Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fair City season 1 1989

• 21-05-2011 11:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭

I wonder does Season one of Fair city still excist of did RTE tape over it? If it still excists i wish they would show it some summer. Tg4 showed season one of ros na run from 1996 last summer.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Moving to Soaps forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

UTV showed old eps a few years ago so I presume they are still available.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

I suggested to RTE before that they should start reshowing old episodes of Fair City maybe during the day, go for Episode 1, right up to today...

Would love if they did that...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Those early years were pretty awful but it would be funny - for a while!

Starting with:

Johnny One, Jack Flynn, Paddy Clark, Ann Clark, Linda O'Hanlon, Hughie Phelan, Helen Doyle, Jimmy Doyle, Kay McCoy, Eunice Phelan, Harry "ya wha" Molly, Hannah Finnegan, Mags Kelly, Rita Doyle.

Laterly:

Dr. Jack Shanahan, Billy Mehan, Terrence wotshisname, Pascal Mulvey, Donal Maher, Nicola Brennan, Mondo O'Connell, Sylvester Garrigan, Det. Myles Byrne, Malachy Costello, Robin Doyle

Some good charachters.
    Some awful charachters
    some good actors
    some unintentionally hillarious actors!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

I have no doubt they still exist. UTV will have copies anyway as in 1991 they commenced broadcasting it from the start.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

That's be a nice little earner for them, a series in a boxset every christmas!

SarahBeep! wrote: »

Can't see RTE doing it. They don't exactly like promoting their archive. They should do a deal with Network and let them release it.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 adamabyss

What was the name of the young blonde girl from the posh family that Johnny One fancied?

adamabyss wrote: »
    What was the name of the young blonde girl from the posh family that Johnny One fancied?

Claire Bowen.

Brother Tom.

They also had an obnoxious sea dog of a grandfather.

Mother was a Doctor. Same actress also played the part of Seamus Mannion's wife..

• Registered Users Posts: 41 adamabyss

Thanks, that character seemed to die a death and the actress never worked again according to all available information.

How did they kill her off in the series?

• Advertisement

adamabyss wrote: »
    Thanks, that character seemed to die a death and the actress never worked again according to all available information.

How did they kill her off in the series?

Family moved to a different location as far as I remember. Back in the day it was one episode a week so they gradually faded away. Think the grandfather might have stayed on for a bit. Tom Bowen used to hang around with Helen Doyle for a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Would I be correct that the actress playing the current doctor (Dillon?) used to originally play Molloy's wife Dolores before the current actress took over that role? I remember her being in the show before. She was also on Eat the Peach (1986 movie) which I saw recently again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭unitedrover

ongarboy wrote: »
    Would I be correct that the actress playing the current doctor (Dillon?) used to originally play Molloy's wife Dolores before the current actress took over that role? I remember her being in the show before. She was also on Eat the Peach (1986 movie) which I saw recently again.

Remember her from Upwardly Mobile

ongarboy wrote: »

Yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭wayfarers

nlgbbbblth wrote: »
    Can't see RTE doing it. They don't exactly like promoting their archive. They should do a deal with Network and let them release it.

I'm sure there would be a demand for plenty of RTE archive stuff, they'd make a packet on boxsets if only to tap into the nostalgia market. They repeat plenty of non home produced stuff often enough. Fair City, a load of old "Late Late Toy Shows".

• Site Banned Posts: 4,066 ✭✭✭Silvio.Dante

I still have the nightmares. Ddin't her brother-in-law in that show die a few years back..?

What was the name of the lady who was a kind of foster mother to Johnny One. A real 'Dublin Matriarchal character'. I remember she always looked up to Barry O'Hanlon..:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭splashthecash

Dear....God....Why????

Let it burn in the depths of hell whenst I came from

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,782 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

What was the name of the lady who was a kind of foster mother to Johnny One. A real 'Dublin Matriarchal character'. I remember she always looked up to Barry O'Hanlon..:)
    Lily.

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Lily.

Thank you...:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

SarahBeep! wrote: »

What kind of saddo would want to buy a Fair City boxset?.

I'd consider it...

Hey Jimmy. F*ck you!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,782 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

I still have the nightmares. Ddin't her brother-in-law in that show die a few years back..?
    Was that guy her brother in law??
    I remember he got a full IRA funeral, he was mixed up with some real shady characters.

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Was that guy her brother in law??
    I remember he got a full IRA funeral, he was mixed up with some real shady characters.

Their characters were brother in law/sister in law. His brother was her husband as I remmeber it. Yeah I think he has dissident connections...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

Me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,199 ✭✭✭jos28

The director of programming was interviewed on radio during the week about the cuts made to the daytime schedule. Basically RTE don't have the money to make live programmes. They don't seem to realise that audiences would love to see re-runs from their archives. I'd love to see FC from the beginning, a cheap way to fill their daytime schedule.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,392 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

It would make much more sense and permit a bit of perspective on the recent past both in relation to civil society and the quality of RTE productions to see them repeating Glenroe, FAir City etc from episode 1 than buying in recently aired British programming which won't attract significant audiences. I guess it's either lack of imagination or costly rights acquisitions which hold them back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭deelite

Off topic but what were the name of the actors who played the twins?

• Advertisement

Marcusm wrote: »
    It would make much more sense and permit a bit of perspective on the recent past both in relation to civil society and the quality of RTE productions to see them repeating Glenroe, FAir City etc from episode 1 than buying in recently aired British programming which won't attract significant audiences. I guess it's either lack of imagination or costly rights acquisitions which hold them back.

Lack of imagination.

Their TV50 Facebook page often shows some photos from archive programmes. If you raise the subject of DVD releases (by RTE or asking them to sell the rights to the likes of www.networkdvd.net) then your comment gets deleted.

They don't seem to care.

Advertisement