Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What phone to get?

Options
  • 21-05-2011 1:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29

I want an iPhone. However, they are quite expensive, and I'm fearful that there are equivalent phones out there but for cheaper due to them not having the APPLE brandname...... If I do get an iPhone I'm thinking I'll go with Three because of their unlimited internet. I assume their 24 month deal is the best deal out there at the moment for the iPhone? I've had a loan for 4 years and a credit card for 3 and always paid on time so am assuming/hoping if I do decide to opt for this, I will be approved.

The other phones that caught my eye are the HTC Desire & Samsung Galaxy. Are these just as good? Ìdeally, I woudln't awnt a bill phone at all but I don't have the money to pay outright €400+ for prepays.

I'm female. Mid 20s. Would use phone mostly for texting and internet but I like all the wee apps too.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 f1shfingers

Thanks Captain for your response.

Regarding minutes/texts I use, I have no idea. I don't really make that many phonecalls but generally send a LOT of texts, but have just discovered this WhatsApp app, so may not spend that much on texts if I can recruit more people into using it :P

You are right. I probably don't need a top of the range phone. To be honest, 4/5 people on my staff at work have an iPhone and everyone who has one says 'Oh I dont know how I did without it before' so I guess I want part of the attraction! Then again, it could be an expensive attraction!! Also, the 24 month contract could work out to be quite expensive, especially when they change their data charges [it won't be unlimited forvever].

It's just so hard to know what phone to pick, as I'm checking all the network providers as there can often be a vast difference with prices, and although I'm PAYG with Meteor at the moment, I would have no problem moving. Sigh. My brain is fried!!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

This is a lot of phone for ~200. I'm thinking about getting one myself, just to try out. It's sim free so there's no commitment to any contract. If you don't like it you could just sell it on for not much of a loss.

I'm currently thinking of doing the same as I need something reliable for the next few months.

This is a lot of phone for ~200. I'm thinking about getting one myself, just to try out. It's sim free so there's no commitment to any contract. If you don't like it you could just sell it on for not much of a loss.

I'm currently thinking of doing the same as I need something reliable for the next few months.
    What phone is it? :P

• Advertisement

I've currently got a Nokia 5800 Xpress Music. Bought this Jan '10 for €150 as I got it on eBay, but missed the initial excitement of buying a new phone [such a woman I know] so want a NEW one this time. Dont know anyone in the UK at the moment, and wont be going over til August and have a bee in my bonnet about getting a new phone NOWWWWW....

Also, was looking at Carphone Warehouse site, they take trade ins? Apparently for a Nokia 5800 they'll give you €70 off? Thats really good!! Now, any idea how to get all my pictures/numbers off my phone? Would like to save texts too but thats 3rd on my list. I lost my wee usb connector so may have to sacrifice the photos. How do I save contacts on the sim card? My mum has an old Sony E Satio lying around. Fully works. They don't give a trade in price for those phones though. Wonder would I get around 70quid also?

I'm swaying towards this one. Looks lovely :)

http://www.carphonewarehouse.ie/Product/strong-Samsung-strong-Galaxy-S-Black-8GB/238067/1_1

Especially if I can get 70quid off! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

Thats a lol damn good offer lol.

You could get that and opt out for 30 day contract or stay on PAYG

Carphone should be doing this free on O2 Advance 250 + a free phone up to 80 quid.

Though Galaxy S has its fair share or problems. And poor Samsung support.

• Advertisement

Thats a lol damn good offer lol.

You could get that and opt out for 30 day contract or stay on PAYG

Carphone should be doing this free on O2 Advance 250 + a free phone up to 80 quid.

Though Galaxy S has its fair share or problems. And poor Samsung support.

Whats with the "lols"????

Whats with the "lols"????

What am i not alowed to LOL? :D

What am i not alowed to LOL? :D

Haha, just trying to see if you're being sarcastic! Thinking of taking the plunge on that phone today! Sorry for taking this OT...

Looks like a good phone [although what do I really know!] but I don't really like the look of it. Bit manish for me I think. Likin the look of that Samsung one, although I've never owned a Samsung before and am a stickler for change :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭daz801

I would recommend the htc wildfire. it's a great phone with all the features you need (wifi, 3g, 5mp camera with flash) and as it's android you have an endless supply of apps. If you go with 3 pay as you go, by topping up by twenty euro a month you get 3000 free texts, 3000 minutes of calls at the weekend and google for free including google maps. Then you can use 5 euro of your credit to get a 500mb internet package for a month which would well last you for using the internet when out and about.

http://www.three.ie/shop/products/htc-wildfire-graphite-classic-max.html

Haha, just trying to see if you're being sarcastic! Thinking of taking the plunge on that phone today! Sorry for taking this OT...

THE LG Optimus 7 is a great phone. Its not the most stylish in my opinion. But it has one big advantages over Omnia 7 and HD7 :)

Hardware buttons (its really annoying when you hit the capacitive search button) and High Performance 16GB NAND storage. Also with a smaller screen it has great PPI (pixels per inch).

Also it has LG's DLNA app so you can steam movies,music to TV/PC via WiFi.

Tbh i dont see the point of getting likes of Wildfire or Ace or OSF is this is available at this low price for a high end phone that will run all apps instead of just some.

Also since Microsoft is providing updates itsself that means it will recieve updates for longer. As where low end phones tend to get 1 or 2 updates and then get EOL.

My brother and sister both have the Wildfire........Nice enough phone. But I don't like having the same as others :P But we'll see.

Wildfire is a good phone. But the screen on it is horrible. The new one is a good improvement.
    But as I said if you can get the optimus for the same money its far superior value as optimus is a high end phone where wildfire is between low and mid end phones.
    The problem is its screen resolution which is very low and most apps in android market are made for higher resolution. So you will never get all the good stuff. Games will lag as well as the phone if you will want to multi task or open a web page with lots of content.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Q&A

What about the Desire S?

I'm giving it a lot of thought and like other have posted combining it with three's prepay data add-on. Had a look on ebay and its a lot cheaper than buying it off a phone company here plus unlocked.

• Advertisement

nothing wrong with it :) its a good phone and will run everything that's out there at the moment. HTC got a good few awards for the original desire including the phone of the year so desire is a small upgrade to it.

Advertisement