Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving school before the leaving cert?

Options
  • 21-05-2011 1:18am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

So sorry if this is in the wrong forum or has been asked already. I'm new and doing my best to understand how things work here so please bear with me.

Due to personal reasons, I really want to leave school. I've turned 16 this year so I'm not legally obligated to attend, but what I would like to know is:

If I quit school, but bought all the books, downloaded the syllabus, went to my more-than-willing former school for help, got online classes and tutors, could I take the leaving cert in two/three years if I felt ready?

I've given this a lot of thought, and I'm 100% positive I can do it without the school I'm in at the moment but would I be allowed to take the leaving cert with the rest of the people my age? Or, would I have to wait until I qualify as a mature student just to go to college?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Maybe_Memories

So sorry if this is in the wrong forum or has been asked already. I'm new and doing my best to understand how things work here so please bear with me.

Due to personal reasons, I really want to leave school. I've turned 16 this year so I'm not legally obligated to attend, but what I would like to know is:

If I quit school, but bought all the books, downloaded the syllabus, went to my more-than-willing former school for help, got online classes and tutors, could I take the leaving cert in two/three years if I felt ready?

I've given this a lot of thought, and I'm 100% positive I can do it without the school I'm in at the moment but would I be allowed to take the leaving cert with the rest of the people my age? Or, would I have to wait until I qualify as a mature student just to go to college?

Yeah, absolutely. You'd just have to apply as an external candidate.
    There's no age limit on doing the LC or going to college.

For example, I'm pretty sure someone with a PhD in Physics could apply to sit LC physics for the laugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭murria

Just did a quick Google and this might be of use to you as an External Candidate. http://www.examinations.ie/secmain/2011_candidiate_info_booklet.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭orlabobs

Personally seems a lot more work than just attending school... and you miss out on the fun at school too. Do you definitely have to leave school? You seem really keen to further your education.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 SingingClouds

Thank you for the information and the link! It actually really helped.

@orlabobs I think the extra work would be worth in the end though :) There is no fun in school for me due to the fact I'm in one of the worst in the schools (Actually said so in one of the papers) and they all act like animals! They bully anyone even a little different from them. I really want to do well in life and go to college but it's impossible when you can't learn anything because some people think the world revolves around them during class.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Seems a bit drastic to leave schooling entirely. Why not move school?

• Advertisement

None will accept me. I've tried every school in my area and they're all either full or put me on a waiting list that will take two years anyway.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

None will accept me. I've tried every school in my area and they're all either full or put me on a waiting list that will take two years anyway.

Don't mind that - they all say that. Call to schools in person. Speak to the Principal or Vice Principal (ideally with both parents if you can) and tell them exactly why you want to leave.

If someone came to us from a school with the reputation of being full of dossers we would probably give the 'full' line too. Nobody wants someone else's trouble.

Make an impression. Show them you are not like the ones who have given your old school a name. Get letters from your present teachers to back you up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Spacedog

go to your local vocational school, place where they do post leaving cert courses and stuff, and ask them if you can be included in their 1 or 2 year repeat leaving cert courses. you'll need to explain your situation to them but make it clear you are want to do well, and you should be fine.

repeat courses cover the subjects from scratch, but involve a lot more study, especially for the 1 year repeat course.

SD.

@Spurious I think I'll actually give that a try. A lot of the teachers would give me a good review considering I don't harass them like some of the others :L

@Spacedog Would they let a 16 year old take those? I thought they were only for people who took the leaving cert and failed or didn't apply to a college ...

Spacedog's idea is a good one too.
    You would probably end up in much smaller classes, with all sorts of access programmes that would enhance your chances of college entry.

Many vocational schools also have a standard LC class.

• Advertisement

Does anyone know any websites for Vocational schools? I've been looking but I don't really know what they are so I'm not getting very far :o

Do a search for the name of your county and VEC. That will take you to your local county's main page. It will have a list of their schools and centres.

If you want further help, PM me your location.

Advertisement