Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what genre are we?

• 19-05-2011 11:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭

I need some help here with this. My band recently finished recording a couple of tracks and Im in the process of uploading them to sites like reverbnation, signmetoroadrunner, facebook, youtube etc etc. The thing is though Im having a hard time labeling the music. I want to market the band properly and I dont want to unintentionally mislead people by saying we're one thing only for them to conclude we're something else. So far Ive gone with alt rock but that seems to imply soundscapey post rock stuff which we certainly arent.

So what genre(s)/ sub genre(s) would you use to describe us what bands would you say we sound like?

Thanks in advance to anyone that helps out.

http://soundcloud.com/thejigsawmurders

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

Surely soundscapey post rock stuff would be under 'post rock'? ;)

I wouldn't worry too much about it, people will always come to their own, different conclusions to yours. and when does rock start being alternative instead of just nonspecific rock? (And then when does punk become hardcore, when does death metal become melodic death metal? etc). There isn't a right answer, just accurate ones and inaccurate ones...

For what it's worth, I wouldn't say you're alternative rock (but from what I can gather, alternative rock is rock music that looks a bit outside straight rock for influences and ideas), while your band sounds like a straight up rock band.

But don't worry about it too much, you'll never please everyone so just please yourself :)
    And anyway! It's only putting a name on some stupid genre, it doesn't mean anything to the music! Keep it up!

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭thejigsaw

I hear ya and normally I wouldnt give any thought to genre. If anything I try to avoid sounding too genre based but lately Ive discovered that a lot of people take it very seriously. Especially industry people. Like when you put your tracks up on certain sites youll get recommended in the similar artists section and when every band in that section sounds the same but none of them sound like you you begin to wonder if youre sending the right message! Like rock seems to imply "american sounding downtuned heavyish guitars with moody melodic vocals." and that aint us! I've seen good bands get bad reviews purely because they didnt fufill their supposed genre requirements and I dont want the same thing to happen to us. Obviously were not going to mold ourselves to fit some genre. It took a lot of work for the band to get its own sound and I wouldnt change it for anyone but I do need to put a handle on it so the right people will listen to us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,713 ✭✭✭✭maccored

make up a genre that suits.

• Site Banned Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭MilanPan!c

Alternative...

I would say, and I've been meaning to say this to you guys for ages... I like the stuff, but I do wonder about that guitar sound... it's very metal-y... which is grand, but I think there's gonna be folks that are put off the material due to the guitar sound...

I could just be picky, but ... you know, every little bit counts...

Where did you guys record those two tracks?

Every bit does count. I like the guitar sound but when it comes to recording the songs again for a physical release I will be aiming for a warmer sound with a bit less bite in it. We recorded with Scott Halliday in rathfarnam. I've got ten songs tracked in total and right now were working on getting the vocals down for the other 8.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭CrackisWhack

Wannabeanamericanhipsterfromthemilleradverts rock.

I think you mean wannabeanamericanhipsterfromthemilleradverts..core.

• Site Banned Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭MilanPan!c

thejigsaw wrote: »
    Every bit does count. I like the guitar sound but when it comes to recording the songs again for a physical release I will be aiming for a warmer sound with a bit less bite in it. We recorded with Scott Halliday in rathfarnam. I've got ten songs tracked in total and right now were working on getting the vocals down for the other 8.

Wow! That's great to hear!

Plus Rathfarnham, represent! ;)

Like I said, I do like the sound, more thinking about broadening the appeal is all. :)

At some point we must hook up for a gig or something. :)

That would most definitely be something that Im aiming for. Its not going to be tomorrow or next week for us because the band is just me and the singer, Ann-Marie but when the promo is finished and I get a live band together we should hook something up.

Advertisement