Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What does prejudice my insurance claim mean

Options
  • 20-05-2011 10:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭

Hi, Just a quick question i am baffled with. Basically i have an insurance claim with an insurance company which will remain anonymous. Initially there was talks from the person who i am claiming off paying for some if not all of the damages to my car as i believe he is at fault, and he suffered no damage so he has no claim against me. The claim amount was less than 1000 euro and involved a side mirror and side window needing to be replaced in my car, no panel or paintwork damage. So basically on the assumption that this was going to be settled without going through his insurance i went and fixed the window and mirror. However he turned the tables on me and refused to pay anything. Now i have submitted a claim against him to his insurance. Today i got a call from the insurance company saying i had prejudiced my claim by getting the repairs done. I went on to explain i got them done for two reasons, one being the car needed a window to keep the rain out and two because i was hoping to resolve the issue without going through his insurance. What exactly does this now mean for me, or is the insurance company looking for a way out???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,997 ✭✭✭3DataModem

They mean that their assessor cannot determine the damage done, as it is now fixed.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

OP when you contacted the insurance co, did they mention seeing any evidence of the damage?

If you gave them an opportunity to see it but they didn't, maybe you could complain to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭jaffa20

You contacted his insurance company after you had the repairs carried out which would invalidate the claim. You need to contact the insurance company asap and explain the situation even if you are thinking about settling it outside insurance.

€1000 for a window and a mirror does seem like a lot so the insurance company couldn't really assess the damage or see if any damage was done at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,437 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

+1 you haven't a leg to stand on, the insurance company are well within their rights refusing to entertain the claim.

Did you even take a few photos of the damage? If not you can forget about chasing the insurance company, you'll have to sue the guy in the civil courts and if he doesn't own a house or other property that might even be a waste of time.

Advertisement