Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

kings of leon,dublin bus charging €25 to slane is a disgrace

• 21-05-2011 4:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭

dublin bus charging €25 to slane is a disgrace

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,474 ✭✭✭✭Victor

So, drive bus to Slane, sit around for a few hours, drive back from Slane. The cost will add up. The alternative is ~50,000 people drive and you have to arrive the previous night and park in Drogheda and walk 10km.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭ap1986

Victor wrote: »
    So, drive bus to Slane, sit around for a few hours, drive back from Slane. The cost will add up. The alternative is ~50,000 people drive and you have to arrive the previous night and park in Drogheda and walk 10km.
    your not from dublin so

No I'm not, but I'm not sure how that is relevant.

No I'm not, but I'm not sure how that is relevant.
    first i dont drive so i can only depend on a bus for transport out to slane but 25 euro is a bit steep

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

they are providing a service and can charge for it, it is allowing you to get there is it not?
    What would you do otherwise, what would it cost?

• Advertisement

they are providing a service and can charge for it, it is allowing you to get there is it not?
    What would you do otherwise, what would it cost?
    another thing i can bank on is that your not going to slane....ive forked out a small fortune for the ticket alone but to get there and back is another surplus for dublin bus,,,

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

ap1986 wrote: »
    another thing i can bank on is that your not going to slane....ive forked out a small fortune for the ticket alone but to get there and back is another surplus for dublin bus,,,

I've gone before and paid for it. Also, dublin bus operate at a loss I believe

I've gone before and paid for it. Also, dublin bus operate at a loss I believe
    a bus holds average 80 people at 25 euro...even if they did operate at a loss is it fair to sting the concert go-ers like myself,i go to slane oxegen and the rds year in and year out,is that fair on me?

Get a group together and organise you own bus.

OK, question, is this in Accessibility & Mobility & Disability for a reason?

of course it is fair enough i respect that the concert is been held in kildare and i have to travel to it in some shape or form but not for 25 euro

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 538 ✭✭✭cuppa

so how much is enough

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

first i dont drive so i can only depend on a bus for transport out to slane but 25 euro is a bit steep

€12.50 each way,and you are guaranteed to be brought back.

Having worked on Slane many times over the years I've always been amazed at how many concert goers are left stranded after the event by a wide variety of operators.

Every year I've worked Late Slane I've seen a last-sweep,often at 0300 and the bus filled with hapless individuals,usually without any tickets or notion of where they are,who they are or what they have been doing !!!

Putting a large scale Transport operation into effect for an event like Slane involves a whole heap of planning and operational input.....and it don't come cheap.

I'd be inclined to focus on the event myself,as if one starts off from such a negative perspective then things may disimprove as the day wears on ?? ;)

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

of course it is fair enough i respect that the concert is been held in kildare
    Eh, Slane is in Co Meath, near the Meath/Louth border.
    a bus holds average 80 people at 25 euro...even if they did operate at a loss is it fair to sting the concert go-ers like myself,i go to slane oxegen and the rds year in and year out,is that fair on me?

So you're happy to pay €400+ each year to MCD and some very wealthy artists, but expect the State to subsidise your transport to these entertainment events by operating at a loss!

Get real, my friend. If you spent a few minutes Googling instead of whinging, you'd have found bus tickets on Ticketmaster for €22.50, or http://www.bushiredublin.net/ for €18 or http://www.jjkavanagh.ie/en/slane-2011 for €23 (now sold out).

Really now, are you sure you're old enough to look after yourself for a day in Slane?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

Are you for real? Life ain't fair chief! Life lesson No. 1.
    If you think the combined price of a concert ticket and transport is too much, you're paying too much for the concert ticket! Take your beef up with the promoter. If you really can't afford the two, don't go. Mate of mine travels to Sonisphere every year and has to pay full price airline ticket each time.
    As for Dublin Bus, of course they will want to at least break even on a concert run or they could just do what they've done with commuter routes and nitelinks and simply not run them at all. What would you do then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

This seems reasonable to me.

ite reasonable to an extent but not 25 euros

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

If Dublin Bus need to charge €25 to make operating the service worthwhile, that is perfectly reasonable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

You could always drive out yourself and pay for parking...
    Or get a taxi out...
    Or hire a helicopter

amdublin wrote: »
    You could always drive out yourself and pay for parking...
    Or get a taxi out...
    Or hire a helicopter
    great thinkin..........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,647 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Yeah, why is this in A & D?? :confused:

• Advertisement

http://www.dublinbus.ie/en/Your-Journey1/Concerts/King-of-Leon/
    Kings of Leon at Slane
    Tuesday, January 11, 2011

The Kings of Leon at Slane Castle, Saturday 28th May 2011.

The buses will depart from Parnell Square West every 20 minutes from 12.00 noon until 5.00pm.

The return service will operate directly after the event.

Tickets purchased before the day will cost €20.00, tickets purchased on the day will cost €25.00.

Bus tickets can now be purchased from: -

• Dublin Bus, 59 Upper O’Connell Street
    • Sound Cellar, Nassau Street
    • Any *Ticketmaster outlet

*A service charge may apply

Advertisement