Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice needed please....

• 20-05-2011 2:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭

just looking for a bit of info on my rights, any info is gonna be helpful.

ok here goes,
    somebody reported me to the gspca for supposidly mistreating my dog and not feeding him...which is complete rubbish.

the inspector came to my house to take my dog away and i agreed for her to take him for an assment as i have nothing to hide. the inspectors adviser called me yesterday sayin that my dog is happy and healthy after them doing there assment so firstly i asked when can i have him back and i got a reply basically her saying because i have 3yr old daughter its not a good idea for the dog to return home..yet she said the dog was fine. in my eyes this is just a sad excuse to return the dog.

id just like to know what my rights are regarding this and where do i stand legally.

thanks again.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭kennyw

Oh my god.. That is terrible..

Wat type of dog is it that you own.?

I cant give any legal advise or know where to start, but i do wish you all the best with this, and I hope you get your dog back as soon as possible and get the outcome that you deserve, which is getting your pet back.!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭ppink

What??? Are you serious?

The Gspca are not affiliated to the Ispca from what i can see

http://www.ispca.ie/Members-Galway.aspx

how did they have ot take your dog away to prove you are not feeding it....surely that is visable on the spot?

They have zero rights ot tell you you cant have the dog back as far as I know, unless maybe it is restricted breed and you are on council land and by-laws forbid it??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭portgirl123

OMG, i cant believe that they can do this, dont know the legal aspect but surely they cant keep ur dog because u have kids, if this is the case sure dogs would be takin off nearly half dog owners. Not that it matters what breed is the dog? even if on the restricted list they cant keep your dog. if this was me i would be shouting from the hightest spot i could find, police, dog warden council. solicitors. i would be demanding my dog back NOW.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭c_lady89

he is a 3yr old staffie.....pure ould baby!

this had caused so much stress in the house since he left & thats 2weeks monday coming. had to tell the little 1 he was going on holidays for a lil while. broke our hearts.

i cant seem to find any info online about a matter like this.
    and seems nobody i no knows anything about the power they have to keep our dog.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭portgirl123

Sorry just to clear my own mind. Did you see id card. Are you sure this was a bona fida inspector?

• Advertisement

Are you on council property or your own place?

i have heard of that inspector from alot of people i know she is legit.

not many people seem to like her including the dog warden from his area. he is bulling over whats happened...in less words he sais she is nothing but a cu*t

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

If you didn't mistreat the dog, why did you let them take it away? I'd have told them to get knotted and to go back to whoever made the false report. Did you get any paperwork or the name of the people assessing your dog?

'cptr

ppink wrote: »
    Are you on council property or your own place?
    no im in rented accom.

If you didn't mistreat the dog, why did you let them take it away? I'd have told them to get knotted and to go back to whoever made the false report. Did you get any paperwork or the name of the people assessing your dog?

'cptr

simply because i have nothing to hide and was happy for them to check him out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Eh i suggest a solicitor ASAP!! You need to act fast with this situation. I cant understand why you would just hand over your dog like this??:confused:

andreac wrote: »
    Eh i suggest a solicitor ASAP!! You need to act fast with this situation. I cant understand why you would just hand over your dog like this??:confused:
    as i said before i have nothing to hide and they just said he was fine i will be ringing the lady that rang me yesterday and demanding him back or they can deal with my solicitor

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Bookworm85

Hmmm,

OP this 'inspector' seems very suspicious.

I've never heard of a dog being removed for asessment before! An animal would have to be in fairly bad state before it is seized.

When you say she is legit, what do you mean? What organisation is she working for? Could she be a dog warden? If you know her name call the ISPCA and your local authority asap to confirm whether or not she belongs to them.

If she isn't affiliated with either go STRAIGHT to the gardai!

c_lady89 wrote: »
    as i said before i have nothing to hide and they just said he was fine i will be ringing the lady that rang me yesterday and demanding him back or they can deal with my solicitor

the reason we are saying this is because there have been several "incidences" like this and some have resulted in dogs being kept in pounds for years while legal battles ensue. Also a lot of dodgy people picking up dogs who claim to be wardens and are not! but you know this warden so at least that is not the case with you.
    If I were you I would go there and demand the dog back if not call the guards and let them sort it out on the spot.

Bookworm85 wrote: »
    Hmmm,

I've never heard of a dog being removed for asessment before! An animal would have to be in fairly bad state before it is seized.

When you say she is legit, what do you mean? What organisation is she working for? Could she be a dog warden? If you know her name call the ISPCA and your local authority asap to confirm whether or not she belongs to them.

i have contact details for her and her supervisor and everything checks out regarding names...

well the inspector said she wasnt trained to acess the dog and there vet would have to look at him.

she is an inspector for the galway spca.

This is a very bizarre situation if you ask me and it doesnt add up at all...

I would be down there right now demanding my dog back. You need to act now and not be waiting around to get in touch with wardens etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭CreedonsDogDayc

Maybe the quickest and easiest thing would be to pretend that your 'brother' is taking the dog as you've had a think about it and you dont have the time to dedicate to the dog as well as the baby? Most important thing is to get the dog back in your custody. And make sure you have a dog licence!
    Once you have the dog back kick up a major fuss, there is NO reason for you not to have your dog because you have a child. Its ridiculous!!

• Registered Users Posts: 25 sirbob

as far as i know they have no authority to keep ur dog i would go straught down an demand it bac an contact a solicitor this is another case of sumone been to big in der boats an over steping the line then they wonder why ppl dont like them in der profession its terrible ....

wish you the best of luck hope you get ur dog bac soon

i have contact details for her and her supervisor and everything checks out regarding names...

well the inspector said she wasnt trained to acess the dog and there vet would have to look at him.

The Galway SPCA might not be affiliated with the ISPCA. Call the ISPCA now to see if they are, and if they aren't then they had no right to take your dog. Check this out now OP, dont delay any longer please. If it turns out they are nothing to do with the ISPCA contact the gardai please!

ETA: ISPCA - 044 33 25035

OP, just did a bit of digging,

According to the ISPCA website they do not have an inspector for galway

http://www.ispca.ie/Inspectorate-Fast-Facts.aspx

If I were you I'd get down their now and get your dog back!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭CreedonsDogDayc

if your going to go down and demand the dog back id recommend going to the guards first, explain your situation, and get a garda to go to get the dog with you

have just got off the phone with the inspectors supervisor.

she said due to the allegations made this matter is being taking seriously and there will be a decision made on tuesday.

supposidly there ''research'' says that the dog is protective of its enviorment...i just said to her that is every dog not just a certian breed. i said they would be hearing from my soliciotr and she said that its 100% my right to do so. but im being met with dead ends when it comes to straight answers. im just going to go to the guards and tell them the situation as im dealing with a lovely guard there about a different matter. i have bin in touch with the warden for this area before and was talking to him this morning...he said there a load of A-holes and think they can bully people.

the warden was collecting a stray dog that i took in a few months ago and seem my dog..i thought that if there was a problem he would have said something but he said he was such a friendly dog and there was not a thing wrong with him.

im going to get on to the ISPCA now an see what they have to say about this.

Afaik they cannot seize your dog without a court order, so get to a solicitor now!!!!

OP get your dog now,

its 4.30 on a Friday, if you leave it any longer he'll be probably be stuck there for the rest of the weekend. Go down to the guards and get one of them to accompany you when you pick him up.

I dont know how she can claim that OP..either the dog is underweight or not:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

Bookworm85 wrote: »
    Hmmm,

+1 million
    I know you said you have nothing to hide but I still don't understand why you would hand over your dog, did this woman have any ID on her? Do you know where your dog is being kept? Can you go to where the dog is? I would literally be banging on the door to get to my dog.
    I find this completely bizarre.
    Do you know who reported you? Is it anything to do with your dog being a Staffy do you think?

Edited as I've just read page 2, I was so irate I didn't realise there was a page 2!!
    I know exactly who you mean there is only 1 inspector for the GSPCA, I would be very very very surprised if they have any rights or power to keep your dog, is it being held at the gspca place in Killimor? If so I would be straight down there and I tell you, there's no way I'd be leaving without my dog.
    I'm literally even more amazed reading page 2!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

Just to say, DO NOT LET THEM BULLY YOU, I have had quite a few dealings with the gspca and whilst they do have dogs best interests at heart, sometimes they can be a bit 'misguided' shall we say
    They are NOT affiliated with the ISPCA
    They DO NOT HAVE THE RIGHT TO KEEP YOUR DOG

There will be someone there this evening and at the weekend, go and get your dog, bring someone with you who you trust but don't leave without your dog.

I'm actually infuriated reading this post. HOW DARE THEY!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭bitter_lemon

well i'm sure they had the dogs welfare in mind. i hardly doubt it was taken for no reason :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

We're only getting one side of the story here but it does all sound a bit odd.
    Can't even get an warden or anything round here if there are loose dogs running around so suprised they went to so much trouble to get the dog and take the dog usually an animal would have to be in a bad way and behaviour wise many dogs are protective of their environment from toy dogs to terriers to labs.

Btw vets in general are not qualified to assess a dogs behaviour unless they have trained in this area they can give an assessment of health and general behaviour but can't give you an in-depth proffesional assessment unless they have the qualifications to back it up.

• Advertisement

sorry only letting ye know this now was on the phone to the Ispca.

the lady said to go to the guards and report him stonlen and to providde all the details i have of them and to make a formal complaint to the bord of gspca.

long story cut short i know exactly who reported me.....because all they want to do is cause as much trouble and stress for me as they can. making up bull to just to get at me....im goin up to the guards now to make a statement.

Advertisement