Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCU: M.Sc. in Electronic Commerce (Business)

• 21-05-2011 12:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 265 ✭✭

Hi,

I am wondering if anyone has any insight into the M.Sc. in Electronic Commerce (Business) course in DCU?

http://www.dcu.ie/prospective/deginfo.php?classname=MECB&originating_school=

On paper it looks like the perfect Postgrad degree for me considering I have a Business degree and I am very interested in e-comm.

Does anyone has any real world feedback on the course:
    • Average class size
    • Average number of hours every week
    • General difficulity of the modules
    • DCU business school in general (and how it compares to Smurfit)
    Its 'only' €2500 for the course which is significantly cheaper than my other options in DCU and Smurfit, so I am leaning heavily towards it at the minute. (it would also be very convenient for me to travel to it every day - unlike Smurfit).

I would be looking to do the one year full time course.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 335 ✭✭graduate

ts 'only' €2500 for the course which is significantly cheaper than my other options in DCU and Smurfit,

This course is funded by the HEA Advanced Skills programme and should be €2750 in 2011-2012, the exact same as the MSc in iBusiness and the MSc in Business Analytics in Smurfit which are also in the HEA scheme.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 265 ✭✭DRose1

graduate wrote: »
    This course is funded by the HEA Advanced Skills programme and should be €2750 in 2011-2012, the exact same as the MSc in iBusiness and the MSc in Business Analytics in Smurfit which are also in the HEA scheme.
    Thanks.

The iBusiness course in UCD is on my list as well. However, the 2 main concerns I have about that course is that the description is very vague (unlike in DCU) and I dont want to enter a course which could end up being a complete waste of time and money. The other main issue is that to travel to Blackrock would take about 2 hours twice a day... unlike DCU which would be about 40 minutes twice a day.

Any further advice on the DCU course I listed above and the UCD iBusiness course would be appreciated.

Another question if anyone has any idea...

With the above MSc from DCU would I be able to teach computers ad/or business organisation at secondary schools/colleges?

If not, what extra course would I have to do on top of this?

Thanks.

Bump:

Anyone any advice on the above?

Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Any of your questions answered here, here or here?

• Advertisement

Bluetonic wrote: »
    Any of your questions answered here, here or here?
    Thanks for the links. Some good information in them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Green Lantern

DRose1 wrote: »
    Thanks.

The iBusiness course in UCD is on my list as well. However, the 2 main concerns I have about that course is that the description is very vague (unlike in DCU) and I dont want to enter a course which could end up being a complete waste of time and money. The other main issue is that to travel to Blackrock would take about 2 hours twice a day... unlike DCU which would be about 40 minutes twice a day.

Any further advice on the DCU course I listed above and the UCD iBusiness course would be appreciated.

As a former student of the MECB at DCU I would seriously caution you against doing the course. I enrolled in it as the fees were heavily subsidised by the HEA and I really regret that decision. If you were to choose between UCD and the MECB I would definitely go with UCD.

While some of the business elements of the programme were quite good there were two really awful components of it. The first of these was Next Generation Management, which is compulsory and counts for 20 out of 90 credits. The 2nd is Strategic Thinking in the Information Age, which thankfully can be avoided and should be at all costs. There are a number of masters programmes in e-commerce and I would urge you and anyone else looking to do a masters in e-commerce to look at your options and avoid this course. It really is a waste of time and money.

While I received an honours result in the MECB, I managed to secure employment in spite of it, not because of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

I enrolled in it as the fees were heavily subsidised by the HEA and I really regret that decision.
    There in lies your problem, you chose a course based on cost and not content. I would say that's not the smartest thing in the world, agreed? I would imagine that you are forming the rest of your opinion based on staff personalities.

With regards to graduating with a honour, I would say that considering everyone taking the course is already educated to degree level, that one is pretty much guaranteed a honour with the smallest amount of work.

To the OP I would say that in any sector of life you will always find a few cranks, the most important thing is to dig a little deeper and find out their motivations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37 holla

Pretty much have the same dilemma as yourself in picking a masters

did you go DCU or Smurfit in the end? How is it going for you?

holla wrote: »
    Pretty much have the same dilemma as yourself in picking a masters

did you go DCU or Smurfit in the end? How is it going for you?
    Hi,

I got accepted into the DCU course, but I decided to defer for the year. (I paid the €500 deposit and didnt get it back)

I am not 100% sure if I will do the course for the upcoming academic year; the main reason is that I am currently doing a few computer courses and finding them fairly easy so far (always been good with computers, but it was not my primary degree and hence have no certifications/qualifications), so I am not sure the computers side of the course in discussion would be of any use to me (I am already competent or better at most of the business modules).

My goal is to either work for myself (set up online business etc, which I have done in the past already) or to work for a company like Google.

I plan to do some extensive research over the next few months to make sure I make the most informed decision possible; I don't want to attend a course for a year, work hard and then be left with a relatively useless piece of paper in my hand (not saying the course above is, just a general comment about some masters programmes)

What is your line of thinking at the minute?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 128 ✭✭TomKat

I'm currently doing the one in DCU, hit me?

TomKat wrote: »
    Hi TomKat,

I am just on the way out for the day now. Ill send you a PM tonight or tomorrow morning.

Thanks.

TomKat wrote: »
    PM sent.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 schmee90

Hello,

Looking at doing this course in September just wondering can anyone shed any light on it?

How they got on?

Are you working in the area/find a job after?

Any info greatly appreciated.

Advertisement