Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help my useless memory out - What carrier?

• 21-05-2011 3:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,170 ✭✭✭✭

Hey all,

Was on a british carrier while she was docked in Dublin a few years ago. Not sure how many, 4/5 I think. It was without its airwing and was giving private tours, one of which I very luckily was on.

Thing is I cant remember the name of her. The HMS Illustrious sorta rings a bell, and google images of her fits with my memory(specifically the placement of the two defence guns. But it could have been either of the two invincible class carriers though.

Anyone know which carrier was here around then?
    Thanks,
    LB.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,170 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Never mind, shoulda googled:rolleyes:

Was the Illustrious.
    The Irish Times

Ireland Thu, Feb 24, 05

Four-day visit by British aircraft carrier
    Tim O'Brien

HMS Illustrious, a British Royal Navy aircraft carrier, will arrive in Dublin Port for a courtesy visit this morning.

The ship, the second of three Invincible class aircraft carriers and the fifth ship to bear the name Illustrious, will remain in the port for the weekend, playing host to groups of schoolchildren from Dublin and Belfast.

Fresh from a two-year refit, the ship is about to undergo an extensive period of sea trials and exercises as she prepares to become the flagship of the British fleet.

Security measures in Dublin Port have been increased for the visit, monitored by the British embassy.

The embassy told The Irish Times that the visit reflected a warming of relations between Ireland and Britain.

During the four-day visit, children from the Shankill/Shankill project, a grouping of schoolchildren from Bray, Co Wicklow, which is close to Shankill, Co Dublin, and Skankill in Belfast, will visit the ship.

Other schools involved are Rutland Street Primary School in Dublin and St Columba's College, Rathfarnham. Patients of the National Children's Hospital will also attend.

Further details on the Illustrious are available on www.royal-navy.mod.uk

© The Irish Times

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

The HMS Ocean was here in 2006 but it's an assault carrier, only choppers no Harrier ability because it has no ski ramp.

Advertisement