Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

THE queen, THE DAY IRELAND SOLD OUT(20/05/11)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭guitarzero

Goldenegg wrote: »
    I'm sorry but you are the person in the wrong here. The likes of you are a minority now. People have moved on.

It might come as a shock for you to learn that alot of the countries youth have been forced to move over to the uk for employment and for a better life. It is the country who donated a hell of a lot of money towards our bail out.

While I do agree that what happened in the past was terrible, I don't agree living in it. The woman came, she saw, she interacted with the crowd and looked genuinely interested in our country. I for one am happy she came, I'm also happy Obama will be here too. It's about time our little island is on the news worldwide for something positive and not for the usual negative comments such as our lack of economy oh and our previous drunk slob of a Taoiseach!

I agree that we have to move on (somehow, clearly this is an issue that needs looked at, right?). I was for the most part pretty indifferent.

But you sound like you feel inferior being Irish. "Our little Island". Since when did the size of a country matter? Who's approval do we need? The Media's?? Never mind the media, if we hinge our image on the media then we are at the mercy of them.
    Our lack of economy is a very contentious issue and not neccesarily the peoples fault, maybe our trusting nature, and thats not something to be ashamed of.
    Obama, why do you care about this guy? He's still sending murderers to kill innocent people. He's behind this very suspicious situation of Osama's death and its media delivery. You actually know nothing about this man and yet you glorify him, bizzare.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭scorpioishere

Glory to the Queen. I wish the Brits take the republic.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,219 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

if it was the other way round are president would be wanted on war crimes but sure who cares they got the power

I applaud you sir, for not even bothering to write the Queen's English in a recognisable form.
    Hurrah.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Joe10000

The Germans killed half a million French during ze war and they seem to have moved on, any lesson there ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭jim69

best thing you can do is go back to west belfast and take all the chips off you shoulder and make a sandwich with them

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Here op, the only people who have sold the country out lately are Irish men. Church, ff, bank, etc. They have oppressed us and done more damage than the ER or the brits.

Also, how does her coming over not make us a free state?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Pauleta

Boards has been attracting a lot of republican wierdo's of late.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

Have to agree. I think you are a bigot, stuck in the past. This country is currently bollixed. Anything that will make us look good internationally, which could encourage tourism, and increase ties with our neighbours, is to be welcomed.

We cannot manage 26 counties, never mind 32. Move on. If you don't like what you see around you down here, then leave. You are in a minority, and that's where you should be, you are stuck in the past.

Get real.

As someone else commented, the Germans did far worse, but it's water under the bridge now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭R P McMurphy

guitarzero wrote: »
    Ah, ok, I'm not really on any band wagon here but shut up about this whole "move on" crap, really. Its not backward to begrugde her visit. Its not neccesarily progressive to support it.

People clearly feel disenfranchised about the 6 counties and our history, others not. What she and her visit symbolizes seems pretty varied across this country.

What do we actually know about the Queen? What does her life and words represent to you? What does Ireland and Nationalism mean to you?

This visit was the best litmus test with regards to nationalism and our view on history. When I say IRA one will say terrorist others will say freedom fighter. And this visit is the same crap. Drop the idea of Ireland, it means nothing. The factions are a testament. What you thought was Irish was in your mind. Your view on history only belongs to you. This is the sad, confusing reality for everyone.

We all want to be correct on this issue but it doesnt make it better. We are still divided. There are those looking down on our own people while giving reverence to monarchy, to elitism, to excess wealth. The 6 counties are still under british rule by what was force but do ALL Irish people care? Certainly not. Was monarchy involved in this? They certainly were. People have had their lives taken and marred by British Imperialism but do ALL Irish care? No. You can try and embed in their heads that what the British did was wrong but they "have moved on".

Of course, I'm sure many of those, if not the majority who say move on didnt really have to "move on". They have perhaps never been directly affected by the British Forces. They havent experienced it. And thats ok too.

What it means to be Irish is actually nothing. Everything is still about survival. Thats what the Irish were, a tribe who depended on eachother for survival. Then grew communities and eventually a country. But it was all out of survivial. Now survival means economy. So our allegences have switched to where the money goes, not what language you speak or flag on your passport or what tribe you were of.

To be Irish means different things to people. Many feel ashamed and inferior. Many feel passionate. But you cant expect people to empathize with you on what it is to be Irish. I can assure you if you proved the Queen was head of all operations to dismantle this country, many wouldnt give an F. If she were the head of the British army that has murdered so many innocent people, again, so what. If the all the rumours were true about Prince Philip people wouldnt bat an eyelid. Thats how people are.

With everything that has been written over the past few days this is by far the most sensible and accurate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 whatshappenin

Goldenegg wrote: »
    I'm sorry but you are the person in the wrong here. The likes of you are a minority now. People have moved on.

It might come as a shock for you to learn that alot of the countries youth have been forced to move over to the uk for employment and for a better life. It is the country who donated a hell of a lot of money towards our bail out.

While I do agree that what happened in the past was terrible, I don't agree living in it. The woman came, she saw, she interacted with the crowd and looked genuinely interested in our country. I for one am happy she came, I'm also happy Obama will be here too. It's about time our little island is on the news worldwide for something positive and not for the usual negative comments such as our lack of economy oh and our previous drunk slob of a Taoiseach!
    i might be a minority but this country needs people like me and if it didnt have people like me you would be giving out it didnt, so i really think you dont know what your talking about and if you think you do well thats another topic, listen this was a great wee country but its people like you that has it the way it is

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭myflipflops

i might be a minority but this country needs people like me and if it didnt have people like me you would be giving out it didnt, so i really think you dont know what your talking about and if you think you do well thats another topic, listen this was a great wee country but its people like you that has it the way it is

In what way does the country need people like you?

In fact, when you say 'people like me', how do you view yourself? Are you saying we NEED people who are anti-British? We NEED people who are in favour of a united, 32 country Repulic? Or we NEED people who are just bigoted?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭jim69

this country ? i thought you were from belfast ? the republic doesent need you.were doing ok without you.you dont speak for me or many more in the south,your a dinosaur

Glory to the Queen. I wish the Brits take the republic.
    HUN, even the queen does not want you, bit like the lot in the north

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭magicface1

Deir tú go bhfuil Gaeilge líofa agat. Bhuel, cad tá á rá agam anois? Stop ag caint cacamas agus bogadh ar aghaidh. Bhí sé in aghaidh na seachtaine iontach d'Éirinn agus a bhí léirithe uirlis mhargaíochta iontach mar pictiúir ar fud an domhain ..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭westies4ever

I'm from the north living in the south, saw a lot in my years living up there. Studied irish history so no I'm not stupid - I think it was a great week, time to build a bridge and get over it - or will we just go back to the dark oul days which solved nothing???

apart from anything else it was great to see ireland portrayed in a positive light in the international media and great to talk about something other than the bloody recession.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭sellerbarry

I'm from the north living in the south, saw a lot in my years living up there. Studied irish history so no I'm not stupid - I think it was a great week, time to build a bridge and get over it - or will we just go back to the dark oul days which solved nothing???

apart from anything else it was great to see ireland portrayed in a positive light in the international media and great to talk about something other than the bloody recession.

Couldn't agree more.
    And on the subject of saying sorry. When is the last time the Ira said sorry for all the bombs they planted.?

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭THEIRISHMOB

stop living in the past my hole, listen to what you are saying, so what happened to the years of fighting for a free ireland, turn round now and say ah sure it was great fun you had us for 800 hundred years, destroyed us took are language of us but its grand shes a great woman, what a lovely dress, what is ireland now??

"Free Ireland"
    what Ireland r u living in u idiot. we are free? free to do whatever we want?
    So what the **** r u talking about.
    I cant believe there are still idiots like u in this country.
    Get a life and start worrying about your own family and grow up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Pauleta wrote: »

whatshappenin registered early today and will be gone again in the next 24 hours I imagine and yet rational people bother engaging with him! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 901 ✭✭✭ChunkyLover_53

Pauleta wrote: »

They are the death cries of a mortally wounded animal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

yea to the queen traitor, like the rest, what about bloody sunday when the so called free state did nothing, maybe i am the past but you need to fecking know it, they screwed us for so long and if it was the other way round, they would be still fighting wit us

Well what Bloody Sunday are you talking about, please be more specific. Was it the Croke Park Bloody Sunday Massacre of 1920 or the Derry Bloody Sunday Massacre of 1972. If it was the 1920 Massacre the free state had already done something, prior to the reprisals by the British Forces Michael Collin's men had killed 14 members of the Cairo Gang (British forces). If it's the 1972 Bloody Sunday you're on about, well what could they do? Invade Northern Ireland and have to take on the British army? What is your brilliant idea for dealing with Bloody Sunday?

It really irritates me when people like yourself try to talk sense about our history, when you obviously have no clue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭conorcan2

OP, what values in your life are you pursuing that you think the Queen is preventing you from having, right now?

Get your priorities straight; if you aren't doing everything for your family, friends and local community to improve the quality of their lives then you're just giving yourself a false sense of purpose. It's easy to rant on about the Queen because it gives you a feeling of camaraderie with nationalists and gives you a sense of importance. The real problems of Ireland; drug addiction, homelessness, unemployment have nothing to do with the Queen - so if you love Ireland (notice the capital 'i') then prove it by making a real difference to living Irish people.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

shes gone now what did u do,NOTHING agian, u forget so easy as u always did and now again, free state my arse

Well I figure your on the side of " Don't let the Queen in"

So what did you do?

You made an arse of the country on live television with, agian an idiotic protest full of people who had no idea why there were there, just looking for a row.

And you, also, did and achieved nothing.

Every protest that happens in this country, be it against Orangemen, the British, Government or student fees is an absolute shambolic display of the Irish people, a joke on protests and absolute Youtube gold watching scumbags,nackers and dole quelchers gettin batons to the head.

Get...a ....grip..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I'm just disappointed she didn't surrender :p

RMD wrote: »
    Well what Bloody Sunday are you talking about, please be more specific. Was it the Croke Park Bloody Sunday Massacre of 1920 or the Derry Bloody Sunday Massacre of 1972. If it was the 1920 Massacre the free state had already done something, prior to the reprisals by the British Forces Michael Collin's men had killed 14 members of the Cairo Gang (British forces). If it's the 1972 Bloody Sunday you're on about, well what could they do? Invade Northern Ireland and have to take on the British army? What is your brilliant idea for dealing with Bloody Sunday?

It really irritates me when people like yourself try to talk sense about our history, when you obviously have no clue.
    no you have not a clue, ive been there and lost a lot of friends and family, dont tell me about history

no you have not a clue, ive been there and lost a lot of friends and family, dont tell me about history

how many? seriously i'm asking? the majority of people in the north know someone or are related to someone who died but I don't know anyone who lost 'lots' of friends/family. I think you're telling porkies and i think you're full of crap.

You havent made one educated or specific point yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭TheVoodoo

TBH, i think obvious troll is obvious.

To feed said troll, Ireland in no way 'sold out'. For Ireland to be progressive, and fully move on from some of its darkest times, the Queen's visit was essential, and I welcomed it.

how many? seriously i'm asking? the majority of people in the north know someone or are related to someone who died but I don't know anyone who lost 'lots' of friends/family. I think you're telling porkies and i think you're full of crap.

You havent made one educated or specific point yet.
    whatever you think
    ps your full of mad dogs ****e

whatever you think

and again - no coherent answer to a specific question - FULL OF CRAP!!!!

i will now stop feeding the troll.

and again - no coherent answer to a specific question - FULL OF CRAP!!!!

i will now stop feeding the troll.
    why would i need to tell someone like you who dont give a **** who i lost

• Advertisement

why would i need to tell someone like you who dont give a **** who i lost

I didnt ask who - I asked how many - and you started all this OP - put your money where your mouth is - you accuse us all of doing nothing but you can't some up with one reasonable or educated explanation for your silly rant. Grow up.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement