Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dell Ordering tip

Options
  • 21-05-2011 12:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭

Hi guys,
    A little tip that will probably save you €50 or more when ordering from dell.

you will need an account, set one up.

First configure your desktop or laptop the way you want it, when you get to "order summary" SAVE the item.

Now X your browser or tab and redo this.

Just as you as you start to configure your computer, PAUSE. In awhile a chat box that will hover across the screen asking you if you need help. say yes.

Now your talking to a sales rep.

Tell them you have been looking at a particular laptop or pc but you feel its slightly out of the price bracket you were hoping to pay, add in that you were looking at other brands and you would be making the decision withing the next few hours, they will ask you what PC you want to buy here so say that you have it saved on your account ---- they will ask you for certain details to look at your account.

When they say they have found it, tell them your looking to buy it asap if they offer some sort of discount or incentive, also just add in what kind of discount you were hoping for, nothing too extravagant! €50-€150 (these guys want sales so they are prepared to do this, its worked for the last 2 computer purchases i've made from them)

They will pause for a while usually tell you they are talking to their sales managers, And will come back with an offer which can be at least €50 off! ive had €150 off on one purchase.

You can either order it there and then or ask them to email you the quote which you can finalize at a later date all through their chat service..

evidence or my discount here:-

Original order summary:
    V5vn9.jpg

My quote:
    nyt4W.jpg

A whopping €84.69!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Sagat06

or you could look at the dell discount thread or google dell discount code and save yourself a lot of hassle!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

daedal wrote: »
    A whopping €84.69!!

:eek: I think you mean a whopping €1453.90 its amazing how much people are willing to spend in order to play games on a tiny screen :p

Thanks for the tip, tis a bit like what I have to do everytime the insurance renewal arrives I love a good haggle - 'alf a denari for me bloody life insurance

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,943 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

I tried an order but couldn't find the "PAUSE" button.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

For those without a €1500 laptop to work it out for them, that's a monster 5.5% off:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭whore

I got a laptop for my brother about a month and a half ago...got it down from 1150 to 800 without doing anything but going to dmx dimension, getting a deal, using the discount codes and the employee purchase program. The still made a lot of money on that laptop i'm sure, but for my laptop 800 was the base price, 1150 was the ridiculously over inflated price they try charge everyone and, more often than not, they succeed in this. Big difference in making say 200 euro on a laptop and 550. I can guarantee they didn't sell me that laptop at a loss. I'd say you could get the laptop you got for ~€1000-€1100 going on the fact that i got 30% off the list price. It's just a money making scam, they've been doing it for years, it is very well done though, they rip someone off and they go tell their friends what a great deal they got.

Dell wins, flawless victory.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭m4rkiz

good tip if you going to buy anyway, but why in earth would you buy 1400 euro laptop with just 12 months warranty??

Another Dell ordering Tip.....

Dont Order

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭SickBoy

Another Dell ordering Tip..... Dont Order
    What's your alternative, build your own? :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

1.5k for a friggin 11.6 inch "gaming" laptop that you can't upgrade or get decent drivers for?! WTF?

That much money would build you a decent gaming desktop with enough left over to get a nice utraportable.

And people bitch about Macs being expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭daedal

Yes i am well and truly mad for paying that much, but in my defense, i have a gaming desktop, which is pretty bad ass, but soon ill be off travelling for a long stretch and there is no way im gonna be hauling that around.

I wanted something extremely portable and somewhat powerful and this ticked the boxes, i think the price is right for this kind of spec tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,981 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

m4rkiz wrote: »
    but why in earth would you buy 1400 euro laptop with just 12 months warranty??

Because I assume he is aware of his consumer rights.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭gar32

Small tip for dell too :) Order using your Piggsback account & you can get piggy points on top of your disount. I got enough for a nice pair of Jeans in Topman a few months back :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭bennyc

Jimdagym wrote: »
    For those without a €1500 laptop netbook to work it out for them, that's a monster 5.5% off:pac:

What I did was call them up and haggle over the phone, instead of going for high spec and looking for discounts on price I started with normal spec and haggled for upgrades, sales rep told me at the end they can upgrade components rather that discounting price. Was a couple of years ago mind you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭bennyc

Boggles wrote: »
    Because I assume he is aware of his consumer rights.

Explain ? After 12 months are you entitled to out of warranty replacements on parts ?

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭thecornflake

bennyc wrote: »
    What I did was call them up and haggle over the phone, instead of going for high spec and looking for discounts on price I started with normal spec and haggled for upgrades, sales rep told me at the end they can upgrade components rather that discounting price. Was a couple of years ago mind you.

I thought everyone knew that. They always give you free upgrades. I rang them up and just said i'd like my RAm upgraded and the guy just said "yeah cool" and did it. I don't see the point of adding stuff to a cart, taking it away closing your browser ect ect. Jut ring them up and say this is what i want, this is what i want to pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

Explain ? After 12 months are you entitled to out of warranty replacements on parts ?

Under Irish law all electronic goods are covered for up to 6 years. A laptop like this should not fail within 4 years IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭brav

I thought law was if defect was at manufacturing and you have to prove it? I could be wrong though, consumer law does not extend normal warranty

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

ch750536 wrote: »
    Under Irish law all electronic goods are covered for up to 6 years. A laptop like this should not fail within 4 years IMO.

Its 'up-to' 6 years, and it depends on the type of electronic. Laptops/desktops are classified as consumables, and qualify for a 2 year statutory minimum warranty. This is only in keeping with EU consumer law (other countries offer longer- however the norm is 2 years in the EU now).

• Registered Users Posts: 39,981 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

brav wrote: »
    I thought law was if defect was at manufacturing and you have to prove it? I could be wrong though, consumer law does not extend normal warranty

A warranty is supplied by the manufacturer.

It does not replace your consumer rights our absolve the seller of their duty of care post sale.

Under Irish consumer law, there is no such thing as burden of proof of manufacturing defect, as the only one that can conclusively prove it is a manufacturing fault is in fact the manufacturer. Currys tried to pedal the same thing before their MD was caught out on boards and forced to change their strategy.

A laptop sold for 1500 should be fit for purpose and last a lot longer than 12 months and 1 day, as long as it wasn't mistreated.
    smccarrick wrote: »
    Its 'up-to' 6 years, and it depends on the type of electronic. Laptops/desktops are classified as consumables, and qualify for a 2 year statutory minimum warranty. This is only in keeping with EU consumer law (other countries offer longer- however the norm is 2 years in the EU now).

I find that very hard to believe, have you a link.

European Consumer Law runs along side Irish Consumer law, it does not replace it.

Irish Consumer Law is based largely on good old fashioned fairness.

Advertisement