Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where can i learn how to wrap a car...

Options
  • 20-05-2011 5:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭

Hi,

I am a sign writer that has worked for a company for two years, recently I set up on my own. I would like to learn how to wrap cars...is there anywhere I can learn or is it something I just have to learn as I go along.

Window tinting is also another area I would like to get into if anyone has any info on where I could learn this also.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭maringo

This site might be worth investigating for some ideas

http://www.superwraps.com/designers/index.php

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Jingopot

Hi

how is it going? is business good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 cianmcgrath

I wrapped my fathers car off a tree a few years back.
    I could teach you if you want.:p

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Budgieoc18

Jingopot wrote: »
    Hi

how is it going? is business good.

Your obviously in the sign writing area also...
    Its going pretty good so far, im located on the premises of a motorfactor therefore I get a good lot of work through them with people coming in and out. Only started a month so advertising and all to be done yet...so fingers cross. Prob not the best move in this climate but hey, its now or never.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Jingopot

Hi
    Glad to hear that. If you need more space to work out of give me a shout. In the business and have spare capacity.
    J

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Valdez

Im trying to learn how to do this too. Recently got a roland sol-jet. If any you guys got tips or anything about the print industry please give me any advice you have.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,543 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

What advice are you looking for Valdez? There is a plethora of advice on the net regarding printing materials, soljet tutorials etc.

In terms of wrapping courses OP, there is a good course in Holland that runs over 2 or 3 days. This is an investment so don't be surprised when you hear that the cost of this course in the 1000's. Material used for wrapping cars is very expensive as you well know, so afaik, you wrap a couple of cars over the few days you are there. What it really comes down to is experience imo. There are hundreds of shapes of cars and all have their own little intricacies, you have to be clever about how you overcome these obstacles and make the job look good.

I would suggest that you get in contact with an experienced car wrapper, and when you get an order in for a wrap, hire him to do the wrap but make it clear to him that you want to get experience and you want him to take you through the process. This way you will begin to get experience, and you will also get a paid job completed. Using this process will probably not make you alot of cash on the job, but you need to make the initial investment. It will be certainly alot cheaper than going to the uk or Holland for a few days to learn it.

hope this helps and business moves well for you. where are you based if you don't mind me asking?

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Valdez

Thanks for the reply paddylonglegs. Im based in Ballyfermot (Dublin), by live in kildare (Kilcock). you a graphic designer? freelance?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,543 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Valdez wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply paddylonglegs. Im based in Ballyfermot (Dublin), by live in kildare (Kilcock). you a graphic designer? freelance?

yeah valdez, designer, project manager, a little bit of everything when it comes to the signage industry as you probably well know!

Advertisement