Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fibre Broadband in Meath -what happened?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

That was just the metropolitan area network idea. They've been built in towns around Ireland a few years ago. They achieved little except helped the mobile phone companies to link up base stations to national fibre optic cable routes and also for the likes of Digiweb and BT Ireland. The odd county council also got use out of them for linking offices together etc.

They're all managed by a crowd called e-net. They don't offer straightforward internet connections to end users.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

afaik, if you live in navan and have upc broadband they use the MAN to provide their fibre power broadband to the area, so it's likely to be the same elsewhere too.

at least that's what i was told the last time i asked about it.

if you drive into navan on the n3, there's still a sign up for it at the side of the road saying how they planned to have it finished by summer 2007 or something, even tho it was autumn 2009 before they actually got it sorted.

(screengrab from a video, so not great quality)

meathBB.jpg

i actually spoke to people from the meath bb project about it and they put me on to industria who were involved in it during the testing phase.

Advertisement