Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

River through your land ?

Options
  • 20-05-2011 7:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Just wondering whats the regulations in regards having a river going through your land. Are you allowed fish it or is a permit still needed ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭smokiebeverage

syboit wrote: »
    Hi,

Just wondering whats the regulations in regards having a river going through your land. Are you allowed fish it or is a permit still needed ?

It depends if you also own the fishing rights on the river, saying that who is going to stop you on your own land!!

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭bayliner

i dont know what the rules are, but you SHOULD be allowed..... joke if not!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭smokiebeverage

Its really a balancing act, your best bet is find out what club either owns or leases the fishing rights on the river. In most cases you will find they would like to be able the access the river from your land so there is a trade off. In most cases the best solution is when the land owner and river rights owners get on. Its by far the best solution for the river.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭famoussheamus

You will have to do some title research to obtain records of fishing rights to river sections. Government own the majority of fishing rights, many are private, some are included with property. It is worth doing the research, do people traverse your land to fish?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Auldloon

It depends. You would need a permit to fish for migratory's for example. Best thing is contact your local fisheries officer for advice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭syboit

thanks for all the replies. Basically brother-in-law has a river going through their farm, he believes it has brown trout and would like to let the small fella fish it. Will tell him to check about the fishing rights and contact the local fishery board just to be on the safe side.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

• Registered Users Posts: 1 justl

This might be of some help when it comes to finding out who owns the fishing rights to the land.

http://www.farmersjournal.ie/2004/0417/ruralliving/countrylifestyle/feature.shtml

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

justl wrote: »
    This might be of some help when it comes to finding out who owns the fishing rights to the land.

http://www.farmersjournal.ie/2004/0417/ruralliving/countrylifestyle/feature.shtml

There is no longer a title research unit in IFI/CFB, they couldn't afford to keep the staff. You must now hire a legal researcher yourself to do title research. Not cheap!

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭aidanf

Has there been people fishing it in the past? If someone else owns the fishing rights and has been using or enforcing them you surely would have noticed people fishing there in the past.

If the river runs through his land and there isn't a club actively using it and you've never heard anything about fishing rights in the past then I'd just go ahead and fish it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

Interesting subject.
    I friend of mine owns a few fields where the liffy runs and said I could fish it anytime as it is his land.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭BoarHunter

gsxr1 wrote: »
    Interesting subject.
    I friend of mine owns a few fields where the liffy runs and said I could fish it anytime as it is his land.

I don't think so. You don't own the river nor the fish that are in it. You can provide the fishing access rights or restrictions but you can't fish it without a licence. A fishing licence, it's a tax for fishing ... every fisherman has to pay ... like you should be paying when you have a dog even though it's a puppy of your bitch, etc, etc ...

Having the river on your lands doesn't give you any more rights in the fishing just exclusive access privileges.

That's the way i see it anyway :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

BoarHunter wrote: »
    I don't think so. You don't own the river nor the fish that are in it. You can provide the fishing access rights or restrictions but you can't fish it without a licence. A fishing licence, it's a tax for fishing ... every fisherman has to pay ... like you should be paying when you have a dog even though it's a puppy of your bitch, etc, etc ...

Having the river on your lands doesn't give you any more rights in the fishing just exclusive access privileges.

That's the way i see it anyway :pac:

Yeah . I was thinking that. I have never taken the offer. He also said I would never get any hassle from anyone as Baliffs and club members would be trespassing on his land if they where to stop me. Not that I condone any of this.
    Im just wondering the real rules of law on the subject. Surly the land owner could fence his own land to the point where no one had access to the river

Advertisement