Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Potential Stormy Conditions 21st-23rd May

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Gust up to 91.8km/hr at my local station, I'm 100m above it and in a more exposed location so probably over 100km/hr now, impressive considering I'm about 30km from the coast. A few branches snapped but the trees are still standing in the garden

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Can everyone state their location, if it isn't mentioned in their profile, otherwise the reports are meaningless.

It's the unbroken sunshine that makes this so odd. It's now a beautiful day except for the 50 mph wind !.

Some nice live data here for those in the West. The wind is shifting from SW to W

http://www.orbitalwinds.com/weather-live.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Kur4mA

It's been mental out here in Blanch, Dublin 15 for the past 3 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Heard on the radio that there are lots of powercuts around Co.Donegal and also telephone lines down. There was a 40 foot lorry blocking a road in Doochary. Not sure what happened with that.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

Discodog wrote: »
    Can everyone state their location, if it isn't mentioned in their profile, otherwise the reports are meaningless.

It's the unbroken sunshine that makes this so odd. It's now a beautiful day except for the 50 mph wind !.

Some nice live data here for those in the West. The wind is shifting from SW to W

http://www.orbitalwinds.com/weather-live.html

Done

• Advertisement

theres a tree blown down in my estate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭snowstreams

There are a few small trees down in my estate in Galway city. But there is a large tree down in the carpark where i work. Looks like a few more could possibly go. Park wisely so!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

North County Dublin. Just South of Balbriggan.
    10mns ago. quite possibly the strongest gust I have ever heard/felt. Really thought a window was gonna give. Tired of picking up the bins at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭genie

Extremely stormy here in SE Co. Sligo, between Riverstown and Geevagh with squally showers. No damage but lots of branches down in the back garden and leaves everywhere.

Also experiencing power surges which knocks my electric off. Check your trip switches if you're having problems. :)

Stay safe!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Max gust recorded at my home station so far today was 96.4km/h @ 12.22pm Avg. winds of 50 - 60km/h with Avg. gust of 70 - 80km/h.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Another wind non event here in Waterford. Average 22km/h, max gust only 50km/h at 8.30am. Some huge numbers in other parts of the country though. A major storm for lots.

Edit, A gust of 98.2km/h recorded at Dublin Airport

The car is covered in salt water here, gusts coming straight in from the sea. Dangerous day to be out.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Another wind non event here in Waterford. Average 22km/h, max gust only 50km/h at 8.30am. Some huge numbers in other parts of the country though. A major storm for lots.

These lows rarely swing far enough south to make it an event down here.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Particularly vicious here last 30 minutes.

Decent sized tree down up the road.

Few hanging on for dear life.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,842 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

The wind seems to be at its peak here now. A couple of trees down so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Where's here ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Discodog wrote: »
    Where's here ?

The Fires of Hell, natch. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭rhonin

Extremely windy. Some very strong gusts. One of our trees in the garden is split in two.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Lightning here now too, just had a power surge that knocked everything off and has wiped my weather station data :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,842 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

rhonin wrote: »
    Extremely windy. Some very strong gusts. One of our trees in the garden is split in two.

I just hope it wasn't one of your favourite trees:p Pangea is in bits this afternoon, his new favourite tree came down:D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

These lows rarely swing far enough south to make it an event down here.

Thats true Maq. Just thought on this occasion with the set up and widespread gales predicted that the max gust would be higher than 50km/h. Should have trusted my instinct and not get to excited ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭rhonin

I just hope it wasn't one of your favourite trees:p Pangea is in bits this afternoon, his new favourite tree came down:D

No, but it was a nice tree all the same :D
    I planted some new ones about two weeks ago. They haven't had a break from the wind since! Not sure if they'll make it past today :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

wind seems to have picked up again here with some squally showers

• Registered Users Posts: 6,286 ✭✭✭emo72

im in work in dublin and it doesnt seem that bad. i have a couple of large birches in the garden in lucan that i would be concerned about. can anyone in lucan give me an update?

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭martic

I took this today 5 minutes before I tied the trampoline to a tree phewww:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Mayo Exile

At 1.08pm BST.

160151.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

um, have we traveled back in time or what?? never experienced this kind of wind in may before.

I just hope it wasn't one of your favourite trees:p
    Il never live that down :o:D

Rain has been very heavy here the past hour or so.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

seems to have peaked in the west , Malin just recorded 72kt gusts though :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭lucy2010

sunbabe08 wrote: »
    um, have we traveled back in time or what?? never experienced this kind of wind in may before.

Thats exactly what I said earlier - ANyone any insight into when summer is actually gonna start ? every day the return of warmth is pushed out another few days

Advertisement