Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First Tattoo - what to expect?

Options
  • 20-05-2011 9:48pm

I am contemplating getting my first tattoo within the next few weeks or so. If I am getting it, it is likely going to be on my inner-upper forearm, just near the armpit. What sort of pain am I going to expect? I only want a few short words, so I can't imagine it lasting very long.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Pain is different for everyone but it'll feel irritating more than painful. Imagine a cat or something scratching away at you and you have a rough idea. Best of luck with it if you do get it done and post a pic :)

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Dangerdunf

A tattoo on your bicep is like a small pinching. It was probly the least painful of all my tattoo's. Just try not to go out drinking the night before the tattoo and try eat or drink something with high sugars before the tattoo and you should be fine :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭zero19

Bring a packet of fruit gums or something with you to eat while the works being done, worked for me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Elbow

No matter what any of us here say your still gonna be worked up before your first tattoo, but it is honestly not half as bad as you expect :D

Relaxed and full of sugar is the best way 2 be :D

I always bring lucozade sport & glucose tablets with me to keep the sugar levels up, keep chatting and the time will fly

Thanks for your advice, guys. Very nervous about it, but I guess it's understandable. I've been contemplating getting one for years, so I might as well!

Find it hard to understand why tattoo parlours don't do some form of henna or temporary tattoo. They could open up a big market for themselves - the people like me, the not-sures.

• Advertisement

Thanks for your advice, guys. Very nervous about it, but I guess it's understandable. I've been contemplating getting one for years, so I might as well!

Find it hard to understand why tattoo parlours don't do some form of henna or temporary tattoo. They could open up a big market for themselves - the people like me, the not-sures.

The nerves, the pain, the feeling of regret that you didnt go bigger :D it's all part of the experience.

Clohane wrote: »
    The nerves, the pain, the feeling of regret that you didnt go bigger :D it's all part of the experience.

I'm pretty sure I won't regret I went bigger. Or maybe I will. It's hard to tell at the moment. Hell, knowing me I'll probably chicken out unless I bring somebody with me.

I'm pretty sure I won't regret I went bigger. Or maybe I will. It's hard to tell at the moment. Hell, knowing me I'll probably chicken out unless I bring somebody with me.

Its addictive ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

Pain is different for everyone but it'll feel irritating more than painful. Imagine a cat or something scratching away at you and you have a rough idea. Best of luck with it if you do get it done and post a pic :)

Some cat you have :D

I was unlucky to have it done by a bad artist (Had to have it redone later) and it hurt like hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Spunk84

PAIN! And anyone tells you different then boooo to them :D eat before you go in and bring something sugary with you to keep your blood sugars up, other than that prepare to get the addication;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Kunnyfunt

BAHAHA i had my first tattoo two months ago, it's on my neck & i nicely passed out. Apparently i was dumb enough not to eat, it didnt hurt that much but yeah. So make sure you do eat before you go :D

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Jake The Fat Ma

Pain Is Weakness Leaving The Body

So I bit the bullet yesterday and decided to get my tattoo. Went in to book an appointment and the guys had a free space then and there, so I decided to do it. It's on my inner upper forearm, just by my armpit and, with the information people had told me here, I made sure to eat just before I went in, just on the offchance they did take me. During it I made sure to have something sweet with me, which I munched during the tattoo itself.

And I gotta say .. there really wasn't that much pain. Not acting like a macho-man or anything, but it was perfectly fine. This may have been down to the tattoo artist himself, who took his time with it.

So I bit the bullet yesterday and decided to get my tattoo. Went in to book an appointment and the guys had a free space then and there, so I decided to do it. It's on my inner upper forearm, just by my armpit and, with the information people had told me here, I made sure to eat just before I went in, just on the offchance they did take me. During it I made sure to have something sweet with me, which I munched during the tattoo itself.

And I gotta say .. there really wasn't that much pain. Not acting like a macho-man or anything, but it was perfectly fine. This may have been down to the tattoo artist himself, who took his time with it.

Welcome to the club boneyarsebogman, what ya get and most importantly.........Pics? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Pain Is Weakness Leaving The Body

Pain is consciousness leaving the brain

Clohane wrote: »
    Pics? :D

Not yet - will probably have some by this weekend. It's nothing big - just the outline of a star, which I've always wanted to have. Still somewhat amazed by how little it actually hurt.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Dangerdunf

Fair play buddy!

picanom_picture_03_2011_05_27.jpg

There we go - as you can see, it's really nothing much, but I'm proud of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Was it as bad/worse/better than you expected? :)

A lot better. I genuinely was expecting a lot of pain, yet it was only a mild discomfort than anything else - certainly nothing that bad.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭Sgt.Peppers

all you should worry about is getting addicted

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭antocann

all you should worry about is getting addicted

but that is the best part

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭Sgt.Peppers

true but gets annoying after a while you realize **** i have more money on my arms and legs then i do in my bank account

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭antocann

true but gets annoying after a while you realize **** i have more money on my arms and legs then i do in my bank account

thats also true

• Registered Users Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

Nice tattoo. Well done. I always found the pain felt less when I watched what was happening. I used to look away and then felt it even more; but when I watched it, it didn't seem to hurt as much. Purely psychological.

In my experience, I found where you got it done was more sore than on the outside. The fleshier parts were OK, and nearest the bone was the worst. I've a full sleeve and the worst parts were the shoulder, the elbow, and strangely the inner arm (like where you've got yours).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭zero19

Where did ya get it done?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Im shocked that you think that was a relatively easy place to get tattooed. That was the worst pain of all of mine, absolute agony for the majority of it.

I got it done in G's tattoo parlour, formerly Metalworks.

There was some mild discomfort but no excessive pain.

Melion wrote: »
    Im shocked that you think that was a relatively easy place to get tattooed. That was the worst pain of all of mine, absolute agony for the majority of it.

I agree, the inner bicep is a bitch!

If you taught that was easy OP you'll have no bother in future :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Maire2009

Nice tattoo. Well done. I always found the pain felt less when I watched what was happening. I used to look away and then felt it even more; but when I watched it, it didn't seem to hurt as much. Purely psychological.

In my experience, I found where you got it done was more sore than on the outside. The fleshier parts were OK, and nearest the bone was the worst. I've a full sleeve and the worst parts were the shoulder, the elbow, and strangely the inner arm (like where you've got yours).

Oh noes :( I'm getting my shoulder blade done soon, and I'm such a terrible girl when it comes to these things. :o

I have one on my lower back so have an idea what to expect. I always said I'd only get one :o ah to be young and naive. I've one done and two more planned ... but that's definitely it then.

Advertisement