Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which Blackberry?

Options
  • 20-05-2011 3:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭

I need to get a Blackberry

I will be buying sim free (preferable as I travel a lot) or payg locked, maybe even on Adverts, but not sure which one to go for.

Will be mainly using it for e-mail, FB & BBM

The Curve 8520 looks like it is fine, but the lack of 3g puts me off. Is it a decent phone?

I had a Bold 9000, which would be perfect for me again, but can't seem to find one on Adverts for a decent price.

Any other suggestions for which one to go for, budget is probably around €150 max

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

9300 is the next best for affordability. The 8520 is a bit old and isn't 3G where as the 9300 is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Smartphone Republic

I need to get a Blackberry

I will be buying sim free (preferable as I travel a lot) or payg locked, maybe even on Adverts, but not sure which one to go for.

Will be mainly using it for e-mail, FB & BBM

The Curve 8520 looks like it is fine, but the lack of 3g puts me off. Is it a decent phone?

I had a Bold 9000, which would be perfect for me again, but can't seem to find one on Adverts for a decent price.

Any other suggestions for which one to go for, budget is probably around €150 max

Yea the 9300 is definately the cheapest of the better Blackberrys but if you wanted to splash the cash a bit have a look at the 9800 Torch! Savage altogether! Check out our review @ http://smartphonerepublic.com/category/everything/blackberry/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Thanks for the replies guys, anyone used a Curve 8900? Where would it rank when compared to 8520 or Bold 9000?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

My 2 cents worth:I have the 8520 about 18mnths now. The best fone I have had. I love it. It is the base model for Black berry but FB,Twitter, email etc are fine on it.I got it for a gift and was an o2 customer at the time and it was a VF fone. Took a while to find somewhere online to find an unlock code. I am now on the Vodafone Pay As You Go option.€20 gets me unlimited texts (I am not big one for calls) email BBM FB Twitter Ping and whatever else you can find in the BB app world.The push facility for email FB ping is superb. I have given it tons of abuse and only needed to replace the trackpad (very easy). Once you get used to the keypad and find out all the functions etc it is great.Software wise I never had a single issue. When the phone runs slow or acts up just pull out the battery and reinsert. Simple as that.

The 8900 would be slightly better then the 8520 but it I older and still and Edge device (no 3G). The 9000 would be better then both the 8520 and the 8900 even though it's a little old now. A lovely device to be honest. In fact so lovely that with the release of the new 9900 later this year RIM are going back to the design style of the 9900 as most blackberry users fell it's the best designed device to date especially it's keyboard. It's a little low on memory (9000 has 128m bs of internal memory not incluing memory card) but still a good device.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Thanks, had a 9000 but no BIS so never used it, and now can't find it! Doesn't seem to be available anymore so it is down to the Curve 9300, or Bold 9700 if I find a cheap one on Adverts

• Registered Users Posts: 2,238 ✭✭✭Gelio

Dont want to start a new thread. So I'm looking for a blackberry off adverts etc. 100 euro or not too much more. I'd like e mail and fb. 8520 was what I was looking at but it has a good few bad reviews. 9300 looks to be the best for my price range, is there any that I have missed that I should consider?

ajeffares wrote: »
    Dont want to start a new thread. So I'm looking for a blackberry off adverts etc. 100 euro or not too much more. I'd like e mail and fb. 8520 was what I was looking at but it has a good few bad reviews. 9300 looks to be the best for my price range, is there any that I have missed that I should consider?

The 9300 is a great device but the 9700 should be in that price range now second hand. And it's an excellent device. Using it to type this now.

cookie1977 wrote: »
    The 9300 is a great device but the 9700 should be in that price range now second hand. And it's an excellent device. Using it to type this now.
    9700 looks good but I can't find any non faulty under 150 euro . . bit much

9700 looks good but I can't find any non faulty under 150 euro . . bit much

That's a little dear depending on quality/newness. 9300 is still a great device though.

• Advertisement

Is the 8520 really as bad as the reviews say? What sort of battery life do these get with medium use?

Is the 8520 really as bad as the reviews say? What sort of battery life do these get with medium use?

The 8520 is a solid device but it is getting a little old and it doesn't have 3G. It's a little short on app memory too. Imagine it as "my first blackberry", quite basic. The 9300 would blow it out of the water.

cookie1977 wrote: »
    The 8520 is a solid device but it is getting a little old and it doesn't have 3G. It's a little short on app memory too. Imagine it as "my first blackberry", quite basic. The 9300 would blow it out of the water.

I'm not too interested in apps tbh, is there any difference in useability i.e. keypad, size etc

I'm not too interested in apps tbh, is there any difference in useability i.e. keypad, size etc

Slight differences but nothing major.

Advertisement