Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New landlord dilemma

Options
  • 21-05-2011 11:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭

Myself and the OH signed a lease to an apartment last week. We arranged with the landlord to give him our landlord reference when we receive it off our current landlord when we leave. We also arranged for the 1st months rent (deposit paid by cash already and receipted on the lease) to go into his account on on the date we leave our current apartment, which happens to fall on weekend so the money would go into his account the following Monday.

We had arranged to collect the keys a few days before we moved into the apartment.

Now he says he wants the money in his account and the reference before he gives us the keys.

Is this right? Is this common practice?

Any replies appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I wouldn't give you keys before a reference and all monies are paid upfront

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Monife

godtabh wrote: »
    I wouldn't give you keys before a reference and all monies are paid upfront

Thanks for that. Just wanted to know if it is common (thought he was trying to change the goalposts). This is only my 2nd time renting.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭not even wrong

Monife wrote: »
    Now he says he wants the money in his account and the reference before he gives us the keys.

Is this right? Is this common practice?
    It is usual practice is to supply the landlord reference in advance, so the landlord has the opportunity to check it out. But paying deposit/first month's rent is not standard -- usually there is a meeting at the apartment at which you sign the lease, get handed the keys, pay your deposit/first month's rent and take possession of the apartment -- all at the same time.

I would not sign a lease or pay deposit/first month's rent in advance of taking possession of the apartment. (with the exception of a refundable holding deposit)

Advertisement