Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a plush restaraunt...

Options
  • 20-05-2011 12:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭

Hey folks...
    myself & wifey will be celebrating our 1st wedding anniversery soon enough and will be dining out in Galway city.
    Can some of you good folk recoomend a tasy eatery (preferably close to town) for our night.
    Been to Cactus Jacks before, lovely spot but would like to try something different and new!! :D:D

Thanks a mil,

C

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,442 ✭✭✭JoeA3

I'd highly recommend Oscars in Dominick st or alternatively Vina Mara on Augustine Street. You won't do much better than either of those - maximum brownie points are guaranteed :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭s_carnage

Upstairs in McSwiggans. Cajun steak is to die for!!

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭tribesman78

Have to agree on Oscars especially if its just the two of ye. Very intimate place and well suited to smaller groups from 2 -6 people. Mcswiggins can be very hit and miss, its either excellent meal or average meal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭alibabba

I know you said galway city, but if you can get to the White Gables in moycullen, you wont get plusher than that in Co Galway.

Book early though

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭kormak

Thanks for all your tips everyone.
    It looks like Oscars is the place hitting the high notes with some of the reviews online...
    I might give it a try... now to find a reasonably priced fancy pants hotel! :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

Connemara Coast out in Furbo has fantastic food as well. Maybe a bit too 'hotel-y', but I cannot recommend it highly enough! (it's our anniversary and spcial occasion place of choice ;-))

Or Vina Mara!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds1

Gourmet Tart, Oscars or Vina Mara.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭ValerieR

Royal Villa in Salthill (above the Aquarium) or O'Grady's on the Pier in Barna.

Enjoy your meal and Happy Anniversary :)

Valerie

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

kormak wrote: »
    Recommend a plush restaraunt...
    s_carnage wrote: »
    Upstairs in McSwiggans.
    kormak wrote: »
    plush /pləSH/

Adjective: Richly luxurious and expensive.

Are you havin' a laugh or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭pseudonym1

New restaurant open on sea road not sure of the name but it is green and beside Jesuit church... was there last night the food is Devine.. I wouldn't call it plush but if you are looking for really amazing food and nice atmosphere it is a good bet.

Cookes winebar is really nice and romantic,

12 in Barna is good but may be a bit far out of town.

The G has a fab retauraunt and hotel plus spa plus do some good on line deals afaik

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Acidflash

Are you havin' a laugh or what?

There is a strange fascination with mcswiggans on here. People seem to talk about it as if it's a michelan starred restaurant. It's a f**king pub that serves decent pub food, nothing more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭pseudonym1

OP Please don't bring your wife to McSwiggians for dinner for first anniversary check out link below.

http://www.theghotel.ie/dining.html

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

I had a fabulous meal in the Malt House when I was in Galway.

Would recommend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

Friends from Cork had a hen in McSwiggans a few weeks back and didn't have anything good to say about the food

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Simarillion

Try either Kirwan's Lane in town or O'Grady on the Pier in Barna. They're both owned by the same person, but every meal I've had there has been top class and the service is also very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Shanley

The Teppanyaki table in the forster court hotel is the business!

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭paulgalway

Thai Garden Resturant in the Spanish Arch

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭RichT

OP mentioned plush and something different.

Went to the Pullman restaurant at Glenlo Abbey a couple of years ago and thoroughly enjoyed it.

http://www.pullmanrestaurant.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Eviledna

paulgalway wrote: »
    Thai Garden Resturant in the Spanish Arch

I cannot disagree with this more. On may bank holiday weekend I had one of the worst dining experiences in there I've ever had. It used to be a decent place to go years ago, but it has really disimproved - we got unfriendly surly service, mediocre food and the desert was so bad I sent it back.

Do not go there!

I've often had a great experience in the twelve "west" restaurant in Barna, not quite galway city though. It's plush and the food and service are impeccible.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭ValerieR

Just thought about the Park House Restaurant. It's very traditional food but really nice, portions are humongous and staff quite attentive.

Valerie :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 OldAtHeart

The Malt House is top notch grub

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

OldAtHeart wrote: »
    The Malt House is top notch grub
    I hear this also, although have never been myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

a "plush" restaurant?!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭majiktripp

RichT wrote: »
    OP mentioned plush and something different.

Went to the Pullman restaurant at Glenlo Abbey a couple of years ago and thoroughly enjoyed it.

http://www.pullmanrestaurant.com/

Was about to recommend the Pullman, if you want an plush dinner its the place to go, and it aint cheap but its bloody good.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭mitsuko045

I recommend Millhouse Restaurant (Used to be called Mustard)
    Reasonable and YUM.

Splashing out?
    Elwoods Bar and Grill.
    The food there is SPECTACULAR.

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭kormak

Folks, don't worry!
    My wife is a Galwegian and would kill me if I brought her to McSwiggans on our anniversary.
    Nothing against the place though... lovely wee spot for a pint of plain on a Saturday evenin!
    So Oscars booked, I'm now thinking what cool activity stuff we could do for the afternoon...
    apart from the obvious; makin babies and such :P..
    anyone know of any quirky massage/holistic venues to go to in Galway city??

Advertisement