Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

sat nav@<e100

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭NUTZZ

You'd probably be better off posting this in the GPS forum. Can't say I'd fault Garmin too much, I've had my Nuvi 2 years now and and it hasn't given any problems!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I have free worldwide GPS for life on my Nokia phone. Good maps too.
    Before that I had a Tomtom XL.
    Try Argos.ie, I've seen them in there.

tomtom-xl-live-launch.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 25,455 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

ootbitb wrote: »
    this one has some good reviews on the site while the similarly priced Garmin sucks according to some

http://www.halfords.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_11101_catalogId_15551_productId_753705_langId_-1_categoryId_212513#dtab

bit worried about the e35 updates. are these essential as roadbuilding seems to have stopped:D

Are you sure you read all of the reviews on the Halfords site? What about this one...

"I regret having my navman 420i installed. It is massively complicated, and does not work as a navigation device.
    It is impossible to even program in your target address, its one of devices that tries to be too clever and guess/predict wrongly where you're trying to get to. You'll end up somewhere else.
    I have had a Garmin sat nav from Halfords before, and there were no probs with that."

A GPS unit is only as good as the maps that it comes with, there are two main maps suppliers for GPS units, Navteq and Tele Atlas. General consensus on the GPS forum is that Garmin (Navteq) maps are better for Ireland than Tom Tom (Tele Atlas).

I'd be suspicious about major retail chains promoting minority brands like this, it's like the way tyre shops rubbish the big brands and try to get you to buy the sh1te brands they have in stock. Halfords would be making much bigger margins on Navman than they would on Garmin or Tom Tom so do NOT listen to the recommendations from the people on the shop floor, they are not giving you independent opinions based on an objective assessment.

Is it worth paying for map updates given that there's no money for new roads? You need updates to keep up with changes to one-way streets and other seemingly minor changes (e.g. a new 'No Right Turn' rule at a significant junction) that can have a big effect on route calculations.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭fearcruach

I got a TomTom One IQ in Halfords for around 85e. Don't know if they are still doing the deal.

It's small but simple to use and works well. I'm very happy with it.

TomTom-ONE-IQ-Routes-Edition-Satellite-Navigation-Unit-UK-ROI1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭2qk4u

How up to date are these sat navs ? I bought a special offer sat nav from Halfords a couple of years ago but it was 2 years out of date.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭si_guru

I have a Tom Tom XL IQ... my 2nd Tom Tom.

It came with 1 year of updates - which just expired... but I do have all the new motorways in and around Munster.

I can't fault it.

2qk4u wrote: »
    How up to date are these sat navs ? I bought a special offer sat nav from Halfords a couple of years ago but it was 2 years out of date.

To get around the potential problem of retailers being stuck with GPS units in stock containing out of date maps, Garmin will give you the latest maps for free provided you register on their website within 60 days of getting your first satellite fix, this is recorded within the device and verified when you register.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Not sure if Halfords are doing it, but there is a Nuvi 255 Black that comes in a presentation box with a carry case. Should be coming in under €100

Full European mapping, but no Bluetooth or any of the "frills" that you get on a lot of Nav's nowadays, but works well as a Navigator.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭vetstu

Garmin Nuvi 265 with Bluetooth hands-free calling and maps of all of Europe, Eur 104 plus p & p....

http://www.expansys.ie/garmin-nuvi-265-europe-172831/

• Advertisement
Advertisement