Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your enabled for BB... oh wait LOL no your not!!!

Options
  • 20-05-2011 5:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭

I've been using mobile broadband for the last few years now,

But I really, REALLY want a hard line. I understand the distance problem from exchange to home and so on. But what I don't understand is the answers as to whether your line is suitable for broadband or not being all over the place in terms of what answer you get.

If I put my phone number in on the eircom site itself where it says it'll tailor the packages of broadband to suit my line, if I put it in, the site goes to crap and I end up seeing some Apache web server page giving out about some line in Javascript.

If I put my number and account number into the ngb.ie site... all it does is tell me I'm not enabled for ngb at the moment but I can get standard broadband for now. Even though it clearly shows the entirety of my area covered with ngb.

I decided to call eircom about the NGB site at least to see if standard broadband was an alternative. I got a very VERY helpful lady who on testing my line said ... "oh that's weird, nothing's happening with your line" no yay or nay basically. She said that she would forward an email up to some techies and that she'd get back to me. Unfortunately family shenanigans got in the way and I wasn't at home on the afternoon that she said she'd call back. So recently I decided to call back again. This time I was very briefly informed.. "meh not gonna work, line doesn't support it".. so I explained I'd been on previously and the guy just said "meh don't see anything about emails" and then he just went quiet until I said "yeahhh okkkkk >.> bye bye then".

What's frustrating here is that... different Eircom sites are giving me different information. Surely they all tie back to the same method for testing a line????
    so how can the results differ.

Also if I'm covered by "NGB" goodness on the map.. then surely I should have it... otherwise I'd like it to be updated before I go mental.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭eircom: Tony

brendanL wrote: »
    I've been using mobile broadband for the last few years now,

But I really, REALLY want a hard line. I understand the distance problem from exchange to home and so on. But what I don't understand is the answers as to whether your line is suitable for broadband or not being all over the place in terms of what answer you get.

If I put my phone number in on the eircom site itself where it says it'll tailor the packages of broadband to suit my line, if I put it in, the site goes to crap and I end up seeing some Apache web server page giving out about some line in Javascript.

If I put my number and account number into the ngb.ie site... all it does is tell me I'm not enabled for ngb at the moment but I can get standard broadband for now. Even though it clearly shows the entirety of my area covered with ngb.

I decided to call eircom about the NGB site at least to see if standard broadband was an alternative. I got a very VERY helpful lady who on testing my line said ... "oh that's weird, nothing's happening with your line" no yay or nay basically. She said that she would forward an email up to some techies and that she'd get back to me. Unfortunately family shenanigans got in the way and I wasn't at home on the afternoon that she said she'd call back. So recently I decided to call back again. This time I was very briefly informed.. "meh not gonna work, line doesn't support it".. so I explained I'd been on previously and the guy just said "meh don't see anything about emails" and then he just went quiet until I said "yeahhh okkkkk >.> bye bye then".

What's frustrating here is that... different Eircom sites are giving me different information. Surely they all tie back to the same method for testing a line????
    so how can the results differ.

Also if I'm covered by "NGB" goodness on the map.. then surely I should have it... otherwise I'd like it to be updated before I go mental.

Hi brendanL
    These sites have been provided to advise customers on their NGB status an dshould be consistant with that, so if not correct I can see how that would be frustrating.
    I will bring this to the issue to the attention of our online develpment team. If you PM me your details I will be able to advise exactly which area we are talking about and wil be able clarify your own broadband situation.
    Hope this helps and my apologies for any confusion.
    Tony

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭brendanL

Thanks for reading/replying PM sent ^^

Advertisement