Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Royal Canal

Options
  • 20-05-2011 3:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭

Anyone here have much experience travelling along the Royal Canal from say Drumcondra/Phibsboro out towards Cabra/Blanchardstown/Clonee direction?

I was thinking of incorporating sections of it into some of my training for a change of scenery - Just a little worried about safety. How isolated is it in parts? I know these areas well as I'm a local; but I've never spent much time along the banks of the Royal Canal - so just wondering how many gangs of skangers hang around drinking along the more isolated parts!

Try to avoid hassle where possible!

Any info appreciated.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

I'd say around broombridge is where you would get the most trouble if any. Some of the kids round there like to drop blocks onto trains and set fire to the platform and the station is right next to the canal.

Other than that it should be fine especially if it's a Saturday/sunday luchtime run. You could get the train out on the Maynooth line to any of the stops and run back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭az2wp0sye65487

Not a bad idea that! Must have a think about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Generally the further you get out from town the better it gets. I've never had any hassle on any bits I've run.

You will have to cross a few roads but there's some nice stretches too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭RoyMcC

North Strand to Ashtown (and back via the Park) was a regular Sunday morning run for me in my Dublin days. Albeit this was usually Sunday mornings when you're unlikely to find much trouble anywhere. Used to love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,514 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Any info appreciated.
    Wear sun-glasses and keep your mouth closed. Lots of protein flying around the canals.

• Advertisement

Wear sun-glasses and keep your mouth closed. Lots of protein flying around the canals.

Huh???.... Am I missing something?

Bees? Maybe they only attack clowns :D

Trotting by Mountjoy Gaol I could never resist singing The Old Triangle - though I fear not as well as Luke Kelly.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,514 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Insects.... Little flying insects...
    Get stuck in your eyeballs, and fly down your throat. Always hovering around the canal. Grrr....

Feckers should be kept under control - you never see dogs hovering, flying down your throat...

Check out the Broom Bridge and its plaque - where William Hamilton, on his Sunday morning run, discovered the formula for quaternions :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭dtf

I've run along the royal canal around the Dublin 15 area (Blanchardstown/ Castleknock, Clonsilla) its pretty isolated for most of it, but I've never had any hassle. It can be tough going as the surface is not that great and parts of it is quite high above the canal. Lots of low hanging branches that need to be avoided too.

+1 on keeping yer mouth shut while running

• Advertisement

RoyMcC wrote: »
    Trotting by Mountjoy Gaol I could never resist singing The Old Triangle - though I fear not as well as Luke Kelly.

Same here, and it happens every time I pass by.

dtf wrote: »
    I've run along the royal canal around the Dublin 15 area (Blanchardstown/ Castleknock, Clonsilla) its pretty isolated for most of it, but I've never had any hassle. It can be tough going as the surface is not that great and parts of it is quite high above the canal. Lots of low hanging branches that need to be avoided too.

+1 on keeping yer mouth shut while running

Cheers for the advice. I wear vibrams which means I'm a little more cautious about where I step. Is there rough terrain?

Just back from a run now, and went along the canal for part of it. Started at Drumcondra and came off at Campbells garage between Finglas & Cabra... It was a nice run, apart from the rain. Didn't have any hassle apart from 1 group of about 5/6 scummers drinkin - at the back of the Brian Boru pub in Phibsboro. They shouted something at me but I just kept going and that was the end of it. Looking forward to another run along other parts of it in future!

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭dtf

Cheers for the advice. I wear vibrams which means I'm a little more cautious about where I step. Is there rough terrain?

Beyond Castleknock the pathway can get a little narrow at times. Definitely in wet conditions you would need to be careful.

I was never able to get beyond Ashtown along the canal - used to go up River Rd instead. I presume the canal is runnable beyond Ashtown now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Going west ? It had been a couple of years now, it's in petty good shape too.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 AshtownGuy

Yes I have often walked/cycled between Croke Park and Castleknock. The scariest area to me was between Phibsborough and Broombridge, only because it was so isolated and anyone could have been hiding in the hedges ready to pounce but thankfully nothing happened. I did meet a few drunks under the railway bridge near Broombridge but they were older and friendly. From there onwards through Ashtown is fine, and you can go easily onwards along the path to Castleknock, though it gets mucky here in parts after rain. Beyond Castleknock station it is harder as you have only a dirt track through wilderness to follow. I'd love if it was walkable/cyclable all the way, maybe Leo will get this sorted?

Went from Phibsboro to Ashtown yesterday evening, passed a couple of groups of drunks - but they too were grand, just shouted a quick "howaya" as I was passing. No bother.

There was plenty of other runners about, especially up towards Ashtown.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭ronan45

Last time i tried to cycle from Ashtown to Blanchardstown i found the ground was like a dirt track. I couldnt actually cycle. It beats me why they dont put in some sort of cheap path to make it easier for cyclists and runners :mad: Ashtown was great lovely path just after this nightmare:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Darac

Went from Phibsboro to Ashtown yesterday evening, passed a couple of groups of drunks - but they too were grand, just shouted a quick "howaya" as I was passing. No bother.

There was plenty of other runners about, especially up towards Ashtown.

I passed drunks in the same area one Sunday morning recently. One of them pulled down his trousers as I went by. Did not bother me too much as I'm a guy but any single women passing by would not have been too comfortable with it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭edireland

Anyone here have much experience travelling along the Royal Canal from say Drumcondra/Phibsboro out towards Cabra/Blanchardstown/Clonee direction?

I was thinking of incorporating sections of it into some of my training for a change of scenery - Just a little worried about safety. How isolated is it in parts? I know these areas well as I'm a local; but I've never spent much time along the banks of the Royal Canal - so just wondering how many gangs of skangers hang around drinking along the more isolated parts!

Try to avoid hassle where possible!

Any info appreciated.

Thanks.

I walk along that all the time. No problems during the day.

Advertisement