Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can't get my internal serial ATA HDD to display

Options
  • 20-05-2011 10:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭

Hi there....

Built a new computer yesterday, (this spec - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=72236504). I installed my SSD drive via SATA which works and displays but when I came to installing the Samsung Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ I can't see it in windows. I can see it in the device manager but not in My Computer.

Can anybody help? It's connected via SATA to the motherboard. My motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD4-B3. I'm really stuck :mad:

I didn't get any drivers or any guides with the hard-drive.

Is there something I need to do to the BIOS? How come I can see it in the device manager but not in the windows?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

It's a new hard drive?

Right-click on my computer (on the desktop or start menu).
    Click on "manage".
    Head down to "disk management".

You should then be able to see which drives you have.
    It might come up with a message asking you if you want to initialise the drive. Otherwise, find your drive, right-click, format (assuming it is a blank drive) and assign it a drive letter.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭O'Doodle

Phew!! Thanks a million for that. Was half thinking the drive was broken, working now though!.

I was wondering if it was possible to change the home directory to the new hard-drive. I have my operating system installed on the SSD just want the files and the home directory eg my username to be stored on the second drive. I'll figure it out I'm sure.

Thanks again!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Home directory? Sounds like you're in linux.
    Do you mean like files appearing in my documents? If you open my documents, it'll say at the top "Documents library" and underneath, "Includes: 2 locations" (or more). If you click on "2 locations", you can add more folders, including any on your HDD and the contents will appear in there. You can also remove folders and set default save locations here.

159712.png

... at least I think that's what you are asking. You can also get the menu by right-clicking on my documents and going to properties.

Advertisement