Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Expensive Vets Fees?

• 20-05-2011 10:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭

Got the cats booster vacs, the stray cat neutered and vaccinated (1st round of shots), cost 140 euro (50 for each set of vacs & 40 for neutering), husband thought this was way expensive and asked his vet that he uses for the farm who said he would have done the vaccs for 10 each, neutering same price. Bit pissed off at myself that I didn't even think to ask or check beforehand. Does this sound expensive?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 476 ✭✭Blueprint

I'm charged €42 per booster and my tom cat cost €65 when he was neutered (€90 for his sister) 3.5 years ago, so not really. We did get a 10% discount for bringing two at once though. Find it hard to imagine a vet neutering for a tenner!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Not really expensive... depends on what part of the country you're in but 40 for neutering sounds like a bargain!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

Sounds about right, if not cheap for the neutering, don't think you were ripped off at all. If you can get vet care that cheap (ie. the vet your husband uses for the farm), avail of it whenever you can but what they other vet charged is not high for a small animal practice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Doesnt sound at all expensive to me tbh. 40 euro for neutering is very reasonable in fairness, Vaccination maybe slightly on the high side but not excessive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Wow OP, you did really well there on the cost - most places charge about 35 for a cat vaccination and 70 to 100 euro on the neutering.

The large animal vet must be friendly with your OH if he'd do vaccinations for a tenner each - that only covers the cost of the vaccines so he wouldn't be making a profit at all - same with the neutering. I think your OH might be telling porkies there OP! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭audreyp

Wow that is cheap! I have paid 130 for female neutering and about 80 for male. Also vaccines cost about 80 each for me. Though that includes check up, weight check, teeth check etc. It's probably far too expensive but I love my vets. They are amazing and always go that extra mile for my cats and they have been sick a lot!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

Yeh, I did think the neutering at 40 was fine (he is a 6 month old kitten) it was more the vaccs I thought were pricey, I'm sure they were 35 last year, I think husbands vet would do them for the cost of the vaccs because he gets all the farm business, will definitely avail of the vaccs there next time and hopefully no more neutering/spaying costs will come up (unless yet another stray finds me!)

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Green Dog

There are different vaccines available for cats, some cover more diseases (such as Feline Feline Leukemia Virus) than others. There is a fairly big difference in price between the basic vaccines and the more comprehensive ones.
    Although even if other vet was quoting for basic vacc, a tenner is still prob under cost price!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭SophieSakura

Did the vet give the cats a check up before vaccinating? The vaccination is probably cheap but they charge more for consultation/examination so they're often about €50 then

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

She did check my cat but she's got an ongoing injury anyways that she wanted to check, the stray was vaccinated whilst being neutered, I presume she gave him the once over but didn't actually ask!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Personally I'd rather a practicing small animal vet did the neutering on a female cat anyway, as opposed to a large animal vet. Vaccinations - as long as the stock is within date and has been stored properly, I'd stick with your farm vet for any boosters.

Advertisement