Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with viruses

• 20-05-2011 3:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

This mornig alerts started popping up on my laptop saying I had 29 infections. All of the automatic solutions to remove them require an expensive download. I cannot use any web browsers on my laptop also but have a PC. Does anyone know of a free way to remove them?
    Thank you in adavance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

mchoa696 wrote: »
    This mornig alerts started popping up on my laptop saying I had 29 infections. All of the automatic solutions to remove them require an expensive download. I cannot use any web browsers on my laptop also but have a PC. Does anyone know of a free way to remove them?
    Thank you in adavance.

Download malwarebytes, run a scan.
    Download Microsoft security essentials, run a scan.

There are plenty of free alternatives that should fix your problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Moved to the Virus & Malware Removal forum/.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 obrien.cathal

Hi,

It is probable that the popups you are seeing are manifestations of the malware that has infected your computer. You can disable it in the task manager but it normally linked to a number of registry entries to restart when you open programs etc. I would echo what Alan has written, however, if it is the form of malware I think it to be, it can also block Malwarebytes and MSE from running.

You might need to reboot in safe mode in order to get the programs to run. I also have some info on virus detection and removal in a few articles at the end of one of my pages (here). I would normally use manual removal but it that isn't your style, the above virus scanners are pretty useful but may not catch everything.

Hope this helps.

Cathal

Advertisement