Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need to quick-edit an M4V file

• 20-05-2011 3:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,838 ✭✭✭✭

Hi there,
    Just wondering can anyone advise a free, lightweight program I could use to do a very quick edit on 2 M4V files. I want to join them together and basically just blur out a reg plate from a few frames and that's pretty much it. I've never used video editing before so haven't a clue. I've virtualdub, but even that I haven't really used, it can't open an m4v file though.

If anyone has any suggestions please share :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 292 ✭✭briano.de.rhino

Download 'any video converter' or other video converter from www.download.cnet
    change the file to .avi. or .wmv~(whatever format your softwware can accept)and work away.
    I dont know virtualdub so u may not be able to blur out a plate.this requires keyframing(motion tracking)
    u can do it in adobe premiere and after effects but they cost.(unless you download illegally.)

adobe premiere elements is prolly only 50 euro and you could do it (just google premiere tutorial and blur out reg plate.....you should find a tutorial.)and have great fun in the future too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,838 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Thanks for the reply and suggestions :) I haven't a clue if virtual dub will even do what I need it to do and don't fancy paying for something I've had no use for for the past 5 years and probably won't over the next 5 years either, would rather pay somebody just to do it for me in that case as I have no experience with video editing or any programs whatsoever!

Also need to add a watermark to the video, forgot to mention that earlier! If anyone can do these tasks:

Add watermark, blur reg plate in a few frames and join two videos together (first is 3:27, second is about 20 seconds) with a quick fade in/out and maybe cut out the first 20 second of audio let me know ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 292 ✭✭briano.de.rhino

I get you-you would need to know what youre doing or youd spend hours half doing it and end up gettting someone else to do it anyways.
    I will pm you now. Doesnt sound like it will take too long.

B

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Blender can edit video. It is free and basic.

http://www.blender.org/

Here is a tutorial to give you an overview of what I've stated above.

http://www.straightedgelinux.com/videoBlender/

Thanks for the link, checked out the website and blender seems quite feature packed. Making animations etc, I'm not sure if it would be a bit overkill, in the sense it may take hours trying to figure out, to watermark, cut audio in certain parts, blur a reg plate and blend two videos.

I've been offered the service from Briano for a fee so I might take him up on the offer just to save me the hassle and installing something I'll probably never need again :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭spinzes

virtual dub can do that , it can cut/join the files (once there converted to avi) and it can watermark it for you as well , as for bluring out for certain frames , just water mark the area you want to blur out (the quick way) or cut the video into the bits you want to water mark and blur , watermark the bits you want to , watermark with a blur or something like that the bits you want to blur then join them all up again into one file
    http://www.videohelp.com/oldguides/virtualdubedit <---how to cut/join with vdub
    http://forum.videohelp.com/viewtopic.php?t=248307 <---how to watermark with vdub

Thanks spinzes, I've already given the go ahead to briano to do the editing but thanks for the suggestions anyway. I'm not sure if your suggestions can still handle m4v files though?

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭spinzes

no virtual dub only works with avi , you would need to convert it , l'd recomend @super video converter its free http://www.erightsoft.biz/GetFile1.php?SUPERsetup.exe this link don't seem to work just google it

Thanks again Spinez, that's good information to have for future, I think for this time though I'll let Briano give it a go and perhaps I'll have a go myself with a something a bit more basic some time in the future, although I guess this is as basic as it gets in terms of video editing :D

Advertisement