Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dead cat.

• 20-05-2011 3:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭

There's a dead cat outside my house on the grass :(

I'm trying to figure out who owns it, but no luck. There's no collar on it. My guess is it was hit by a car. What do I do? Who will take it away?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

get a shovel and put it in the bin if you dont want to leave it there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

You can either bring it to a vet practice and they will dispose of it for you (it'll cost you but not too much). If you do this they can also scan it for a micro chip to see if it has an owner. Double bag it (in black bin bags) to prevent any leaks on the way.

Or, if you want to dispose of it yourself, tripple bag it and put it in with the normal rubbish. You could also bury it (at least 3/4 foot down). Would be a good idea to spread some disinfectant and boiling water over the area it is lying, once you have moved it, to get rid of anything nasty.

If you leave it there much longer it'll start to stink and attract vermin/flies etc. so it would be best to get rid of it asap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

There's a fair amount of blood on the road too :(

I guess a few buckets will do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Please consider taking it to the vet and having it scanned for a chip in case it has an owner. You shouldn't have to pay a consult fee for that, just walk in. Take a picture (for size and colour of coat, not for gore) or write a description before bagging so if someone puts up missing posters you can give them some closure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Please consider taking it to the vet and having it scanned for a chip in case it has an owner. You shouldn't have to pay a consult fee for that, just walk in. Take a picture (for size and colour of coat, not for gore) or write a description before bagging so if someone puts up missing posters you can give them some closure.

I bravely put on some gloves, and put it into a a few black bags and brought it to the vet. No chip, no collar on it, but I reckon it had one at some stage by the flat fur around the neck.

I took it to the vet and he took it, no chip and no charge. My neighbour is convinced she knows the cat, her owner won't accept it though because of the no collar.

I went round my neighbourhood asking anyone else if they've a black and white cat..No luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Fair play to you for what you did. At least if that woman's cat doesn't come home after a few days she will at least have a good idea of what happened to it. There's nothing worse than the wondering.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭FastFuse

Hi IvySlayer. Sorry to hear about this. Would you mind my asking where in Lucan you are? I am in the are myself and I know a few cat heads so may be able to help with tracing the poor fella's owners.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

The Sweeper said everything i wouldve said. As awful as it is picking up a dead cat off the road...remember it could be someones pet. Vets WONT charge you for scanning for a microchip or disposal of a stray/dead animal!

PM me if that EVER that happens!!!

You did good OP! I would be so thankful that if my cat (collared and chipped) was brought to a vet if in a RTA and his collar got lost and my only hope of finding him was through his microchip, that someone like you brought him to a vet to get scanned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭SophieSakura

That's sad but well done for trying to find an owner.

Vets shouldn't charge for that, or for treating (or putting to sleep) injured stray animals.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Lizard_Moon

Vets shouldn't charge for that, or for treating (or putting to sleep) injured stray animals.[/QUOTE]

How is the Vet to know that the animal is a stray and not just someone deciding not to take responsibility for their pet's medical expenses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

wrote:
    How is the Vet to know that the animal is a stray and not just someone deciding not to take responsibility for their pet's medical expenses.
    They dont unfortunately and they do get stung by unscrupulous people who claim its a stray but its not, but its the minority not the majority thank god. It doesnt cost much (only time) for a vet or vet nurse to scan for a chip.

Vets will have a regular body disposal collection system set up for those pets whos owners dont bury or get them cremated. Adding an unidentified animal to this isnt a big deal for them...as long as its not a huge amount all the time. Its better to at least try and find an owner by scanning for a chip than leaving it on the side of the road and the owner never finding out. Ive my 2 cats chipped and hope someone would go that extra mile if god forbid that ever happened them.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭SophieSakura

Good point! I dunno, a vet told me that they are meant to treat stray or wild animals for free, not by law, but because they have an oath to prevent animals suffering, or something . . .

I don't know if all vets would do it, but mine does.

Advertisement