Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

It's a long way from Cork to Cobh

Options
  • 20-05-2011 4:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭

Sunday October 2nd - 15 miles Cork - Cobh

I'm still fairly new, so my aim would be to just to take part and finish this. I can't even visualize it at the moment!:)

Brief background: I"ve been running on/off for about a year, only became a regular runner in the last 2 months. I'm by no means fast, a little overweight but I just love the sport.
    Events so far:
    Clonakilty 10k 2010 - 1:06:13
    Bandon 10k 2011 - 1:02:29
    Fota/Cheetah 4m - 38.29

Next events:
    John Buckey 5k
    CCM Relay 6.6 miles
    Would like to try a half at some stage but not sure which to do....

Training:
    This week
    Mon - 4 mile
    Tues - 5 mile
    Thurs - 4 mile
    Sat or Sun - 7mile (first time!)

I plan on adding a mile to my long run every week, tapering back after 3 weeks before pushing up again.

I really need to start looking at tempo etc and would love to go to the track but I think I should wait until I can run 8/9 miles comfortably. Last time I tried the track, I could only run 3 miles and lets just say the track was the scariest place i ever went. I WILL conquer it some day though.:)

Comments, advice very welcome. :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭poconnor16

Cheetah run (Eagle AC)4m

I think I got a bit over-excited at this one and went out a bit too fast. At mile 1 I came in at just under a 10min/mile but I couldn't hold that pace throughout. Yet as soon as the finish line came into sight, a magic dose of energy hit my legs and I sprinted the finish! Weird.....I'd prefer to be able to hold a faster pace evenly throughout.:rolleyes:

7 miles done today, tough going in the wind and rain. Didnt time it as the aim was endurance. I enjoyed it though. Thats 20 miles this week, a first for me!!

Rest tomorrow, 4 miles monday night. As soon as its payday im splurging on a watch :-)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Don't worry about the extra energy coming from nowhere at the end of the race. Happens all the time, even to experienced runners.

If you're thinking about a half marathon maybe consider the Clonakilty half next December. You've already done the 10k there so you need to make the step up :pac: and it gives you a good 7 months to train if you start thinking about it now.

Best of luck with the log.

Oh I will definitley be doing the Clon Half this year, that event was so well organised last year. I'm hoping to do a half before then though, and before the Cork to Cobh. Blarney is an option but I hear that is quite tough. Dingle is another but again, thats a toughie......

What about the Dublin half then? Second half of the course is quite hilly but it's not bad for your first half marathon.

There's also the national half marathon, last years results are HERE there's people in there well over two hours so it's not confined to top club runners. It's in Waterford this year aswell so it's not too far for you to travel. There's the half in Longford at the end of August too. Lots to choose from, Longford is a flat but boring course and defo not as hilly as Dingle. :pac:

• Advertisement

Ooh I think I might go for the National Half! I have family in Tramore so suits me perfect, plus it gives me a month then to prepare for Cork to Cobh. Thanks RacoonQueen!!! :)

This weeks schedule:

Monday - 5 miles
    Tues - 4 miles (at lunch)
    Wed - tennis
    Thursday - playing golf so might do 4 at lunch
    Friday - Rest
    Saturday - 8 miles
    Sunday - rest and stretching

I'm not a huge fan of lunchtime running, think it is a mental thing. But with golf this week I need to make the time.

Other aims this week - eat clean! I dont do low carb or anything, I just try to eat natural foods, lots of fruit and veggies. Surely this weight has to melt away:rolleyes:

Well Mondays plan did not stick. :( None of the group for the 5 mile were there, so decided to do the 3.6. One of the participants got into a bit of trouble (stitch, couldn't breathe) half way around and I just couldn't leave them. So slowed down for a while and made sure they were ok.

Only consolation is that I pretty much tempo ran the remainder of the distance, so I think at least a mile and a half and a good speed, for me anyway.:D

Going to head out at lunch today for 4, major case of the guilts for not doing 5 last night!!!:rolleyes:

Lunchtime 4 miler

Sometimes I fee like I am getting nowhere fast!! Did a very slow 4 miles at lunch (10min/mile) and it felt like torture! The whole way around my mind was so negative.. 'uh it's too warm, maybe I didn't drink enough water, maybe I didn't have enough of a break between training sessions'. I feel like such a moaner. SHUT UP head!!:mad:

Im going to rest tmr and just play tennis, instead of golf thurs, will play tag rugby so a small bit of sprinting. I will go for the 8 then sat. Im so tired this week...yawn......nite! :-/

• Advertisement

poconnor16 wrote: »
    Lunchtime 4 miler

Sometimes I fee like I am getting nowhere fast!! Did a very slow 4 miles at lunch (10min/mile) and it felt like torture! The whole way around my mind was so negative.. 'uh it's too warm, maybe I didn't drink enough water, maybe I didn't have enough of a break between training sessions'. I feel like such a moaner. SHUT UP head!!:mad:

Wouldn't worry too much about that. We all have negative thoughts and demons putting ourselves down while we're training. You seem to already have had those thoughts in your head by saying your'e not a fan of lunchtime running, you were already thinking negatively about it on Monday.

Keep at it. Maybe avoid lunchtime running as much as possible.

Yeah, era it was a hot day...not going to worry too much. Important thing is that it done.
    I'd say no tennis tonight with this weather (outdoor court), so I might go for a short run, stretch the legs. Tag tomorrow night for something different.

Played TAG last night, though it might contribute to a rest day/slight bit of running. Think I under-estimated it, was barely out of breath.

Plan for the weekend - defo an 8 mile run (my first!! so scared and excited). If I do that on saturday, I might go a nice long walk on sunday.

I've lost a bit of mojo this week for my running as I"ve been really knackered. Think it could be a little sign of too much too soon and I dont want to over train. So if I do the 8 this weekend, thats enough. Then back to it next week....

8 miles done!!!

Wohoo! Feels like a little land mark for me so very happy. I set out really slow (took 1hr 35 mins), sipped a little sports drink every 15/20 mins. I actually found the run much easier than I thought which was great as I enjoyed it. I did it on a very flat route too which is good I guess.

The minute I finished though I was really sore and tired. So jumped into a bath with some radox and that helped. I'm just a little stiff on the hips this morning.

Right, so in keeping with all that enthusiasm, here is this weeks plan:

Monday - 5 miles
    Tuesday - 5k race, John Buckley Sports
    Wed - tennis (doubles, very chilled)
    Thursday - rest/stretch
    Friday - 4 miles
    Sat and Sun - rest, rest and more rest.....

Monday - Cork City Marathon relay!!! 6.6 mile leg :)

Yep....that dreaded word. I have a back injury. :(

After my long run a week ago I felt something in my lower back wasnt right. I couldn't move by Tuesday. Doctor reckons I damaged a disc but I'm not convinced as they didn't do an MRI.

No guessing, so off to physio tonight for further instructions. Training is on hold which is absolutley depressing. I am so worried that I will have regressed so far now in terms of endurance etc.

I still have time for the half in Sept - which is at least some consolation after missing the relay in the CCM yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭eliwallach

Oh I will definitley be doing the Clon Half this year, that event was so well organised last year. I'm hoping to do a half before then though, and before the Cork to Cobh. Blarney is an option but I hear that is quite tough. Dingle is another but again, thats a toughie......

If tou are intent on avoiding tough/hilly Half Marathons, the Clonakilty Half is one of the toughest around.
    The National HM in Tramore in Sept will run along the course of the Waterford AC HM which only has one short hill to speak of at mile 6. It's one of the flattest in the south of Ireland.
    Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Hope you get sorted with the physio this evening, it could be something that just needs a bit of work on, and won't have you off the road for long.

Re. half marathon - there's also one in Kilkenny (18th/19th Sept). A smaller half (300 or so last year), but a nice country route, that's flat enough aswell, though not quite as flat as Waterford-Tramore.

eliwallach wrote: »
    If tou are intent on avoiding tough/hilly Half Marathons, the Clonakilty Half is one of the toughest around.
    The National HM in Tramore in Sept will run along the course of the Waterford AC HM which only has one short hill to speak of at mile 6. It's one of the flattest in the south of Ireland.
    Good luck.

Thanks for that info - yeah friends have told me aaaall about Clon :) I hope by then to have enough miles under my belt to give it a go.

I think the Waterford HM will be the biz alright - here's hoping I recover

Pelvis tilted out of place, lower back locked up, and a leg had shortened because of all this. Basically, my back was all over the place.
    I'm out of action until July. No exercise whatsoever this week. Maybe some cycling the week after.

At least this can be fixed - roll on July.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭slowsteady

Join the sick list!!

Sorry to hear your laid up, getting a routine going and building a base is key so being signed off for 2+ weeks is not good.If you can get out on the bike that will help keep the momentum.

Sitting here this morning watching the weather, while the Waterford Half is a flat one the wind could be a big factor if it blowing like today. Only thing is if it in your face going out it will be at your back coming home.

Good luck with the recovery.

• Advertisement

Yeah, I'm hoping that Tramore wind will blow me back in the way. Was down there on Monday and it was freeeeeezing!

I know, consistency is key and that what I am worried about. I plan on using the bike and maybe getting into a spinning class as well. Its the lack of long slow runs will kill me though for a half. Its my first half so at least I wont be trying for a PB as such. :)

keeping the nutrition in order now as well in the meantime. Eating as clean as possible to try and keep myself in some kind of shape.

Back to physio, hip was back out of place, and I really did rest. So another week of nothing, back have some stretches to do. Back for another visit friday, if the hip holds, I can cycle - yipee :)

Will need to look at things agaian with regard to next events, once I am healed. At this stage, I'll be back to some 2 mile jogs. Oh well, better than nothing.

Went for my first bike ride last night - heaven to be moving again. :)

Did about 6 miles, at a fairly lively pace, mainly flat though - doctors orders. Felt great and full of beans. No pain afterwards either.

Have a second ride on Thurs nite, then back to physio on the friday to see if the hip is where it should be. Please stay hip, please stay!!

I dont think the cork to Cobh will happen now, so might have to change the title of this thread to something else......:rolleyes:

Still using the bike only. Tried a walk one night and actually felt the hip moving out of place. But its good that I can now recognise when something is wrong.

Cycling has no negative affect so far.....physio today, hoping I can try a jog soon!!

:D:D:D:D

I've been given the go ahead to return to running, wohoooooo!!!!! I'm so excited. Eventhough I can forget about the Cork/Cobh til next year.

Now I just have to figure out HOW to return to running. I cant figure out if I should take the Couch to 5k program or just take the start of Hal Higdon 10 mile prgram (2 mile runs, 3 times a week).

I've been out almost 6/7 weeks so my base is pretty much gone.:confused:

Welcome back. Key is not to push yourself too much now that you're back on your feet. Do you think you could run two miles at this stage if you were to go with the HH plan? How many miles per week were you doing before you got injured?

Welcome back. Key is not to push yourself too much now that you're back on your feet. Do you think you could run two miles at this stage if you were to go with the HH plan? How many miles per week were you doing before you got injured?

I was logging a max of 20 miles a week...4 runs plus some cross training. Longest run was 8 miles at easy pace.
    I've also gained half a stone which I need to drop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

I was logging a max of 20 miles a week...4 runs plus some cross training. Longest run was 8 miles at easy pace.
    I've also gained half a stone which I need to drop.

Best of luck with the comeback. I'm pretty much in the same boat so will be keeping an eye on how you are doing. Oh and I hear you on the weight loss :rolleyes:

Made my first attempt on saturday - walked 5 mins, jogged for 15, walked for 2, jogged for 10 and walked for 5.
    My legs felt like LEAD weights! :) I was so out of breath, and had no form. felt like I had never run before.

More imprtantly, I didn't feel any pain afterwards and the next day, just sore muscles.:rolleyes:

I went up the driving range sunday and hit a few balls - I think that might have done some damage though as I feel a little niggle. Was going to run tonight for 2 miles, but maybe I will just walk instead until I see my physio tomorrow for her opinion.

Wow, it is a long road to get back to where I was. :(

• Advertisement
Advertisement