Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

More gear agony...

• 20-05-2011 12:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭

I always have trouble finding jackets that fit as I'm quite tall. I’m reluctant to have them order stuff in as I always have problems with gear that’s too short for me in body and/ or arm length.

I’m looking for a safe, decent qualty, long-ish touring or casual style jacket that I could potentially wear all year round in reasonable comfort. I don't use the bike for daily transport but milder Winter days, I'll try to get out for a spin. Either leather or textile is fine. Ideally, it wouldn’t be obviously a bike jacket. eg I was looking at this

1HL10048-68__25733_zoom.jpg

but it’s out of stock at the wholesaler and I was a little concerned about it being too warm in Summer. I love the styling though.

l have two bikes- a blue and black Busa and a blue and white GSX1400. I’m prepared to spend a bit of money for the right thing. Between risking cold in Winter of heat in Summer, I’ll choose cold. I can’t stand heat.

Noob question: who are the main brands out there? I haven’t had tons of gear. I’ve had Richa mainly. I’ve just bought a Furygan short Summer textile jacket as a stop-gap. I’ve also looked at the Alpinestars and Dainese websites but I really don’t know what other companies are worth checking out for premium gear. None of the shops in Cork are very well stocked at the moment. I tried on every jacket in Lee last week and they had nothing that would fit the bill.

Thanks guys.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

How about one of these?
    Held make tall sizes as well, have a look at the grey box, clothes/shoe sizes.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,399 ✭✭✭✭maameeo

duno what shops are down in cork but theres cotters in dublin, they'd have a large selection or gear.

While im at it, is there any bike shops in cork, i cant go for a looksie when im down next week :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

CJhaughey wrote: »
    How about one of these? Held make tall sizes as well, have a look at the grey box, clothes/shoe sizes.

I've never heard of them. Are they a mainstream brand? :o
    maameeo wrote: »
    duno what shops are down in cork but theres cotters in dublin, they'd have a large selection or gear. While im at it, is there any bike shops in cork, i cant go for a looksie when im down next week :D

I'm tempted to travel up. Do Cotters stock a lot of different brands? I definitely need to try stuff on. Most of the stuff I try on that's 'my' size, just don't work for me.

BMW Motorad and Lee Honda are almost side by side in Little Island. You have the Triumph centre off the South Link. They're the big ones really. If you had time, you could travel down near Kinsale to Tyners. It's like the old curiosity shop! He could have anything from a brand new gixxer to an exhaust hang from a classic Goldwing and ANYTHING in between !! The place is an assault on the senses and John's a bit of a character. He probably bits for both of your bikes. Lunch in Kinsale, then. Perfect day out.

cantdecide wrote: »

I'm tempted to travel up. Do Cotters stock a lot of different brands? I definitely need to try stuff on. Most of the stuff I try on that's 'my' size, just don't work for me.

BMW Motorad and Lee Honda are almost side by side in Little Island. You have the Triumph centre off the South Link. They're the big ones really. If you had time, you could travel down near Kinsale to Tyners. It's like the old curiosity shop! He could have anything from a brand new gixxer to an exhaust hang from a classic Goldwing and ANYTHING in between !! The place is an assault on the senses and John's a bit of a character. He probably bits for both of your bikes. Lunch in Kinsale, then. Perfect day out.

you should and you could come stay with us, hmm maybe i should ask my bf before i offer things like that :pac:

nah they have a large range and always seem to have sales on. got my gear there, pink and black :D they did me a really good deal too.

any of those shops sell gear? its armour i need next :)

you should and you could come stay with us, hmm maybe i should ask my bf before i offer things like that...

You leave him to me... ;)

:D
    nah they have a large range and always seem to have sales on. got my gear there, pink and black :D they did me a really good deal too. any of those shops sell gear? its armour i need next :)

I think they'll all have decent gear but I think BMW and Triumph might do their own branded gear which is €€€€€€€€€

Lee do a lot of non-Honda gear and they do have Knox on display. I actually had a look for you and it does appear that you can mix and match backs and fronts going by their display. Tyner probably made dogs beds out of most of the gear he has on display :D

• Advertisement

cantdecide wrote: »
    You leave him to me... ;)

:D

I think they'll all have decent gear but I think BMW and Triumph might do their own branded gear which is €€€€€€€€€

Lee do a lot of non-Honda gear and they do have Knox on display. I actually had a look for you and it does appear that you can mix and match backs and fronts going by their display. Tyner probably made dogs beds out of most of the gear he has on display :D

haha! awesome, ill have a look at google maps and see if we can get to some stores as well as touristy stuff!

thanks for looking at those for me too!

haha! awesome, ill have a look at google maps and see if we can get to some stores as well as touristy stuff! thanks for looking at those for me too!

My pleasure, m'dear :)

If gear is the priority, go to Lee. They're the easiest to get to, too. They're only about 10 mins from Fota. Cobh is only about 5 mins beyond that. The Jameson Experience in Midleton, just down the road. Is that touristy enough for ya? You won't want to go home.

OMG, look how far OT you've made me drag my own thread. You really are diabolical :D

Funny that Held doesn't have a bigger presence here but it is a big brand in the US and in Germany.
    They make good stuff check their gloves out
    Stingray, Kangaroo and carbon fibre!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭Rosahane

Both BMW and Hein Gericke do both short and long fittings for some of their range. Expensive though, but it lasts - my BMW Streetguard suit is still perfectly waterproof five years after I bought it :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭daveyjoe

CJhaughey wrote: »
    They make good stuff check their gloves out
    Stingray, Kangaroo and carbon fibre!

Nice but €240 is crazy expensive for gloves :-O

daveyjoe wrote: »
    Nice but €240 is crazy expensive for gloves :-O
    Agreed, I don't have a pair;)
    BUT if I did have a spare 240 knocking around then I wouldn't say no.

Advertisement