Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How would i write a letter to a td in relation to poor public transport

Options
  • 20-05-2011 12:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭

How would i write a letter to a td in relation to the p1ss poor public transport system in rural galway and who would i send it too.

The bus service in my area only really caters for people working the typical 9 to 5 job. Many young unemployed people are effectively trapped in unemployment because many jobs would fall outside from the typical 9 to 5. And no way would there be enough jobs in my area for all the unemployed. They have no choice but to head to the city. And again they are trapped into seeking 9 to 5 work. With no money, they cant afford to rent and besides if they were offered a job they have extra stresses in seeking accommadation fast. They cant afford a car.

I live in a built up area and I firmly believe if there was a proper public transport bus service, something reliable, it would be used. Especially now in times of a recession where people would probably be more than happy to ditch their cars if they have a vehicle.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

Try emailing them... Derek Nolan is very accessible and pro public transport...

http://www.oireachtas.ie/viewdoc.asp?fn=/documents/Members_emails/document1.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

Try emailing them... Derek Nolan is very accessible and pro public transport...

http://www.oireachtas.ie/viewdoc.asp?fn=/documents/Members_emails/document1.htm

My no.2 vote he was. I'll if I can construct a letter email at some stage during the weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭dell1211

ilovesleep wrote: »
    How would i write a letter to a td in relation to the p1ss poor public transport system in rural galway and who would i send it too.

The bus service in my area only really caters for people working the typical 9 to 5 job. Many young unemployed people are effectively trapped in unemployment because many jobs would fall outside from the typical 9 to 5. And no way would there be enough jobs in my area for all the unemployed. They have no choice but to head to the city. And again they are trapped into seeking 9 to 5 work. With no money, they cant afford to rent and besides if they were offered a job they have extra stresses in seeking accommadation fast. They cant afford a car.

I live in a built up area and I firmly believe if there was a proper public transport bus service, something reliable, it would be used. Especially now in times of a recession where people would probably be more than happy to ditch their cars if they have a vehicle.

I hope you are not purely going to moan to him and make a general request such as we need more buses. What you are saying is all well and good but unless you are going to make some viable proposals then i dont really see the point in emailing as Im sure most local councillors/tds are well aware of the fact that galways bus service is crap

• Registered Users Posts: 9,253 ✭✭✭squonk

OP I'd email them. It's handier than writing a letter. Also, no offence here or anything, but your post here was moany... poor me, no bus, poor unemployed, unemployed because of no bus.

Stick to the issues but offer some solutions. For instance,

I live in X, bus Y runs every 30 minutes til 6PM and 1 hour thereafter. I would suggest running a more frequent service util 9PM. Alternatively, Bus Z has a route near my area. A small alteration by the addition of a new bus stop at A road would allow a lot more people to avail of the service, which they would do as it's timetable is better or it would effectively ensure a bus service every 30 minutes.

Look at it from your TD's perspective. He/She is receiving all kinds of requests from people every day. If 10 people out of 20 suggest something relatively similar, it will be easy to turn that into an action point, and a way of creating a policy that the representative can then follow up on, print on literature and say at the next election, you aske me for this, and I delivered.

Bear in mind that writing to your TD won't make it so! There are cuts in spending going on right now so it might be a case of being grateful you have any bus service. I'd try visiting their clinics also. Sometimes a direct approach is good and you can exchange views.

Im working a 60+ working week and worked for two weeks solid without a break. and am exhausted. have a small rainy day fund of less than 1000 to fall back on if needs be. my family has fallen on hard times and im sick of them coming to me for loans for cars especially when im on foot and cant afford a car. probably money ill never see again. causing huge stress and pressure at home because im selfish even though im not living at home and have my own rent and bills and food and life to lead.

• Advertisement

Im working a 60+ working week and worked for two weeks solid without a break. and am exhausted. have a small rainy day fund of less than 1000 to fall back on if needs be. my family has fallen on hard times and im sick of them coming to me for loans for cars especially when im on foot and cant afford a car. probably money ill never see again. causing huge stress and pressure at home because im selfish even though im not living at home and have my own rent and bills and food and life to lead.

What do you expect the TD to do about that?

dell1211 wrote: »
    What do you expect the TD to do about that?

A proper bus service woule releive a lot of finiancial pressure of many families.

A proper bus service woule releive a lot of finiancial pressure of many families.

cant see how an email with the above in it will lead to an improved bus service, take the advice given by squonk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭donalg1

Pen and Paper

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭PomBear

cant see how an email with the above in it will lead to an improved bus service, take the advice given by squonk

highlighting the problem shows TDs the importance of the problem to them. what other way would you suggest?

OP, many Galway TDs and Senators(will do when they take their seats) also have open clinics in their offices where you can talk face to face with them. Here's the emails below:

noel.grealish@oireachtas.ie

sean.kyne@oireachtas.ie

derek.nolan@oireachtas.ie

eamon.ocuiv@oireachtas.ie

brian.walsh@oireachtas.ie

• Advertisement

PomBear wrote: »
    highlighting the problem shows TDs the importance of the problem to them. what other way would you suggest?

see post number 4 and 5.

All im saying is its likely that each td in the country gets loads of emails every day with peoples problems with everyone wanting something. Unless there is a viable solution(which is where the OP comes in by making suggestions on how to improve/eliminate the problem) then there is not much that the TD can do in the current climate.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Miss Informed

http://contact.ie/contact

Great resource, use it wisely. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭PomBear

see post number 4 and 5.

All im saying is its likely that each td in the country gets loads of emails every day with peoples problems with everyone wanting something. Unless there is a viable solution(which is where the OP comes in by making suggestions on how to improve/eliminate the problem) then there is not much that the TD can do in the current climate.

so you're suggesting don't email at all? squonk said to email lad nd make it well planned.

If you're suggesting not to email, you don't get what a elected representative is there for......

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

why not get on your bike?

Advertisement