Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Zanussi washing machine

• 20-05-2011 11:15am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭

Hey all

I bought a washing machine in July last year, the bearings collapsed 2 months ago and the crowd I bought it off took 4 days to repair, machine back working fine.

Today the machine wont start it's cycle, it fills with water and drains the water thats all, I ring the crowd and I get ahh we cant get it off you today sure we'll see when theres someone around your way..

Am I entitled to look for a refund at this stage? I'm getting pretty pissed off with a new machine breaking down twice in it's first year and also having to go days without the machine while they take it away, and also with their ahh sure attitude..

Cheers in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,954 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

Cheers it's a proper pain in the arse machine out, washes to go on etc etc and it's not a year old yet, I don't hold much hope after the years warranty is up seeing as it crashed twice already.

And their attitude is stink, I wont be getting my next machine of them for sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,954 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

because it has broken twice in such a short time your case for replacement or refund is much stronger and your claim will not be under the warrenty from the manufacturer but under your statutory rights which give a reasonable timeframe so a washing machine used daily and not abused should last 3-5years or more before anything needs replacing.

Cheers all the dirty bastards never even rang me back, so I decided to have a gander myself, had a look underneath and found one of the wires going to the motor broken.

Did a tidy fix on it and away she went, but I'm still raging at the lack of customer service from this lot, where can I name and shame?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭knighted_1

What I can't understand is why you didn't ring zanussi directly ? they looking after warranty - pm me where you bought it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,146 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

bryaner wrote: »
    Cheers all the dirty bastards never even rang me back, so I decided to have a gander myself, had a look underneath and found one of the wires going to the motor broken.

Did a tidy fix on it and away she went, but I'm still raging at the lack of customer service from this lot, where can I name and shame?

Whoever changed the bearings could very well be responsible for the wire breaking later on, if they happened to trap it etc. when the machine was put back together.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 509 ✭✭✭DanWall

I am surprised that they changed the bearings, most modern economy washing machines cannot have the bearings replaced. My bearings packed in after 2½ year of very little use, they had to change the whole drum assembly (inner and outer) a mjor job, it cost me €140 labour, parts had a 5 year warranty.
    Careful when changing manufacturers, do some research, a lot are from the same group, My Tricity Bendix is the same as Zannusi, or Elecrolux, so if yours is Zannisi this looks like a common fault.
    By the way they changed the drum at home, no need to take it away.

knighted_1 wrote: »
    What I can't understand is why you didn't ring zanussi directly ? they looking after warranty - pm me where you bought it

I rang the company that I bought it off, they are responsible for my warranty .

I rang the company that I bought it off, they are responsible for my warranty .

therfore i suspect your were sold a reconditioned machine or as they call them now 'graded' appliances

if your machine is properly warrented you dont have to deal with the shop if you dont want to you can ring zanussi service directly

you should ring zanussi as they are the only ones authorised to carry out warrenty work on thier own appliances

post the model number

• Advertisement

therfore i suspect your were sold a reconditioned machine or as they call them now 'graded' appliances

if your machine is properly warrented you dont have to deal with the shop if you dont want to you can ring zanussi service directly

you should ring zanussi as they are the only ones authorised to carry out warrenty work on thier own appliances

post the model number
    the op's contract of sale is with the vendor/retailer. they are the only people legally responsible for the machine if things go wrong. sometimes customers can bypass the retailer and deal with the manufacturer but may end up paying expensive call out charges which are possible more than the repair cost.

First call should always be to the shop/retailer, let them call the manufacturer if they want or arrange to have the machine repaired or replaced or give a refund as they are obliged to do.

foggy_lad wrote: »
    the op's contract of sale is with the vendor/retailer. .

correct foggy lad well done ,but the contract of repair WITHIN the warrenty period is contracted with the manufacturer .read the WARRENTY card supplied .this is written into law .if there is a problem with repair then the retailer must provide solution as they SOLD the machine .

the op has stated that they only contacted the shop and the way im reading it is that the shop carried out the repair ,which is wrong ,im telling the op to ring the manufacturers direct and check the bona fide of the machine .

this is an area which i have considerable experience and i know the chain of events that should happen and something is wrong in this senario

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭raymark

Hey all

I bought a washing machine in July last year, the bearings collapsed 2 months ago and the crowd I bought it off took 4 days to repair, machine back working fine.

Today the machine wont start it's cycle, it fills with water and drains the water thats all, I ring the crowd and I get ahh we cant get it off you today sure we'll see when theres someone around your way..

Am I entitled to look for a refund at this stage? I'm getting pretty pissed off with a new machine breaking down twice in it's first year and also having to go days without the machine while they take it away, and also with their ahh sure attitude..

Cheers in advance.
    hi there.if it has broken down twice in the last year you need to get them to replace it,as there is possibly a fault in the machine.do try to get them to give you your money back,as the machine is still under guarantee,and the fact that it is faulty should stand to you.good luck.contact company straight away.be polite but firm.raymark

correct foggy lad well done ,but the contract of repair WITHIN the warrenty period is contracted with the manufacturer .read the WARRENTY card supplied .this is written into law .if there is a problem with repair then the retailer must provide solution as they SOLD the machine .

the op has stated that they only contacted the shop and the way im reading it is that the shop carried out the repair ,which is wrong ,im telling the op to ring the manufacturers direct and check the bona fide of the machine .

this is an area which i have considerable experience and i know the chain of events that should happen and something is wrong in this senario
    You are wrong here! Where there is a manufacturers warrenty it is in addition to your statutory rights but can not replace or supercede them. the seller can't insist on you dealing with anyone else as they are legally responsible for providing after sales care and a remedy where goods are not in accordance with your statutory rights

There is only one contract when you buy a washing machine fridge cooker etc etc.
    ordinary consumer contracts only involve the buyer and the seller/retailer.

business contracts are different and involve the need for maintenamce and repair contracts but these are not contracts entered into by the normal joe soap in their local washing machine shop. Coverplan and other such insurance plans are different again and may give a replacement for up to 3-4years when customer damage is an issue but again it can not supercede or diminish or replace a consumers statutory rights!

If the manufacturer provides a warrenty it is written into law yes but only as an addition to statutory rights, so as the op has contacted the shop they are legally obliged to repair replace or refund. the shop can themselves get in touch with the manufacturer to do any repair but they are not allowed to direct the customer to some other company or entity to organise any remedy themselves!

It's still working since my quick fix so cant go back at em atm, cheers for all the advice peoples..;)

Advertisement