Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iPad 2 - WiFi - Can I get a dongle?

• 20-05-2011 10:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭

Hi

I have just got the iPad 2 (WiFi) If I am out of a wifi area is it possible to connect a 3g Dongle?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

You can connect to a device that generates a mobile hotspot. iPhones, most Android phones and these kinda things http://www.meteor.ie/mobile_broadband/bp/#hotspot-tab do it. I use my iPhones data connection on my iPad all the time.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

No, you would need to buy a mifi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭culabula

knockon wrote: »
    Hi

I have just got the iPad 2 (WiFi) If I am out of a wifi area is it possible to connect a 3g Dongle?

Yes, a specific kind of 3G dongle that is called a MiFi. Creates a personal wifi hotspot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭gzoladz

Mifi or mobile hotspot. I have a Nokia E72 and have joikuspot installed to create a hotspot. It works very well and it averages a 1mbps speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Crusty Blaa

gzoladz wrote: »
    Mifi or mobile hotspot. I have a Nokia E72 and have joikuspot installed to create a hotspot. It works very well and it averages a 1mbps speed.

Hey, thanks very much for this. I bought a WIFI only iPad a few months back as I didn't think I would need the 3G and thought it was way overpriced. I got a new job which required me to be on the road a lot more and I started to realise I needed the 3G to keep me entertained and for Google Maps etc. I have the same phone as you and downloaded Joikuspot and it works a treat with my iPad, slow enough but it does the job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Hey, thanks very much for this. I bought a WIFI only iPad a few months back as I didn't think I would need the 3G and thought it was way overpriced. I got a new job which required me to be on the road a lot more and I started to realise I needed the 3G to keep me entertained and for Google Maps etc. I have the same phone as you and downloaded Joikuspot and it works a treat with my iPad, slow enough but it does the job.

It's a handy tool, but can be severe on the phone when used for long periods. It will get hot so don't have it in a case either

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Crusty Blaa

Davy wrote: »
    It's a handy tool, but can be severe on the phone when used for long periods. It will get hot so don't have it in a case either

Thanks for the advise, Davy. I presume this happens with all phones and not just Nokias?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Thanks for the advise, Davy. I presume this happens with all phones and not just Nokias?

Yes to a degree, but with the iPhone you could tether it using the cable which is better than creating a hotspot. The E72 is well able to handle it though, it was older models that went bang. I use joiku on a nokia most days without a problem. I didn't mean to scare you, just don't leave it on for hours :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭gzoladz

I have recently moved houses and as I did not have bb for a couple of days I had my E72 plugged to the mains creating a hotspot for days.

It responded very well and it did not get too hot. It really saved me.

Advertisement