Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What can someone do with certain pieces of information

Options
  • 20-05-2011 7:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭

Example - if someone has my account number and sort code, my address, date of birth and home and mobile contact numbers.

Can they withdraw money electronically? Set up direct debits etc.? Apply for credit cards in my name?

Or am I safe?

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Example - if someone has my account number and sort code, my address, date of birth and home and mobile contact numbers.

Can they withdraw money electronically? Set up direct debits etc.? Apply for credit cards in my name?

Or am I safe?

Cheers.

Possibly.
    Yes.
    Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Rebel1977

Or am I safe?

Cheers.
    How did they get all that information ? They can do all of the above, if your worrided might be best to call to your bank and close that account and open a new one for your own safety.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭ldxo15wus6fpgm

Rebel1977 wrote: »
    How did they get all that information ? They can do all of the above, if your worrided might be best to call to your bank and close that account and open a new one for your own safety.

Just a hypothetical.

A/c number and sort code are on cheques... If I paid someone that knew me personally with a cheque you could essentially get screwed over then?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Anyone who knows you well enough could theoretically do some form on identity theft - be in banking or another field.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Jet Black

I remember a while back Jeremy Clarkson said nothing could be done if someone had your sort code and account number so he published his details in the paper. He then had to eat those words as someone had set up a direct debit from his account to a charity.
    If someone has your details they could commit fraud in your name.

• Advertisement
Advertisement