Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Charge Lazy Susan - Any good?

• 20-05-2011 3:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 350 ✭✭

The GF is thinking of buying a commuter for short commutes (3-7km each way). Already has a road bike with drops for longer cycles, so whats a more leisurely style.

This: http://www.evanscycles.com/products/charge/lazy-susan-2010-womens-hybrid-ec020529#BVRRWidgetID
    looks like good value. Most other non BSOs are €400+ but neither of us know anything about Charge, are they any good?
    Has anyone any experience\knowledge to share on this bike?
    Or any advice on another commuter for a 5'1" girl?

Second hand also considered (actually preferred) but not much comes up in a suitable size. Bike will be keep outside 24/7.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Piercemeear

Sorry I can't comment on the Charge, but have you checked out Dublin Bike Man? He would generally have quite a few city bikes in ladies' sizes. Just glancing there I see lots of uprights in similar styles to the Charge. Can't speak for quality or price, of course.

That Charge is a decent price though, by all appearances. Sturmey Archer 3 speed hub. Looks okay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

Charge do good bikes, if a little heavy (though that won't matter unless the GF is having to haul it up stairs or anything).

The only thing that would put me off would be the drum brakes, as they don't have a huge amount of stopping power (Dublin Bikes have drum brakes, so it's that sort of performance), but at that price it's a bit of a bargain!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 350 ✭✭HappyHarry

Thanks for the reply, I had seen that site before. Was hoping for something a bit newer. It will be kept outside so rust is an issue and the brakes on those old bike tend to be pretty poor even with good blocks properly adjusted (a combination of the rim material and poor calipers I think, maybe doesn't apply to all of them).
    Sorry I can't comment on the Charge, but have you checked out Dublin Bike Man? He would generally have quite a few city bikes in ladies' sizes. Just glancing there I see lots of uprights in similar styles to the Charge. Can't speak for quality or price, of course.

That Charge is a decent price though, by all appearances. Sturmey Archer 3 speed hub. Looks okay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Charge seem to get great reviews in the mags and websites anyway.

Thanks TinyExplosions,

I didn't know the Drum brakes didn't perform well, never noticed a problem on DubBikes. I assumed they would be as good if not better than on old bike with old rims, calipers & levers. May not be an issue at the speeds involved ;)

Charge do good bikes, if a little heavy (though that won't matter unless the GF is having to haul it up stairs or anything).

The only thing that would put me off would be the drum brakes, as they don't have a huge amount of stopping power (Dublin Bikes have drum brakes, so it's that sort of performance), but at that price it's a bit of a bargain!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,166 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I reckon drum brakes are fine for a round-town bike. Those Dublin bikes slow down faster in the wet than my rim-braked road bike.

Thanks.

Just noticed that the 2011 version is more than double the price!
    I don't see any obvious difference apart from a rear reflector on the 2011 model.

The tyres look a bit fat, they are 26 x 1.95 gum wall, are they going to be an energy sapper or puncture magnet?

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/charge/lazy-susan-2011-womens-hybrid-bike-ec025576?query=charge%20lazy%20susan
    Lumen wrote: »
    I reckon drum brakes are fine for a round-town bike. Those Dublin bikes slow down faster in the wet than my rim-braked road bike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,166 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

HappyHarry wrote: »
    Second hand also considered (actually preferred) but not much comes up in a suitable size. Bike will be keep outside 24/7.

Oh I just saw this bit. I have a Pashley Princess Sovereign (in dark green) that I've been too lazy to sell. Wife got it as a BTW but didn't enjoy the experience. She's also 5 foot 1.

It's very heavy, but then so is that Charge. You wouldn't want to be lifting either.

PM me if you're interested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,838 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

HappyHarry, your user name isn't from a B-side by The Fall, is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Piercemeear

It will be kept outside so rust is an issue...

If you are keeping the bike outside full-time I'd recommend getting a tarp to cover it. I bought a bike-shaped cover for a bike 2 years ago. It seemed stupid-expensive for a piece of plastic at the time, but it really does keep the worst of outdoors damage off it. Thirty seconds to shuck on or off, with velcro around the bottom to form a tighter wrap.

• Advertisement

tomasrojo wrote: »
    HappyHarry, your user name isn't from a B-side by The Fall, is it?

It's not, never heard of The Fall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,838 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

It's not, never heard of The Fall.

Well I've never had a car
    Never been near a lorry
    Got a nasty habit of scratching my nose
    My codename's Happy Harry
    I'm Into CB

Charmingly dated references.

Advertisement