Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dropping from HL to OL on the day

• 20-05-2011 10:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭

I've searched the forum but can't find any info on this so I thought I'd ask.

Is it possible to do an Ordinary paper on the day of the exam even though you've been registered as Higher level?

I'm an external candidate and so have emailed the sec twice about it but no one's answering. I've heard from people you can do this, but I don't want to be bolloxed on the day by finding out I can't. The school I'm doing it in are as terrible for answering phone calls as well, so I can't get help from them.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Many people do I believe. It would make sense for the examiner to have spares to anticipate this. Not sure about doing a HL paper from OL though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Many people do it, they usually have a spare OL maths papers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭macskanadrag

Hiya,
    I'm not Irish so I don't know if it's possible but I wouldn't relax until I know for certain that it will be an option on the day. Try to ring them instead of emailing - I'm doing LC this year too as an external and the only time I managed to contact them was through the phone.

http://www.examinations.ie/index.php?l=en&mc=co&sc=ct

I would try "Entries and Applications" first, they have 3 phone numbers listed, try them all. If they don't answer, try "Examiners". Good luck :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,232 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Yes it is possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Yes, it is possible, but one would advise against it..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭jimcoolding

I registered to do higher Irish but have decided with my teacher to drop to ordinary, so do I just take the ordinary on the day or do I have to tell someone that I have dropped down?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

mpdg wrote: »
    I've searched the forum but can't find any info on this so I thought I'd ask.

Is it possible to do an Ordinary paper on the day of the exam even though you've been registered as Higher level?

I'm an external candidate and so have emailed the sec twice about it but no one's answering. I've heard from people you can do this, but I don't want to be bolloxed on the day by finding out I can't. The school I'm doing it in are as terrible for answering phone calls as well, so I can't get help from them.

Yes you can, the entries for HL and OL are more for the SEC to figure out roughly how many papers to print and how many examiners they will need to hire at each level etc etc.

On the day of the exam the supervisor will ask you if you want the HL or the OL paper and you can choose then. That's about all that will happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭alexlyons

just remember the HL and OL courses are generally very different

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭paulmclaughlin

yeah you can. but, correct me if i'm wrong, if it's the english course the ordinary level do different poems to higher level?

Advertisement