Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Donegal Slang

Options
12346»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭IfUSeekAmy

deman wrote: »
    Brave(n)

That's a braven big farm.

or

He has a brave wee bit o' money.

Very unique to the NW.

My nan uses that all the time. Far reaches of WestKerry. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 46,098 ✭✭✭✭muffler

IfUSeekAmy wrote: »
    My nan uses that all the time. Far reaches of WestKerry. :)
    bjaysus, thats a brave reach :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Madam

Absolutely not. The Laggan accent ends around Manor and then continues up around Ramelton a bit.

So what 'district'(?) is L'Kenny in then:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭deman

Just because a place might be in a district doesn't mean it uses the local slang. Letterkenny's accent has a lot of outside influence as people moved there for work, education, whatever...

Just because a place might be in a district doesn't mean it uses the local slang. Letterkenny's accent has a lot of outside influence as people moved there for work, education, whatever...

As would most of the Laggan and the Finn Valley - mostly people from down the county in Gweedore and The Rosses before the 1950 and to a certain extent afterwards would have had an influence in slang words:) Not to mention Scots wans over on holiday with their own slang words to add to the mix;)

• Advertisement

The Scots would fit in very well with the Laggan accent.

And I don't really think you can compare the amount of people that moved to Letterkenny with those who moved to the Finn Valley/Laggan area. The Letterkenny accent is an accent on its own and is not a Laggan accent. I've never heard a Letterkenny person saying that they were scunnered because their wee cutty wudnae sleep last night.

The Scots would fit in very well with the Laggan accent.

And I don't really think you can compare the amount of people that moved to Letterkenny with those who moved to the Finn Valley/Laggan area. The Letterkenny accent is an accent on its own and is not a Laggan accent. I've never heard a Letterkenny person saying that they were scunnered because their wee cutty wudnae sleep last night.

Lol - So what your saying the L'kenny folk are somehow 'posher' than the rest of Donegal?

Madam wrote: »
    Lol - So what your saying the L'kenny folk are somehow 'posher' than the rest of Donegal?
    Where did I say that??

Where did I say that??

Of course you did'nt, I was being a wee bit facetious but the folk I know from L'Kenny, you would'nt know if they came from Manor or even as far out as Newtoncunningham, they just seem(to my ear)to speak that little bit faster than those.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭Noreen1

In fairness, I think Letterkenny is a bit of a melting pot of accents, because people from all over the county go there to shop, or study at LYIT.

Then again, maybe I formed that impression through talking to staff in various outlets, who may not actually be from Letterkenny in the first place?

Does it really matter, anyway?
    People "down the country" can't differentiate - then again, half the people down the Country seem to think we live in Northern Ireland.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 lovebud

just to change it a bit there was a program on bbc last night about the outer hebrides an old lady was interviewed her accent was almost identical to the gweedore or west donegal accent anyone see it

I missed the programme, though I remember watching a sketch on another programme where people were speaking Scots "Gallic".

I was surprised to find that I could actually understand the odd word. Some of the pronunciations were identical to Donegal Irish. Mind you, other words were unfathomable...:D

Not so surprising, really - Columbcille was a busy wee man:p:D:D.

lovebud wrote: »
    just to change it a bit there was a program on bbc last night about the outer hebrides an old lady was interviewed her accent was almost identical to the gweedore or west donegal accent anyone see it

Did'nt see it, but we used to have a lovely wee bar/restaurant near us in Glasgow with two two waitresses, one from The Hebrides and the other from Donegal (The Rosses) - you'd have thought they were sisters. with the sing songy accents:)

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭boxer.fan

Gawn doon tae the deak abeen thon now an tik a ganner at them beece

= Go down to the hedge behind that hill and have a look at those cattle.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭mugbags

boxer.fan wrote: »
    Gawn doon tae the deak abeen thon now an tik a ganner at them beece

= Go down to the hedge behind that hill and have a look at those cattle.

lol! that's mare liker the sort a chat am used te! thems quare beece doon thonder fenenst thon deak our abeen thon now! I have ancestry around Carrigans/Killea area and the 'language' seems to have migrated with them to Kilmacrenan! :D Also did anyone ever hear of a 'dag' meaning a heavy downpour of rain? or a 'plash' again meaning a wile downpour of rain or too much gravy on your dinner?!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Dr. Fell

God's Scust to it! A Glencolmcillese exclamation of frustration.

Dr. Fell wrote: »

It's been a while since I heard that one, lol.

Dr. Fell wrote: »

It's a long time since I heard that, but my family from just outside Raphoe have been known to use it, granted their all in their 70s and 80s so maybe it's a generations thing with the slang - not that I regard it as slang more of a dialect don't you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 46,098 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I heard that a good few times also but I always thought it was "God's curse on it" :(

I think it's "Gods cuss", but it ends up being rolled into "Gods scusst".

I don't know where the "t" at the end came from.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Dr. Fell

Madam wrote: »
    It's a long time since I heard that, but my family from just outside Raphoe have been known to use it, granted their all in their 70s and 80s so maybe it's a generations thing with the slang - not that I regard it as slang more of a dialect don't you think?
    Perhaps. I called it Gleneese because i never heard anyone else using it. Glad its as far east as Raphoe. Perhaps farther.....?

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭Burnt

What about,

Snahwee: derogatory, a conniving/slippery etc... person
    Covey: man/boy
    Stachai: boy
    Glar: muck
    snoke/snokin': search for something surreptitiously
    a wee baul of tea: bowl of tea
    coped: turned over or capsized
    shower: collection or bunch
    grape: a hay fork with more than two prongs

• Registered Users Posts: 43 bobby14

I was out planting a few daffodils in my estate a few years ago and a little girl who went to the gaelscoil was helping. It started to rain and one of the men asked the girl what was the irish for rain. She replied "pishin"

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭mugbags

Gleestered: Plastered with, usually in relation to a messy eater's face for example when he was finished eating his face was gleestered with gravy/jam/grease etc!

Sludered: Plastered with, usually in relation to a messy paint job for example he sludered the paint on the chair (and it went everywhere!)

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭weefarmer

Curse a jesus on it!

Die dog, or ****e the licence!

Things are getting tight when you hear that.

I'd say ive heard nearly all of these and used most of them too.

Advertisement