Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice needed please....

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭c_lady89

Tranceypoo wrote: »
    Just to say, DO NOT LET THEM BULLY YOU, I have had quite a few dealings with the gspca and whilst they do have dogs best interests at heart, sometimes they can be a bit 'misguided' shall we say
    They are NOT affiliated with the ISPCA
    They DO NOT HAVE THE RIGHT TO KEEP YOUR DOG

There will be someone there this evening and at the weekend, go and get your dog, bring someone with you who you trust but don't leave without your dog.

I'm actually infuriated reading this post. HOW DARE THEY!!!

just wondering where to go as they have not told me nor will they tell me where my dog is being kept.

which ISPCA said they cant keep that information from me.
    so i will go tomorrow as its late now and it will more than likely be a long drive if he is in the sancutry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

I'd be almost sure he'd be at the sanctuary, where abouts in Galway are you? Do you know where it is in Killimor? I can give you direction if you need them, or (ironically), there are directions on their website.

Honestly, in the past I have found it hard to get the gspca to respond to any reports of dogs or horses that I have phoned them on so I'm astonished that this woman just took the dog away on the story of one person.

I would head out to the sanctuary in the morning, as I said, take someone with you who knows the whole situation, don't know about you but if it was me I would be inclined to lose the head a bit so I would need someone to keep the situation calm, also to give you some support and help you stand your ground. If they flat out refuse to give the dog to you I would phone the guards in front of them and tell them that your dog that you reported stolen is here at the gspca, you have proof you own him (bring any vets receipts, pictures, licence if you have it, anything you can think of that could be used as proof it's your dog) and they won't give it back to you and you want to report them.

Also, would it be possible to get the ISPCA to call them on this, they're not affiliated I know but a call to reiterate to them what they have told you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

OP when the lady took the dog, did she make you sign some paperwork? If so you may have unwittingly signed over the dog to the GSPCA and may not be able to get him back in the eyes of the law.

I cannot believe what I am reading here. :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

It would appear that the GSPCA did not seize, steal, or take the dog. The owner agreed to let them take it. So it all boils down to what was said & agreed. Did you get a receipt for the dog ?. Do you have any witnesses to the conversation between you & the Inspector ?. I suspect that the dog would be released immediately if a solicitor called the GSPCA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭fatmammycat

First of all you should NEVER have let your dog go, regardless of having nothing to hide or not. She could easily have looked the animal over and checked if it was underweight or in pain or had no shelter or whatever on site. ( I'm not saying this is the case, but in yard I worked years ago someone called the DSPCA complaining about the dogs and they came and rolled their eyes at the stupidity of the complaint once they saw the dogs)
    Secondly, this animal is your property and they have no right to take your property for no reason. Go get your animal back ASAP before something dreadful happens. Did you sign paperwork to release the animal?

• Advertisement

OP, just wondered if there was any outcome to this situation yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭fatmammycat

Has there been any news on this poor dog?

hi guys.

had to wait till this morning to do anything as the ones that deal with this sort of stuff are not around at the weekends.
    so they lady i spoke to on friday was an utter rude B****! i said my solicitor would be in touch on monday with her.

soooo....

got a call at roughly half 9 this morning from another inspector just as i was putting in credit to get back on to them.

he arranged a time to come to my house and speak with us over the matter.

long story cut short our dog is safe and sound back at HOME:)

no problem with the dog what so ever apart from the brand of food i was feeding him wasnt good for him so change that and bobs your uncle!!

thanks everyone for your help on this

cheers!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭ppink

so he was skinny then as a result of the food? sometimes it can be hard ot find the right food for you particular dog but I would have thought they should have discussed this with you first off rather than taking the dog?

anyway glad you got it sorted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

What food was the dog on and what one are you going to feed him now?

• Advertisement

It was the optidog one from lidl.... didnt think anything of it picking it up for him, the man recomended to feed him workers.

seems the food i was feeding him he wasnt getting enough from it...
    if i knew that i wouldnt have been feeding him it.
    so off went my OH and got a bag of the workers food.

he said that he was a slight bit under weight but thats not a issure due to his age just the food i was giving him wasnt worth even buyin.

but all i have to say about that woman inspector is that she is nothing but a walking C***!

she has no people skills nor knows how to talk to a person in such a situation as when she came here.

What is the workers food?? Where did you get it? Lidl food is pure muck really, and unless i was very poor and on a very low budget i wouldnt feed supermarket food of any sort.

I suggest you go to a good pet shop and get a good quality food like Royal Canin, Burns, Red Mills, James Wellbeloved or Hills, there is plenty to choose from.

What breed is your dog again?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭ppink

well you will always get odd personalities everywhere I suppose.

I dont know anything about the workers brand but if you are stuck and need advice on food this forum is usually quite good. some foods just will not suit your dog and thats it. there are so many out there now though it can be hard to pick and of course depend on your budget for the food.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭portgirl123

great news that you got your dog back. Just becareful changing over brands of food, dont do it all at once or you will give your dog a bad tummy,. do it gradually over a period of 5-7 days, decreasing his old food so edventually your just feeding him the new stuff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 989 ✭✭✭piperh

Can i just ask was he obviously skinny?

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭CreedonsDogDayc

delighted he's home!

i wouldnt have thought he was skinny but he wasnt fat either.

seems this workers food is for working dogs and is full of eveything they need. if he recomended it it has to be good. he said thats what he feeds his two rotties.

yeah he said to gradually reduce what i was feeding him and mix in the workers till hes off it..basically weening him off the other food i was feeding him.

im still not happy with them and there actions and will be getting back on to them over it, ill let it lay for today as he is home here with us now. maybe go to the chairperson of the gspca, and see what they have to say about the way this was delt with

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

c_lady89 wrote: »
    i wouldnt have thought he was skinny but he wasnt fat either.

seems this workers food is for working dogs and is full of eveything they need. if he recomended it it has to be good. he said thats what he feeds his two rotties.

yeah he said to gradually reduce what i was feeding him and mix in the workers till hes off it..basically weening him off the other food i was feeding him.

im still not happy with them and there actions and will be getting back on to them over it, ill let it lay for today as he is home here with us now. maybe go to the chairperson of the gspca, and see what they have to say about the way this was delt with

Most pet food companies do a 'working' food, what is the brand?

just says worker complete on the bag and at the bottom says welham estate???

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shanao

Had a look at the website, doesn't look like a very good quality food- when you click on details it doesn't even tell you what's in it. Tbh, I'd stay away from it and get a good quality food like one of the ones andreac mentioned.

OP- Is there a list of ingredients on the bag? The first ingredient of a good quality dog food should be a meat meal or dried meat.

• Advertisement

Sorry, but no harm, that food doesnt look like good quality at all, certainly not for that price.

I really would urge you to look into getting a very good quality food in a good pet shop like the ones i mentioned.
    When it doesnt even list the ingredients on the site anywhere then you can alomost guarantee its not good quality...

But is he a working dog? Otherwise you shouldn't be feeding him a food for working dogs, I imagine it would be higher in protein and may even make him a bit more hyperactive. As Shanao says, if the first ingredient isn't meat then it's probably a crappy food.

What breed dog is it as I'm sure others on here could recommend a good quality food, if it's a pedigree it may need a specific breed food.

If it's a mutt, well my two are mutts and I feed them on Barking Heads dog food which I get from Petworld, it's a tenner for a 2kg bag so not the cheapest but they both are thriving on it and my foster dog had a dodgy tummy and bad wind when I first got her but it sorted her out after a couple of weeks.

Just edited to add that just because the dog warden or so called 'expert' from the gspca recommends something I wouldn't take it as gospel, I mean they've already proved to you they're not exactly experts at animal welfare haven't they?!!

well it has the labeling on the back of the bag forget what it all was but im going to use that till its gone..

in fairness no point in wasting it. but i will look to buy one of the brands you recomended :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Working dog food is generally higher in protein than pet dog food, as working dogs use more energy. It is also usually cheaper, in the UK, where that Welham Estates food comes from, working food is zero VAT, here in Ireland, it is reduced VAT.

The website for that food has absolutely no information on it at all, it doesn't say whats in the food, what the analysis is, i.e. protein, fat, oils etc. I wouldn't feed that to my dogs. I would actually suggest that you stick with the Lidls food rather than feed that new food, at least it comes from Germany where they have very high standards as to what goes into dog food. If you think your dog is skinny, just give him extra food.

The man who took your dog and who has recommended this Welham Estates food doesn't sell it by any chance does he? I've never heard of it, and I still can't get my head around your story of someone coming to your door and taking your dog away. Then you get the dog back and the person who returns it recommends a food that is really not well known at all.

Advertisement