Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TomTom Go Live 1000

Options
  • 20-05-2011 2:01pm

This device would be perfect only for the fact you can NOT save a route.

I want to go to east point business park form Kildare and tomtom leads me up the M50 which is grand, then through the tunnel, not grand. So I have to click on avoid part of route, grand. Anyway I spend nearly 20 minutes clicking on avoiding parts of route to discover that I can not save the damn route so I can use it again without going through all the avoid routes again!

I bet this evening when I want to get out of east point it will again lead me through the tunnel when the best way is out through Ballymun, because I don't want to pay the toll charge and there can be major queues on the M1 north out of the city all the way to the M50 roundabout, now unless it detects the traffic and re routes me around it remains to be seen, but it will still lead me up the tunnel and if I set to avoid tolls it will not send me onto the M50 at all.

The live traffic I have yet to use, but I'm sure it will be very useful.

I am extremely disappointed that you can not save your own routes, it's fine for point and go, but sitting in the car and having to set it to avoid routes all the time is really annoying and takes a lot of time which defeats the purpose!

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

If you just drive past the entrance of the tunnel it will re-route you , or if you go into your settings menu you can set it to avoid toll rods (or this can be asked at the start of planning).

Or try this : http://houghi.org/tomtom/

How long have you got it ??

sharkman wrote: »
    If you just drive past the entrance of the tunnel it will re-route you , or if you go into your settings menu you can set it to avoid toll rods (or this can be asked at the start of planning).

Or try this : http://houghi.org/tomtom/

How long have you got it ??

I have it only since Tuesday.

Anyway I got to East Point, by setting avoid maybe 20 times to get the route I wanted and not where TomTom wanted to send me.

On the way home again it tried to send me through the tunnel.

I know I can drive past the tunnel entrance and it will re route me, however I like to be able to set the route to a route I want.

I found the traffic in Dublin so far today to be accurate enough, but I found it would not divert you around some traffic because it might lead you on a minor road. It MAKES you stay on main roads even though it is absolutely clear that the road ahead has traffic jams, that it could divert you down a minor road but it won't!

On the way home it said there was 10 mins delays on the N7 at the big ball at Naas when there was no delays at all, (yeah I know highly unusual ) :) so i don't trust it's traffic just yet!

Thanks for the link I will check it out now!

Okay update.

I was coming out of Dublin yesterday evening and there was a crash as usual on the N7 south, hahaha BMW X5 I think, tuff S**T pay more attention next time! That's going to be an expensive repair for whoever was the idiot! :p

Anyway, the TomTom told me that going through the 40 minute jam was still the fastest way WTF ???

So I thought to myself I'll go out through Tallaght or Firhouse, and out through Bohernabreena, So Off I went on my merry way when Jaysus low and behold she spoke to me! She said she found a alternative route that is faster do I want to go that way? I sad oh bejaysus I do so I told her yes and She guided me safely Home through Maynooth! :D

Now if Maynooth was the faster route, I don't know, but It surely didn't really delay me much! From East Point it took 1 hr 40 mins through Maynooth, Clane, Sallins and out at Naas at the B&Q exit to Carlow!

By the way I was impressed how quick I got through Lucah??? holy cow!
    That underpass sure made a major difference, I have not been through Lucan in a long time! nice one! :D

Now all they have to do is the same at Newlands Cross, and put three lanes from the big ball in Naas to the Kilcullen M9 exit! I'll be a happy chappy then for sure! :D

So anyway I was impressed, however I wish it would have calculated the alternative route before I got almost on top of the accident and I wouldn't have been swearing at the damn yoke in the car at East Point! It told me just b4 the toll on the M50, too close to the N4 turn off if you ask me on the busy M50!

Anyway it's useful when you are from the sticks like me and could be in different parts of Dublin any time!

I still know it could provide better alternatives, because when you look at the map when you get home and remember the traffic jam you were in, TomTom doesn't even offer you a different route because it thinks by staying to the main routes, that it's still the quickest route. Maybe maybe not?

I think if only a back road were the only road home like through Bohernabreena, I don't think it would send you down it at all and even if Tallaght and Blessington were blocked it would probably send you miles a different direction.

It will get you there nevertheless and I suppose I am happy enough!

The live traffic is well worth though simply because traffic updates on the radio are slow and useless sometimes, and someone text in 2fm or TodayFM, can't remember which, to say there was an accident on the N7 at Rathcoole, I was going to Dublin at that time, but the ass didn't say north or south, and I was going nuts because I didn't know LOL!

Oh the joys of driving! :D

Advertisement