Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weekend Noise

Options
  • 21-05-2011 10:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭

Was abruptly woken up this morning (Saturday) at half 9 by my neighbour tearing up his patio with some kind of angle grinder type thing. It looks like its going to take some time :( (my whole washing line, incidentally, is also now covered in patio dust :mad:)

I know its not 7am or anything, but arent there any type of noise restriction rules for housing estates that allow people to have a bit of a lie-on at the weekend?! Do the same rules apply for Saturdays and Sundays?

Yes it doesnt happen every week or anything but I still thought it was a little bit inconsiderate....(though I'm sure I'm opening up a whole can of worms here about how people are entitled to do things like that at weekends, this is just my personal opinion ;) !!!!!!)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41,066 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

eleMental wrote: »
    Was abruptly woken up this morning (Saturday) at half 9 by my neighbour tearing up his patio with some kind of angle grinder type thing. It looks like its going to take some time :( (my whole washing line, incidentally, is also now covered in patio dust :mad:)

I know its not 7am or anything, but arent there any type of noise restriction rules for housing estates that allow people to have a bit of a lie-on at the weekend?! Do the same rules apply for Saturdays and Sundays?

Yes it doesnt happen every week or anything but I still thought it was a little bit inconsiderate....(though I'm sure I'm opening up a whole can of worms here about how people are entitled to do things like that at weekends, this is just my personal opinion ;) !!!!!!)

In some ways, I think you've answered your own question in saying that it's not 7am. Half nine is a well established hour of the morning! It sucks to be woken though and I feel a similar contempt towards those houses alarms that go off all through the night. I think the law (noise pollution law or whatever) states that anything before 8am is unacceptable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Plastik

It could be worse, you could be constantly be woken up by golf course traffic - both engine noise and foooooorrrrrreeee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

9.30 isn't early, lazy arse and you shouldn't be leaving your washing out over night :p

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭dr ro

now that you mention it, there Should be some sort of legal entitlement to a lie on on Saturday mornings. And Sundays. And the other days for shift workers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭cavemeister

9.30 is perfectly acceptable.

Try living in Australia where workers start working at 7am (inc. saturdays) Was living next door to a house that was being renovated and grinders and drills would start at 7am on the dot..... Totally legal too!!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭eleMental

okay, thanks all. appreciate the feedback, i guess i was just being unreasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

Johnnymcg wrote: »

You'll also find that the Noise Pollution Regulation covers:

Noise such as that coming from other homes, workshops or local businesses that is continuous, repeated, loud and occurring at such times and of such duration that it affects the quality of life of the person is covered in Irish law.

Seeing as this is a once off it's not applicable.

Would have been nice if they dropped in to let you know what they were going to do though.

Advertisement