Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Terrified To Drive (24 female)

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Monife

Good luck Lainy.

You will be grand. Don't stress yourself out too much or your mind might go blank, although I don't think it will because it's not like exams where there is loads of text to learn, if you can just put yourself in the situation the question asks you, you should be able to get the right answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭condra

I second the Automatic transmission suggestion. Most arguments in favour of manuals tend to be macho claims about "engaging driving" from guys who have never actually driven an automatic.

Automatics are much easier to drive because you don't have to think about your left foot or left hand. You can simply stick it in "drive"... and drive!

They don't suffer from clutch grinding. They're easy to park, quicker for 3 point turns, don't roll back on hills, and make learning to drive way, way easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Lady Lainy

condra wrote: »
    I second the Automatic transmission suggestion. Most arguments in favour of manuals tend to be macho claims about "engaging driving" from guys who have never actually driven an automatic.

Automatics are much easier to drive because you don't have to think about your left foot or left hand. You can simply stick it in "drive"... and drive!

They don't suffer from clutch grinding. They're easy to park, quicker for 3 point turns, don't roll back on hills, and make learning to drive way, way easier.

sounds exactly what i need. except the old corolla already outside the door. the hand me down from my brother.

Well I think you should definitely look into it. Used cars are ten a penny these days. But please only get second opinions from someone who has actually driven both!

Actually, ideally you might know someone who would let you have a little spin in an automatic. My brother struggled to get into driving for about 2 years until he got an automatic.

I'm a sort of automatic evangelist, so I'm definitely biased. I hope you do try one out for yourself at some stage.

Well I think you should definitely look into it. Used cars are ten a penny these days. But please only get second opinions from someone who has actually driven both!

Actually, ideally you might know someone who would let you have a little spin in an automatic. My brother struggled to get into driving for about 2 years until he got an automatic.

I'm a sort of automatic evangelist, so I'm definitely biased. I hope you do try one out for yourself at some stage.

Thanks! Will definitely look into it! I know you need a special licence for automatics isn't it. I think my uncle has automatic, but its a jeep. I'm starting livery business in the next year or so would need something that could tow a box!

Funny...I feel safer on a horse out on the road than I think i would in a car!

• Advertisement

If you pass your test in an automatic car, your license will be restricted to driving automatics, until you take a test in a manual, which you can always do at a later date.

Jeeps are great things. Surprisingly easy to drive. Definitely have a go in that! You might even decide to pick up a compact jeepy thing like a Terios or HRV.

Personally, I wouldn't recommend you tow anything until you have at least a years experience.

If you pass your test in an automatic car, your license will be restricted to driving automatics, until you take a test in a manual, which you can always do at a later date.

Jeeps are great things. Surprisingly easy to drive. Definitely have a go in that! You might even decide to pick up a compact jeepy thing like a Terios or HRV.

Personally, I wouldn't recommend you tow anything until you have at least a years experience.

oh yeah... definitely.....just dont want to go off and get a car maybe next year...then have to change it in like 3 years time for something powerful enough for towing....

but for now just going to focus on tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭layviae

didnt wanna go off topic on the other tread but laniy dont let it put you off just book it again and you'll do better next time!!! (plus you probally just got hard questions)

layviae wrote: »
    didnt wanna go off topic on the other tread but laniy dont let it put you off just book it again and you'll do better next time!!! (plus you probally just got hard questions)

32/40 folks! But gunna try again in about two weeks...just cant afford another run of it just yet...

and you know what...even tho i failed....its a good learning tool....its made me feel a little safer in my self...i have actually learned!

It was technical stuff i got stuck on, got asked stuff about tyres and brake pads :( but observation/vulnerable road users/signs and markings.....got all right....which i hope means i'll never cause an accident!

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭matt70iu

Lady Lainy wrote: »
    32/40 folks! But gunna try again in about two weeks...just cant afford another run of it just yet...

and you know what...even tho i failed....its a good learning tool....its made me feel a little safer in my self...i have actually learned!

It was technical stuff i got stuck on, got asked stuff about tyres and brake pads :( but observation/vulnerable road users/signs and markings.....got all right....which i hope means i'll never cause an accident!

That's it... stick with it! You've learnt a lot from the experience and that's the most important thing of all:)

Yeah try again, I reckon you'll get it the next time a you know more what to expect. Well done!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Skyrim

Don't lose heart, i know a lot of people who didn't pass first time and got it the second time. Give it another go.

I PASSSD the theory test :D 39/40

That's great to hear... Well done! Next step now would be to apply for your learner permit. Make sure ya do it within 2 years or you'll have to sit your theory test again:)

Feels good to be making progress doesn't it:)

matt70iu wrote: »
    That's great to hear... Well done! Next step now would be to apply for your learner permit. Make sure ya do it within 2 years or you'll have to sit your theory test again:)

Feels good to be making progress doesn't it:)

Getting eye test and more passport pics done tomorrow then up to county hall :D

First Driving Lesson This day next week! The car took a fair ole bit of sorting out...and had to save for insurance, nct, road tax+ lessons.

but I'm doing it!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Best of luck with it OP, once you get over the first initial lessons, get your confidence up, practising and mastering the basics you be well on your way to tackle learning to drive and get over the nerves. Takes time but you will get there!

First Driving Lesson This day next week! The car took a fair ole bit of sorting out...and had to save for insurance, nct, road tax+ lessons.

but I'm doing it!

Well done. You're getting there. To think that just a few months ago you were just about to take your theory test. Keep at it, and let us know how you get on:)

Advertisement