Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Areas where 50/100 Mb packages are unavailable & proposed availablity

Options
  • 21-05-2011 11:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,582 ✭✭✭✭

Hi

Just wanted to start this thread for us unlucky UPC customers where the 50/100Mb packages are not available and if anyone can get information on when the area infrastructure will be in place for us to sign up to these packages. So far from checking their website I've found this map of areas upgraded and areas where proposed upgrades are supposed to take place, this looks like its from last year.

http://www.upc.ie/media/2011/1/13/2011BuildPlanV13.png

Areas Unavailable...............Estimated Date for service Rollout
    Lucan South.....................Spoke to Sales No roll out until 2012 :(
    Stepaside.........................TBA
    Raheny (Foxfield Park)........TBA
    Waterford........................TBA

Also I suggest we post any information that we might get from phoning/emailing upc on when they expect your area to be upgraded.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Qwikpix

I understand that the Foxfield Park area of Raheny cannot get phone / broadband service from UPC yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,582 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Rang sales there spoke to a sales guy that we will be waiting until sometime next year for this in Lucan South, which is terrible news :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭shinzon

not available in waterford, have asked numerous times on UPC's twitter page get the standard we'll get back to you which they never do, so have given up banging my head against a brick wall

30 meg will do me and ill get 50 or 100 whenever

shin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭deravarra

Available in Mullingar :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭ArthurG

Which colour indicates that 50/100 is available?. Green (ED 3.0?).

• Advertisement

ArthurG wrote: »
    Which colour indicates that 50/100 is available?. Green (ED 3.0?).
    Yep. ED 3.0 stand for EuroDOCSIS 3.0 AFAIK, it's the type of cable.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DOCSIS

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Yep. ED 3.0 stand for EuroDOCSIS 3.0 AFAIK, it's the type of cable.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DOCSIS
    Eurodocsis is not directly related to the cable as such, but UPC it appears need to replace the cable to allow higher frequencies/capacity, which are then used by ED3 on top of the existing broadband frequencies to provide 100 mbps. If they didn't have analogue channels for example, they could use ED3 on existing 550 MHz cable or whatever lower limit the older network uses.

Eurodocsis is not directly related to the cable as such, but UPC it appears need to replace the cable to allow higher frequencies/capacity, which are then used by ED3 on top of the existing broadband frequencies to provide 100 mbps.
    Okey dokey, thanks for that ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,566 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

I'm assuming that the proposed areas for 2011 (yellow areas) will be getting ED3? Well more concerned that bray gets it, i need 100mbps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭ArthurG

Lucan Village is shown as green (i.e. upgraded) and indeed they only did this work in the last few months - broadband became available in April.

However when I rang to ask about faster speeds (I was interested in the 25 meg package from the 20 which I initially signed up to) I was informed that faster speeds (50 meg) are not yet available there. This would seem to contradict the view that green areas are enabled for 100 meg - am I misunderstanding this?.

• Advertisement

ArthurG wrote: »
    Lucan Village is shown as green (i.e. upgraded) and indeed they only did this work in the last few months - broadband became available in April.

However when I rang to ask about faster speeds (I was interested in the 25 meg package from the 20 which I initially signed up to) I was informed that faster speeds (50 meg) are not yet available there. This would seem to contradict the view that green areas are enabled for 100 meg - am I misunderstanding this?.

Might be worth ringing tech support and clarifying it with them reference the map on their website and see what they say, the guy u rang might be classing you as part of Lucan south.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Rob_T

Is there any plan for future roll out to the areas in white from Carysfort to Cabinteely?

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭kaahooters

anyone know if there planing on expanding in balbriggan?

kaahooters wrote: »
    anyone know if there planing on expanding in balbriggan?

Best bet is to ring them and ask for sales give them your area and say you want to get their 50/100 meg packages and ask when it will be available in your area? Sales guys are pretty quick to advise when it will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭daingeanrob

50 mb available in sligo town.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,336 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Might be worth ringing tech support and clarifying it with them reference the map on their website and see what they say, the guy u rang might be classing you as part of Lucan south.

I had rang sales about getting the upgrade in Lucan south and was told it was unavailable. Then I just happened to do the online order which was accepted and the new ear was sent out and hey presto - 50Mb up and working...

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭mick-fitz8585

Im living in tallaght village and cant get phone or 50/100mb broadband and customer service says they havent a clue when il be getting it either :(

I had rang sales about getting the upgrade in Lucan south and was told it was unavailable. Then I just happened to do the online order which was accepted and the new ear was sent out and hey presto - 50Mb up and working...

Do you mind me asking where in Lucan are you based? Are you anywhere near Finnstown? Might be worth my while ordering online

• Registered Users Posts: 14,336 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Do you mind me asking where in Lucan are you based? Are you anywhere near Finnstown? Might be worth my while ordering online
    Griffeen road area

• Registered Users Posts: 25,417 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Does that map posted by the OP actually have any relevance to the availability of 50/100 Mb broadband? Did anyone in UPC tell anyone that a specific colour shade was required where you live in order to get 50/100 Mb?

I'm just wondering because I'm seeing conflicting posts in this thread, the OP more or less implied that you needed to be in an upgraded (i.e. non-white) area to get 50/100 but I'm seeing posts from people who live in green areas who say they can't get 50/100 yet.

I live in the white area between Carysfort and Cabinteely, I have SD TV and 20 Mb broadband but there is no HD or voice availability, I haven't asked them about 50/100 Mb.

So could someone please clarify what the colours in the map mean in the context of 50/100 BB only please.

• Advertisement

As I said on the original post the map was last updated in 2010, I've asked UPC to provide an updated map, but so far no joy via email, phone and twitter, so not sure about other areas but the lucan one is fairly accurate in relation upgrading infrastructure, which would support the 50/100Mb packages. You should ring them and report back if your area has the option to upgrade to these packages.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,417 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

As I said on the original post the map was last updated in 2010, I've asked UPC to provide an updated map, but so far no joy via email, phone and twitter, so not sure about other areas but the lucan one is fairly accurate in relation upgrading infrastructure, which would support the 50/100Mb packages. You should ring them and report back if your area has the option to upgrade to these packages.

I entered my address (I live in a white area) and it says that I can get Broadband with no qualification as to speed, I already have UPC 20 Mb BB and SD TV. I cannot get HD or Voice and the website today is affirming this status.

Are you making the assumption that you need to be in an upgraded (green) area in order to get 50/100? If so, what is the basis for this assumption?

Advertisement