Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda violating free speech right?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,921 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Happyman42 wrote: »
    The crowds waving their poled flags for Barack a few days later, confirmed my suspicions....'there was to be no overt displays of 'Irish' nationalism to be seen by Mrs Windsor.' What accommodating subjects we are.
    President%2BBarack%2BObama%2Baddress%2Ba%2Brally%2Bat%2BCollege%2BGreen%2Bin%2BDublin%2Btoday%2B10.jpg

Maybe it was because there would have been more of the lunatic element there to protest against her. Is that not how it transpired anyway ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Actually Gardai tore down posters that had been legally erected with Dublin City Council permits. They also stole them from the people putting them up. Flags and banners (not with poles) were taken off people. They were trying to stop protests from taking place

But DCC had already banned posters from May 9th to 25th?

As an aside, I thought you could only put up political posters during an election?

@Happyman42 as somebody who was in the queue for Obama for 3 and a half hours I can tell you that there were damn all flags in the crowd of any type. There were a few guys selling them around the place but most were ditched at the entrance,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Maybe it was because there would have been more of the lunatic element there to protest against her. Is that not how it transpired anyway ?

The woman wasn't ever going to be interacting with the 'crowds??' in Dublin. The flagpole excuse is a load of nonsense.
    Dublin was cleaned.
    BrianD wrote: »

@Happyman42 as somebody who was in the queue for Obama for 3 and a half hours I can tell you that there were damn all flags in the crowd of any type. There were a few guys selling them around the place but most were ditched at the entrance,
    Have a look at the pics from Moneygall....quite easy to see people standing with flags on poles in the line he walked along

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

The woman wasn't ever going to be interacting with the 'crowds??' in Dublin. The flagpole excuse is a load of nonsense.
    Dublin was cleaned.

It's not really as flag poles weren't going to be allowed anyway. Pretty standard H&S proceedure.
    Have a look at the pics from Moneygall....quite easy to see people standing with flags on poles in the line he walked along

I have and there's few flags in those ones either and the ones that are those little small hand ones. Anyway Moneygall wasn't a "public" event. You had to be ticketed in advance as I far as I recall.

Also Moneygall is not Dublin which was the picture you featured. Flag poles were also on the banned list there plus the catch all "Any other items deemed inappropriate by security"

In any case, peoples right to free speech and protest were never infringed. You don't have unfettered rights

Did you honestly believe that you would be able to protest at these kind of events? I'm all for free speech and association but you exercise it with a bit of cop on.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,283 ✭✭✭source

In any case, peoples right to free speech and protest were never infringed. You don't have unfettered rights

Did you honestly believe that you would be able to protest at these kind of events? I'm all for free speech and association but you exercise it with a bit of cop on.

Agree with this, I'll say again something which I said earlier in this thread.

While you have a right to free speech, you must exercise that free speech within the laws set down in accordance with the same constitution as your rights are enshrined in. You also must not infringe on other citizens rights.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29 HomeBrewPlease

Seanbeag1 wrote: »
    They all have poles.

And the Gardai are that thick and clueless that they would not be able to seperate them????

BrianD
    But DCC had already banned posters from May 9th to 25th?

They tried to but were forced to withdraw that following legal advice
    As an aside, I thought you could only put up political posters during an election?

You can only put up posters calling for a vote for someone during elections. Dublin City Council issue permits to poster for certain periods. éirígí had permits to poster yet Gardai tore them down off poles and stole them off individuals despite those permits and despite the council informing Gardai that they had permits.

A council official actually came down out of her office in the south west inner city to explain this to Gardai who were taking posters off activists outside the building but Gardai just ignored her.

This was all about trying to stop images of opposition to the visit and to try to prevent protest as much as possible

foinse wrote: »
    Agree with this, I'll say again something which I said earlier in this thread.

While you have a right to free speech, you must exercise that free speech within the laws set down in accordance with the same constitution as your rights are enshrined in. You also must not infringe on other citizens rights.

The Gardai themselves infringed on those laws by their illegal actions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

And the Gardai are that thick and clueless that they would not be able to seperate them????

Why should they?
    BrianD

They tried to but were forced to withdraw that following legal advice

You can only put up posters calling for a vote for someone during elections. Dublin City Council issue permits to poster for certain periods. éirígí had permits to poster yet Gardai tore them down off poles and stole them off individuals despite those permits and despite the council informing Gardai that they had permits.

A council official actually came down out of her office in the south west inner city to explain this to Gardai who were taking posters off activists outside the building but Gardai just ignored her.

This was all about trying to stop images of opposition to the visit and to try to prevent protest as much as possible

Saved a lot of embarassment though. I would have been offended by any posters put up on behalf of the "political movement" known as Éirigí and I think most others would be too. They may also have resulted in a breach of the peace and have been contrary to Section 7 of the public order act.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Wot? :eek:
    Jesus, most of the country has bent over. :rolleyes:
    Free speech and association as long as it's what 'we' want you to say, you mean.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

Wot? :eek:
    Jesus, most of the country has bent over. :rolleyes:
    Free speech and association as long as it's what 'we' want you to say, you mean.

Groups like Éirigí and republican SF are the biggest opponents to free speech in this country.

Seanbeag1 wrote: »
    Why should they?

Saved a lot of embarassment though. I would have been offended by any posters put up on behalf of the "political movement" known as Éirigí and I think most others would be too. They may also have resulted in a breach of the peace and have been contrary to Section 7 of the public order act.

So any political or protest activity that you might be 'offended' by should be prevented? Well at least you are beiing honest in your anti-democratic views

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

This thread has most certainly run its course. The answer has been stated many times by rational posters, but unfortunately some people will always refuse to accept the truth in front of them.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement