Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford Crystal and Queen Elizabeth 2

• 20-05-2011 9:50am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭

Irish times 20/5/11
    THE TINKLING that tickled the Queen emanated from the gentle touching together of Waterford Crystal wine goblets, prompting her to remark “I like this clinking glass”.
    Etiquette experts suggest “clinking” glasses is not the done thing in the presence of royalty, but there was an enthusiastic response when Queen Elizabeth asked those present at Wednesday’s State dinner in Dublin Castle to join her in a toast to President Mary McAleese and the people of Ireland.
    When Mrs McAleese uttered a heartfelt “thank you so much”, the Queen surprised many with a somewhat quirky response: “I like this clinking glass”.
    The off-the-cuff remark was caught by a microphone put in place to record and amplify the Queen’s long-awaited and well-received speech.
    Royal correspondents who had travelled with the British press pack, still flabbergasted at the Queen’s use of Irish at the beginning of her speech, were astonished to hear her make such an informal reference afterwards.
    The glasses belonged to one of four sets of State Waterford Crystal featuring the Irish harp. The precious glassware sets are kept in Dublin Castle, Áras an Uachtaráin, Government Buildings and Farmleigh. Champagne flutes, whiskey tumblers, sherry glasses and many other shapes and styles feature.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 374 ✭✭pocketvenus

Max Powers wrote: »
    Irish times 20/5/11
    THE TINKLING that tickled the Queen emanated from the gentle touching together of Waterford Crystal wine goblets, prompting her to remark “I like this clinking glass”.
    Etiquette experts suggest “clinking” glasses is not the done thing in the presence of royalty, but there was an enthusiastic response when Queen Elizabeth asked those present at Wednesday’s State dinner in Dublin Castle to join her in a toast to President Mary McAleese and the people of Ireland.
    When Mrs McAleese uttered a heartfelt “thank you so much”, the Queen surprised many with a somewhat quirky response: “I like this clinking glass”.
    The off-the-cuff remark was caught by a microphone put in place to record and amplify the Queen’s long-awaited and well-received speech.
    Royal correspondents who had travelled with the British press pack, still flabbergasted at the Queen’s use of Irish at the beginning of her speech, were astonished to hear her make such an informal reference afterwards.
    The glasses belonged to one of four sets of State Waterford Crystal featuring the Irish harp. The precious glassware sets are kept in Dublin Castle, Áras an Uachtaráin, Government Buildings and Farmleigh. Champagne flutes, whiskey tumblers, sherry glasses and many other shapes and styles feature.

That a nice bit of advertising for Waterford Crystal. It actually came into my mind that it would have been nice if Waterford Crystal were comissioned to make a once off piece for the Queen to celebrate her visit to Ireland. I know some gifts were given to her and a nice piece of Waterford Crystal from the Gov / President or whoever would have been lovely.

To get brand back again these are the opportunities we need to be getting involved on. President Obama visit also would be an ideal opportunity as they have stopped giving the shamrock in Waterford Crystal bowls.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 261 ✭✭next

its not really Waterford anymore, unless the one off pieces are made here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,691 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Crystal is still being made, though in smaller quantities, in the new House of Waterford Crystal visitor centre. It is still genuine Waterford Crystal.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭scico rocks

That a nice bit of advertising for Waterford Crystal. It actually came into my mind that it would have been nice if Waterford Crystal were comissioned to make a once off piece for the Queen to celebrate her visit to Ireland. I know some gifts were given to her and a nice piece of Waterford Crystal from the Gov / President or whoever would have been lovely.

To get brand back again these are the opportunities we need to be getting involved on. President Obama visit also would be an ideal opportunity as they have stopped giving the shamrock in Waterford Crystal bowls.

I thought Kenny did this on Paddy's day?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 374 ✭✭pocketvenus

I thought Kenny did this on Paddy's day?

Nope I think WC bowls have not been given in past couple of years.

This bowl was made by another crystal company. The cutter I think was ex Waterford Crystal.

Seriously though as small amounts of glass are being produced down there along with beautiful once off pieces, with all these visit's by Obama etc there is a huge opportunity to get the brand back on world stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭drumaneen

Max Powers wrote: »
    Irish times 20/5/11

Etiquette experts suggest “clinking” glasses is not the done thing in the presence of royalty ........... The glasses belonged to one of four sets of State Waterford Crystal featuring the Irish harp. The precious glassware sets are kept in Dublin Castle, Áras an Uachtaráin, Government Buildings and Farmleigh. Champagne flutes, whiskey tumblers, sherry glasses and many other shapes and styles feature.

Clinking glasses is not correct protocol at formal occasions, not only in the presence of royalty - a real recipe for accidents and embarrassment particularly when the glass is 'precious' the wine is red and the dresses expensive. Her Majesty was showing real class with her comment which shouldn't have been heard - RTE sound guy needs a rocket.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭fuzzy dunlop

Nope I think WC bowls have not been given in past couple of years.

This bowl was made by another crystal company. The cutter I think was ex Waterford Crystal.

Seriously though as small amounts of glass are being produced down there along with beautiful once off pieces, with all these visit's by Obama etc there is a huge opportunity to get the brand back on world stage.

Any chance of a link or something to verify this? I was curious about this on Patrick's day and spent some time trying to find this out. Eventually I found an Irish Times report saying it was Waterford Crystal presented to Obama on Patricks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭fuzzy dunlop

next wrote: »
    its not really Waterford anymore, unless the one off pieces are made here

Why not? Even before Kilbarry was closed much of it was outsourced.Coca Cola is produced in Wexford. It's still an American Brand.Same as Guiness is produced probably mostly produced abroad. Waterford people despite all the Viking and Norman blood seems to have a pure strain of Irish fatalism.

Advertisement