Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ArcGIS XY data

Options
  • 21-05-2011 8:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭

I am trying to add simple tabulated data to an ArcGIS 9.5 project. The table is in Excel 2007 format and includes 4 fields, 2 of which are labelled Easting and Northing.

I want to create a layer with a series of points from the X Y data.

Since Excel 2007 removed the ability to export as a dBASE file, I have opened up the file in OpenOffice which does allow me to save as a dBASE (.dbf) file.

However, when I try TOOLS>ADD XY DATA> and specify either of the files, ArcGIS will not recognise any columns for specifying the X and Y fields. The drop down list is empty and I cannot enter the fields manually.

Anyone know why? Thanks..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭YoureATowel

For a start ArcGIS can handle Excel files, ie you can add the Excel tables like any other data type. Double click on the XLS file name when attempting to add it, you will then have the option of adding it's constituent tables. It looks like you are adding unnecessary complications to your work.

The reason that you can't use the DIsplay XY Data feature correctly is because the fields, Easting and Northing in this case, are formatted as text instead of as numeric. Add the Excel table, right click on it in the Table of Contents and select Properties.

You will be given a summary of each field, its type , format etc. Your Easting and Northing fields will be of Type Text and thus unusable as input for the Display XY Data feature.

Remove the XLS Sheet, return to Excel and reopen the file there. Now select your Easting and Northing fields in turn and select Format Field. Set the fields to a numeric type and save.

Add the file again in ArcGIS and you should not have any problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭RollYerOwn

Thanks YAT

You were right about the fields being text from the ArcGIS properties dialogue box. Unfortunately they are already formatted as Number in the original Excel and dbf files - so I can't change it there.

Perhaps ArcGIS changes the format of the fields? Is there a way I can change the format from within ArcGIS?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭YoureATowel

First, it's best that the files are in dbf format. If you're using an XLS sheet then click on its name in the Table of Contents, select Data and then Export. Give it a name, say Data_Table.dbf, and click Yes at the add new table dialog.

The table Data_Table is now added to the ToC. Right click on it and select Open. Click on Options - Add Field. Input "X_New" for Name and Double for Type. A new field of type numeric is now added. Right click on the field name "X_New" in the table and select Field Calculator, ignore the warning by clicking Yes.

With the Type radio button set to Numeric, double click on the field name "X" in the Fields list. The calculation expression should now read X_New = [X]. Click OK.

The data from the field "X", of type String, is now added to the field "X_New", of type Numeric. Repeat this procedure with a new field called "Y_New". The Display XY Data feature will now work correctly

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭RollYerOwn

:D

Thanks YAT. Sorted.

Advertisement