Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What style of referencing is used in UCC?

• 20-05-2011 7:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

What style of referencing do students of health, medicine, food sciences, biology etc. use? Political and social sciences use the Harvard referencing method but I can't find anything on the website.

I understand the A.M.A. is used in the U.S.

Note: I'm not a student but I just want to understand what would be considered best practice in Ireland for writing an academic essay relating to biological or medicinal sciences.

:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭mini5476

I think its the harvard style we use.

Author, (year). Paper. Journal, volume: pages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Darth Sidious

@mini5476:

Much thanks. If you find out otherwise I'd appreciate the update.

Note: I presume you're addressing the science/biological/medical colleges.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

History: second name, first, title in italics, (publisher, location, date) page number.

So, Plumb, J.H., The Penguin Book of the Renaissance, (Penguin Group, England, 1964), p. 141.

After that, the second reference: Plumb, The Penguin Book, p. 141.

EDIT: Just realised you meant medicine. Oh well, this'll do for any budding historian.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Darth Sidious

@ReacherCreature:

Cheers for posting the format in any case.

There seems to be a few variations on the Harvard style of citation.

Based on a citation software I'm using there's Harvard AGPS, Anglia, Exeter and Leeds. I'm not particularly sure how relevant the difference is.

I'm using http://bibword.codeplex.com/ with Microsoft Word.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Bloody Nipples

It's not as general as that. I've just finished 4th year Microbiology and the format we were told to use for our final year projects was the journal Microbiology. That said there's a lot of variation in journals referencing style within the field of biology as I learned (took me a day to fix that). For example Virology and Microbiology both have different styles.

If you're dealing with a particular department I'd reccomend you email them and ask. And if you're using Endnote they can often provide the specific type to download, makes the whole process way easier!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 229 ✭✭Babyblessed

School of Nursing and Midwifery uses 'modified Havard'. I agree with the previous poster, email the relevant department. I think the School of nursing one is available online.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 rachel_koeman

im in school of med and health and we use modified harvard :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 1234CM

Clinical therapies and medicine use APA style! Theres a few good websites to show u how to use it but its kind of difficult to get ur head around at first!

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭corcaighabu92

Could someone please show me how to use the harvard style of referencing for politics. If anyone has an example that I could look at.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

Could someone please show me how to use the harvard style of referencing for politics. If anyone has an example that I could look at.

Books: Second name, Initial, Year, Title in italics, City of Publication and Publisher.

e.g. Mosley, P. (1991), Aid and Power: The World Bank and Policy-Based Lending, London: Routledge.

Journals: Second name, Initial, Year, Title of the article, Title of the journal in italics, Volume Number, page numbers where the article appeared.

e.g. Crisp, B. & Kelly, M. (1999), ‘The Socioeconomic Impacts of Structural Adjustment’, International Studies Quarterly, Vol. 43, No. 3, pp. 533 – 552.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 raver22

Hi,
    I'm studying medicine and we use Vancouver style for referencing. Hope this helps.

Advertisement