Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who fits stairs?

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

Paul.C wrote: »
    I apologise if iv come across argumentative, that is not my intention at all. I just dont understand where this cost has come from. I understand things are tough and sometimes I don't get my desired weekly wage either but passing those overheads to a client will soon put a man out of business.

No worries, my friend. Sure what's wrong with a bit of argument anyway? It's just that I forsee this thread developing into a pre and post celtic tiger pricing debate.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

I fully understand this issue, but the lads I get them off are in the same situation and if they can do it for this price while paying through the nose for rent alone in Dublin then surely a lad in donegal's overheads are going to be substantially smaller.

How long would it take you to mark out and assemble a stairs from plans.
    Also how much would you pay for materials for this particular job.(ballpark figure would do)

All Pine, straight flight, 2 of us would make 2 of them in a long day,we only turn the N Posts as it's cheaper to buy the spindles (pine)than make them. Same stairs in cut string, double the time with a little extra material.
    Material approx 600, price for stairs ( depending on railings, special features, bullnose steps etc) 900 to 1100 +VAT
    Cut string, approx 700 more expensive.

Recently, we started offering spraying and fitting to generate enough work for ourselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭sollar

Some very useful info here thanks everybody.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Paul.C

slowburner wrote: »
    No worries, my friend. Sure what's wrong with a bit of argument anyway? It's just that I forsee this thread developing into a pre and post celtic tiger pricing debate.

My thoughts also:)
    galwayrush wrote: »
    All Pine, straight flight, 2 of us would make 2 of them in a long day,we only turn the N Posts as it's cheaper to buy the spindles (pine)than make them. Same stairs in cut string, double the time with a little extra material.
    Material approx 600, price for stairs ( depending on railings, special features, bullnose steps etc) 900 to 1100 +VAT
    Cut string, approx 700 more expensive.

Recently, we started offering spraying and fitting to generate enough work for ourselves.

cheers, so the price your client pays would be 900-1100+VAT plus the cost of materials?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

If you have the time/inclination you should search for more threads by Galwayrush. You will see some awe inspiring work. It'll make you understand just how much work can go into staircases and surrounds.
    I think staircases rarely get the appreciation they deserve - perhaps it's because they're between places and you're always moving when you're on them. Unless you're at a party and then everyone sits on them.
    I've only ever built one staircase - it took six months :eek: but it was fairly complex and I made every single element from scratch - that's how the architect wanted it done.

• Advertisement

I am well aware of galwayrushes work, he is clearly a top joiner and I agree that a stairs itself has the ability to have a major wow factor in a house if your willing to put some effort in. I'm not a joiner but I will be moving into that field in the near or distant future. I hate loading/unloading tools and would prefer to work in a workshop all the time bar fitting. Anyway thanks for the input lads I think I have dragged this thread off topic enough but the info given must have given the OP enough input for consideration as well as myself. :D:D

All the best

I am well aware of galwayrushes work, he is clearly a top joiner and I agree that a stairs itself has the ability to have a major wow factor in a house if your willing to put some effort in. I'm not a joiner but I will be moving into that field in the near or distant future. I hate loading/unloading tools and would prefer to work in a workshop all the time bar fitting. Anyway thanks for the input lads I think I have dragged this thread off topic enough but the info given must have given the OP enough input for consideration as well as myself. :D:D

All the best

Still on topic, surely?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

My thoughts also:)

cheers, so the price your client pays would be 900-1100+VAT plus the cost of materials?

Including materials.

All the best

I, for one, would love to know how the transition goes, if and when you put a workshop together. Good luck. :)

slowburner wrote: »
    I, for one, would love to know how the transition goes, if and when you put a workshop together. Good luck. :)smile.gif

cheers mate I think Im gonna need it:)

• Advertisement
Advertisement