Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ring of Death scratch

Options
  • 20-05-2011 11:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭

Hey I accidentily tapped my xbox load noises turned off asap. Ring scratch on FIFA 11 cd gutted any way it can be possibly fixed?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭punk77

Not sure but most game shops offer a disc repair service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

If you only tapped it it should be fine getting the disc resurfaced. IF you only tapped it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

Just go into a shop and say what happened.

Not sure about "GameStop"

But on the few occasions that it happened "Game" shop always resurfaced it for me free of charge and it worked perfect after. If you got the 360 Slim copy it onto the HDD and run it off that. It will only spin it once and wont be reading it during gameplay so less chance of that happening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭T2daK

the games starts but before the training screen it says disc unreadable

Did you bring it into the shop. As i said im not sure does gamestop does it for free but they do disc repair service :)

Theres no other way of doing it besides repolishing the surface to take out the scratches :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Reamer Fanny

Just go into a shop and say what happened.

Not sure about "GameStop"

But on the few occasions that it happened "Game" shop always resurfaced it for me free of charge and it worked perfect after. If you got the 360 Slim copy it onto the HDD and run it off that. It will only spin it once and wont be reading it during gameplay so less chance of that happening.

+1 "GAME" do offer disc repair, they use the DISC-GO-DEVIL makes your discs as good as new :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭thorbarry

Try install it to your HDD, sometimes it will work.

Or, install a friends copy. Your scratched version will work in the xbox if your friends copy is installed.

Its ridiculous that the console cant be moved slightly. If a CD player in a car doesn't scratch discs, Xbox's shouldn't either.

thorbarry wrote: »

Or, install a friends copy. Your scratched version will work in the xbox if your friends copy is installed.

Its ridiculous that the console cant be moved slightly. If a CD player in a car doesn't scratch discs, Xbox's shouldn't either.

Seems obvious doesnt it? I was shocked when it ate my first DVD haha :) Now its always horizontally placed :)

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭paddyk

• Registered Users Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭niallon

GameStop don't repair discs, or at least my local one doesn't

Smyths do for €3 a disc, any store. Disc Go Devil same as GAME

GAME do as well, not sure about price. A GAME store doing it for free is specific to that store's discretion I'd imagine cause the Disc Go Devil's ain't cheap to run!

• Advertisement

niallon wrote: »
    GameStop don't repair discs, or at least my local one doesn't

Smyths do for €3 a disc, any store. Disc Go Devil same as GAME

GAME do as well, not sure about price. A GAME store doing it for free is specific to that store's discretion I'd imagine cause the Disc Go Devil's ain't cheap to run!

Well i didnt even buy it from that shop :) I bought my Xbox over Xmas in Athlone Game shop. I told them what the story was. When i asked them how much they just told me im ahri :)

That was the Game shop in Ilac shopping centre

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭jamescd

It costs a fiver, in Game Liffey Valley anyway. But I got one of my games done free of charge because I bought it there and I had the receipt with me. The guy said if it happens again I'll be charged a fiver.

He asked me "Did I move the xbox while the disc was spinning?!" and I said no without thinking. I felt kinda stupid after considering nothing else could have caused such a perfectly round scratch :o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭-=al=-

very true that!

my mate got a game swaped in xavi or HMV, whatever it was at the time for free... i ruined a splintercell disc on my old xbox then tried to repair it with toothoaste

no, it didnt work =/

Well i didnt even buy it from that shop :) I bought my Xbox over Xmas in Athlone Game shop. I told them what the story was. When i asked them how much they just told me im ahri :)

That was the Game shop in Ilac shopping centre

Like I said, you're dealing with a sound out GAME store! :D (Albeit one that wil go out of business if it isn't careful! :pac:)

jamescd wrote: »
    He asked me "Did I move the xbox while the disc was spinning?!" and I said no without thinking. I felt kinda stupid after considering nothing else could have caused such a perfectly round scratch

It's ok, everyone says the same to me daily! :D I can't blame yee, it's a bloody annoying problem but at least the cleaners more often than not fix the scratches.

Like I said, you're dealing with a sound out GAME store! :D (Albeit one that wil go out of business if it isn't careful! :pac
    well they got my money :) id go there looking for games first :)cause in all occasions that I dealt with em its been more than a delightful experience

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

It happened me twice so I went to Game and they told me it is not a scratch but lazer burn and asked if my Xbox was standing up which it was and told me to lie it flat which I did.. Hasn't happened since.

It happened me twice so I went to Game and they told me it is not a scratch but lazer burn and asked if my Xbox was standing up which it was and told me to lie it flat which I did.. Hasn't happened since.

Same :) If its down flat it wont wobble if you grab it or anything so solves the problem. Though its a shame since Xbox looks alot nicer vertically :D

My GF's brother didnt even know about this cause he always had his console horizontally till i told him what happened to me

Same :) If its down flat it wont wobble if you grab it or anything so solves the problem. Though its a shame since Xbox looks alot nicer vertically :D

My GF's brother didnt even know about this cause he always had his console horizontally till i told him what happened to me

I've always had my xbox horizontally,never vertically.Always load games to hard drive. No scratches on my discs and no other issues with console.I guess looks aren't everything :D

punk77 wrote: »
    I've always had my xbox horizontally,never vertically.Always load games to hard drive. No scratches on my discs and no other issues with console.I guess looks aren't everything :D

Well i had to put it up beside the skybox anyway. When the dog used to play with the ball he always managed to throw the ball towards it and either press eject or power button :D (the downside of capacitive buttons and a rubber ball :D )

But yes :) Horizontally placed and games saved to HDD saves alot of hastle. Also the drive will live longer and xbox will be alot more quiet :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

Very true :p
    A car could hit a mega pothole with a cd playing and the cd would survive .its ridiculous at this stage that Microsoft hasn't fixed this in newer models .even a slight movement to the xbox when its on can cause that horrid gobbling sound of the disc been eaten by the console:pac:

I've learned to avoid moving it at all costs while its on i even return to the Xbox dashboard and wait for the disc to stop spinning altogether to stop it from happening .

Its a shame tough such a good console with so many problems.
    The original Xbox was brilliant IMO could at least move it while it was on without destroying games in it:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭ronan keane

What you did is Laser-Burn nearly unfixable hard luck

• Registered Users Posts: 15,365 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

And please dont call Xbox support about this....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭thorbarry

Vicxas wrote: »
    And please dont call Xbox support about this....

i used to work there and we had a script we had to ready out when the issues came up.

Usually you could improvise, but this particular one you had to read word for word. It was a load of horse ****e

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

Happened to us on a brand new copy of Dance central. Our little one kicked a ball at the machine, knocking it over and ruining the disc. Gamestop will not entertain on these incidents [even if you lie, they'll say it's "laser burn" ... which it is not ... and refuse to change the game]

The burn is caused by the disc coming out of place in the tray from the impact, the burn is caused by the disc continuing to spin, it basically gets etched by the tray itself. the laser will never do this.

Fix option #2 [if you cannot get to a game shop that has a buffer machine: rent the game from your local Xtra-vision, install ... return game and your 'burned' copy will work from there on ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

Went to game who said it could not be fixed, went to smyths who put it in the machine and it worked fine.

Traumadoc wrote: »
    Went to game who said it could not be fixed, went to smyths who put it in the machine and it worked fine.

What do Smyths charge for repair? I'm surprised Game could not fix it. Did they give you a reason?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Fix option #2 [if you cannot get to a game shop that has a buffer machine: rent the game from your local Xtra-vision, install ... return game and your 'burned' copy will work from there on ;)
    Boo! ... Down with that sort of thing...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

punk77 wrote: »
    What do Smyths charge for repair? I'm surprised Game could not fix it. Did they give you a reason?

cannot remember but less than 10 euro, Game said it was a laser burn and could not be repaired. edit it was gamestop not game apologies

Smyths charge €3 per disc. Whoever was working in that GAME store should be fired, there's no "laser burn" disc that cannot at least get an attempt at repair

• Advertisement

Smyths charge €3 per disc. Whoever was working in that GAME store should be fired, there's no "laser burn" disc that cannot at least get an attempt at repair

Traumadoc amended that.It was Gamestop not Game but I agree.I can't understand why they told him it couldn't be repaired.

Advertisement