Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Rav4 d4d

Options
  • 21-05-2011 10:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭

Garage fitted recon turbo to 02 rav4 2.0 d4d. However, when the engine is hot, it sometimes will not start until it cools. Sounds as if the battery is down but it actually is perfect. Also, the engine seems to be "missing" (1)on tick over and (2) when just cruising at any speed until the throttle is opened as the engine then becomes very smooth and powerful. Further, it has used half a tank of fuel in 100 miles. There is lots of white smoke until the car warms up. Lastly, the engine sounds very clattery at low revs when throttle is opened or when it's laboured. Any advise/suggestions/experience in this matter please?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

what way are the injectors? they can be troublesome on these.

When you say it sounds like the battery is down, do you mean the starter motor is very slow at turning, or that it takes ages to start?

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭westwicklow

colm_mcm wrote: »

When you say it sounds like the battery is down, do you mean the starter motor is very slow at turning, or that it takes ages to start?

Thanks colm mcm.

Yeh, the starter spins very slowly and just doesn't have the kick to fire up the engine and it won't start until it cools down, starts no bother then.

colm_mcm wrote: »

Right again.... checked it out, 2 injectors in trouble. Therein lies the answer.

Thanks colm_mcm!!

New turbo fitted.... 4 injectors done and coded by maindealer Toyota, no faults on Toyota diagnostics but engine still feels lumpy on tickover, pulls well on acceleration and doesn't want to start when warm. Any ideas (help!!) please?

Did they say fuel pressure was ok when warm?

• Advertisement

Have they given the starter the ok?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭PADRAIC.M

Yeah +1 on the starter, seen some d4d not start when starting rpm off by 5 rpm- worth getting it checked

Starter Ok, checking fuel pressure again tomorrow. I'm a bit worried that it may be a piston crack.... hope not!!

To date, a replacement engine has been fitted, we're on the third turbo charger, four airflow meters, injector drivers, toyota maindealer diagnostics say all is ok but Rav remains totally underpowered but improves when the airflow meter is disconnected. Fourteen weeks in the garage.... any suggestions please?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭PADRAIC.M

Which garage is it in? the reason it improves is because the ecu uses default data (limp home) when you unplug it,

• Advertisement

I'd rather not say much more than that it's in Kildare county PADRAIC.M..

Toyota mechanic has checked the ECU and it is OK. The situation has been posted on Toyota's technical forum but no luck with replies to date.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Mar4ix

Not sure how many temperature sensors are on this engine, worth a look on them, some cars i know have two or more temperature sensors, there is separate sensors for dash gauge and sensor for ecu, and i presume that sensor for ecu need closely checked... my idea is .... - that temperature sensor stuck on cold position (ecu thinks engine is cold), and it gives more diesel, and when you are trying start hot/warm engine, it getting hardly overfuelled, and it is reason why wont start. Here we go... smoke - it over bad mixture - too much diesel in inlet manifold mixing with air (too rich) and very low mpg .... (cold engine takes more fuel to heat up)

Just my 2 cents, as i haven't work with those engines, just experience from other cars.

Good luck, let us know how you getting on.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

I wonder is the engined timed up correctly? Have you ever had it checked?

Thanks for the advise.

The garage just rang to say it has been in with them so long that the "fuel pump valves" have ceased up and Toyota stores are waiting to have them imported. This may take a further number of weeks.

Patience wearing out now.......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Mar4ix

Thanks for the advise.

The garage just rang to say it has been in with them so long that the "fuel pump valves" have ceased up and Toyota stores are waiting to have them imported. This may take a further number of weeks.

Patience wearing out now.......

why wouldnt find used one ? all these new parts i believe cost unfortunate expensive .

Yep, all parts to date as specified and requested by the garage are paid on my VISA card

oh oh... Garage rang today. Need to fit another new turbocharger!

Fairly messy this!!!!

Advertisement