Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Childcare in Dublin

• 20-05-2011 7:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 42

I'm thinking of getting pregnant soon and I've been checking out the cost of childcare around Dublin 6, since both myself and my husband will have to work when I finish maternity leave and I'm shocked at the cost! I've seen other threads of how much people pay down the country and it's coming in at a pittance in comparison. All the creches around D6 are quoting me over €1000 per month! How could any parent afford that? We just don't have that kind of disposable cash. Is there something I'm missing??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 567 ✭✭✭DM addict

Childcare is very expensive for an infant (0-1 years) because of a couple of reasons. Chiefly, there is a HSE requirement for a 1:3 staff/child ratio, which makes the wage bill pretty high. Secondly, insurance on a creche can be expensive, especially when you can consider all the accidents little ones can get into!

If I were you I'd take maternity leave as late as possible into your pregnancy, giving you as much time as possible at home with the little one. If after that you both have to return to work, then creche might be the only option. If it's possible for either of you to work part time/flexi time then it might be possible for your little one to attend creche part time as well, saving you on fees.

Good luck!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,962 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Ours was 1076 no matter what age they are.
    Shop around near owrk and near home.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 sun child

As previous post said take mat leave as late as possible. I have extended my mat leave and only went on mat leave at 38 weeks (baby arrived 38 weeks 4 days :) ) so she will be 10 months when I go back to work. The creche I have put her down for has discounted my rate to the baby rate from the infant rate because she will only be in infant room for a few months. It's not a huge saving but every little make a s difference!

Advertisement