Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wexford Wheelers' Frank O Rourke race May 29th

• 21-05-2011 12:55am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭

http://www.wexfordwheelers.com/index.php/2011/05/frank-o-rourke-2011/

One for your calander: same route as last year, please refer to the wexford wheelers website for details.

Frank O Rourke ( RIP) was the proprieter of the Opel Ferrybank Motors Car sales, who feature on the Wexford Wheelers Jersey and who continue to sponsor and support the club, along with our other sponsors such as

McCaffrey Tools,
    Waste Pal,
    Ulster Bank,
    the bike shop,
    Kinsellas of Kileens,
    Celtic Ferries,

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 511 ✭✭✭531

I'll be there, what's the course like?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭michael196

described as rolling, hav not been on it myself just yet.

So, Michael196, will you be racing yourself or will you be officiating?

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭giannip

Flat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

giannip wrote: »
    Flat

Flat flat?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭fondriest

Flat except for the hills.

531 wrote: »
    So, Michael196, will you be racing yourself or will you be officiating?

been shown the course tomorrow sunday, then see how the form is later in the week.

Am working friday and saturday, but I guess I will attempt to race it, or at least be bunch fodder.......

Down the last few days with a cold and hayfever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭easygoing39

Off topic,but i remember him racing in Mondello when i was a kid/teenager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,166 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

From last year, thread, profile (3 laps), map.

lumen the map is correct, todays wind was blowing hard along the main road stretch ,

• Advertisement

So, are many going to do this? Might be worth a trip down to the sunny south east.:cool:

Off topic,but i remember him racing in Mondello when i was a kid/teenager.

As do I. I think he won most races he entered, a great driver. He also raced the Rás in the early 1960s (I think) so he raced bikes a long time before he raced cars. Even when well into his 60s he was quick on the bike, showed guys half his age how it was done.

I met Frank a few years back in Wexford wheelers. He had just come back into the sport. He spent a year out training on his own before turning up in the club meeting place.

Immediatly he was destroying lads in their 20' and 30's as he raced the tours up mount leinster !!!

I remember a 'tour' from wexford to bunclody one day, wind, rain, early spring, freezing cold, just misery but sunny !!! , everyone of us hoping frank would get fed up , turn around and head home, but he kept driving the bunch all the way , and eventually he turned around, to our sighs of relief.

No weather would stop him. the Wexford Wheelers Jerseys' Opel Ferrybank logo is franks car delaership business, passed onto the next generation in his family, and a testament to how strongly he loved his cycling, to have the family continue his sponsorship after his passing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭levitronix

Just got a day pass for this , looks like it will be a bit windy tomorrow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭levitronix

Done the A4 race today bit of a mad race was lucky to miss the crash in the last 2km had to bunny hope a wheel, ended up on someones handle bars at one stage when someone in DCC gear ran into me on the 2nd lap, and had to listen to some amount of moaning from people who wanted and didnt wana chase a break

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭fondriest

Rode the A3 race today . Fair play to the two lads who stayed away for about 50km to win. Punctured on the last lap and buried myself to get back on before the main road section because the speed was over 60kph on that section. Got on but the legs were fecked after the chase,sprinted in the saddle with one hand on the bars and the other holding my hamstring to try to stop the cramping, think i got about 10th ish. There's always next week.

Advertisement